Toons

Ragitsu

Re: Toons

Going thru painted doors' date=' tunnels, etc... Sometimes they're the ones that did the painting, other times not.[/quote']

Teleport gates would encompass a lot of classic gags - painted tunnels, moving in and out of different doors or drawers, etc.

Shapeshifting of various types, to hide behind a skinny tree or disguise oneself as the opposite sex.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Only for comedic affect" as a limitation, or uncontrolled. eg. a lot of powers can only be used when they would be funny. You can't teleport/tunnel/fly casually all the time, but when the laugh calls for it, you deliver. You should only get points for it playing a toon in "real" world. In a toon campaign everything you do and that happens to you is for comedy, so it's not worth a whole lot.

not exactly. It starts out as the same power (flight)' date=' but then gets modified to represent the final effect. For example, cartoon "walking on air" would be flight equal to your ground movement, with the advantage of "no turn mode" and the limitations of "level flight only" (or "can't climb/dive") and "no conscious control" at the -1 level, since it only works as long as you''re not aware you're doing it.[/quote']

would enviromental movement tOon work

Upon further reflection, the year Who Framed Roger Rabbit came out I ran a short campaign where the characters could be "toon" or "real". The build we used for toons included Desolidification (ineffective against "the Dip", couldn't pass through solid obstacles unless it was funny, etc., no protection from stun) and a few other things I can't quite remember. ISTR we just house-ruled that toons operated by different natural laws than reals, allowing them to fail to fall (and other "toonpossible" shenanigans) until they make a Perception roll. Depending upon how good the Per roll was, they might even have a chance to mitigate the disaster about to befall them.*

Nowadays I think I'd just have the toons created as characters w/o the "body" characteristic, with desolidification and some sort of luck-based skill that allowed the character to perform cartoonish stunts when the situation required. [i'm outta time on this computer so I can't edit for clarity -- sorry!]

*Such as running back onto the cliff they just walked off of.

Here's a link to a pretty exhaustive list of the Laws of Cartoon Physics. A few of my faves:

III: Any body passing through solid matter will leave a perforation conforming to its perimeter.

Also called the silhouette of passage, this phenomenon is the speciality of victims of directed-pressure explosions and of reckless cowards who are so eager to escape that they exit directly through the wall of a house, leaving a cookie-cutout-perfect hole. The threat of skunks or matrimony often catalyzes this reaction.

VIII: Any violent rearrangement of feline matter is impermanent.

Cartoon cats possess even more deaths than the traditional nine lives might comfortably afford. They can be decimated, spliced, splayed, accordion-pleated, spindled, or disassembled, but they cannot be destroyed. After a few moments of blinking self pity, they reinflate, elongate, snap back, or solidify.

Corollary: A cat will assume the shape of its container.

...Nowadays I think I'd just have the toons created as characters w/o the "body" characteristic...

How would you deal with transforms? It seems in-genre to have them work at full effect. Anyone with an ACME grimoire and a "Alakazam!" can turn you into a toad. or plaid. or an elephant. Removal of body for toons has a few quirks that ego doesn't have for automatons.

How would you deal with transforms? It seems in-genre to have them work at full effect. Anyone with an ACME grimoire and a "Alakazam!" can turn you into a toad. or plaid. or an elephant. Removal of body for toons has a few quirks that ego doesn't have for automatons.

ISTR that transformation attacks not only happen automatically, sometimes they are imposed by the application of hurt. Otherwise how would a toon shatter like glass, produce a dustpan and whisk broom, and sweep up his own pieces. The GM must define some of the physics as they appto toons.

Dice implies that there is a chance it won't occur. He has a physical limit "always fails"
Not always. He caught the Road Runner at least once. Maybe twice. The Road Runner also has 5d6 of Luck.
I'd say he has at least 10d6... or however many dice are needed to have at least a 90% chance of getting at least 2 levels.

• 3 months later...