What does a Time Elemental do?

BoneDaddy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What does a Time Elemental do?

On a pedantic note, I don't really think abstract concepts like time and space lend themselves to having "elementals" the same way material objects and physical forces do. Entities that represent or manipulate aspects of the concept, sure, but I don't think they are elementals in the same way that an animating spirit building its body out of soil, water, etc. in the environment is. And the further you get from the four classical elements (or their Asian equivalents), the murkier the concept becomes.

You have to be very careful about wording your commands to a time elemental. If you tell it to retrieve the maguffin that the heroes are escaping with, it is entirely plausible for it to blink out for a moment and hand it to you -- even though you can see it still in the heroes hands on your security cameras. They are more like time than like space, so their concept of when to do a thing is very different from yours.

On a pedantic note' date=' I don't really think abstract concepts like time and space lend themselves to having "elementals" the same way material objects and physical forces do. Entities that represent or manipulate aspects of the concept, sure, but I don't think they are elementals in the same way that an animating spirit building its body out of soil, water, etc. in the environment is. And the further you get from the four classical elements (or their Asian equivalents), the murkier the concept becomes.[/quote']

While I agree with you in part, you would also have to consider that cosmic beings of such fundamental concepts and forces would almost have to have lesser beings and representatives in order to interact with the details. Their powers are on such a massive scale that nearly anything that they do would have significant repercussions over a very wide area. Their "hand" is too large for the work, so that have "tools" "made" to fit the detail level needed. Elementals would near the finest level of detail for most work, be the most numerous, and have the least power, and thus the easiest and most likely servants of the type for a mortal or semi-mortal to find, control, and command.

Gemphyre

On a pedantic note' date=' I don't really think abstract concepts like time and space lend themselves to having "elementals" the same way material objects and physical forces do. Entities that represent or manipulate aspects of the concept, sure, but I don't think they are elementals in the same way that an animating spirit building its body out of soil, water, etc. in the environment is. And the further you get from the four classical elements (or their Asian equivalents), the murkier the concept becomes.[/quote']

I think the term 'Elemental' is too narrow. There are plenty of abstract concepts that lend themselves to Representation (Angels represent Good, Demons and Devils represent Evil). Perhaps a better term for these Entities would be 'Conceptuals', but 'Elemental' has a recognized and accepted place in gaming parlance for beings that represent other Forces, whether elements or not.

Re: ?od latnemelE emiT a seod tahW :eR

OK. who let Zatanna onto the board? You get one magician on the site' date=' and others follow. The whole place could go to Hell. Literally.[/quote']

Wouldn't be the first time I've followed fishnets to Hell.

You could have a heirarchy of time elementals: second chances, minutemen, happy hours, day planners, week-long benders, years of living dangerously.

Re: ?od latnemelE emiT a seod tahW :eR

You could have a heirarchy of time elementals: second chances' date=' minutemen, happy hours, day planners, week-long benders, years of living dangerously.[/quote']You forgot "misspent Youth."

Also, with so many levels in this hierarchy, I think we may need a Time Elemental Table. :)

A time elemental can do whatever it wants. It has all the time it needs to move' date=' collect whatever items it may need, and to make all the necessary skill rolls.[/quote']

That's assuming that time elementals have unlimited power to work with. Just as a given fire elemental can't burn everything a given time elemental probably wouldn't be able to control time to an unlimited extent. Only as much as it has power to do,

New Concept: Paradox Elemental - discuss

I came up with a character called Paradox who did things like deflecting missiles by making them move around him in a straight line, slowly walking at a hundred miles an hour, and freezing people with the heat from sunlight. He was, to put it mildly, challenging to run.