It's Groundhog Day

Mark Rand

I thought this might be a good one for Groundhog Day.

Your city's Groundhog Day festivals are in full swing. At daybreak, one of the men on stage lifts a supposedly-male groundhog from its hole. Said groundhog bites and claws its way free, jumps off the stage, and runs through the crowd until it reaches a youthful-looking American Indian woman.

She picks it up, and listens while the groundhog makes noise, then says to the group on stage, "You shouldn't have taken a female groundhog from the zoo for your silly ceremony. I'm taking her back right now." When the people on stage tell her that the groundhog has to make its prediction, she replied, "You already decided what it will be," then carries the animal to a zoo-owned truck, loads it into a proper-sized animal carrier, and drives away.

Anyone checking on the woman finds out that she's Rebecca Little Deer, D.V.M., the zoo's veterinarian. According to urban legend, she can talk to the animals.

WWYCD?

Re: It's Groundhog Day

Version One would approach Rebecca Little Deer and point out that they just made a stupid mistake. They shouldn't have to suffer horribly. I therefore ask how bad the prediction is and what can be done to stop it.

"The prediction is whether or not we're going to have six more weeks of winter," she replies. "Normally when an animal is taken somewhere, the animal's keepers and I are told about it far enough in advance for us to select an animal and get it accostomed to being handled by strangers. If it's going somewhere local, I'll accompany it. That didn't happen this time."

I thought this might be a good one for Groundhog Day.

Your city's Groundhog Day festivals are in full swing. At daybreak, one of the men on stage lifts a supposedly-male groundhog from its hole. Said groundhog bites and claws its way free, jumps off the stage, and runs through the crowd until it reaches a youthful-looking American Indian woman.

She picks it up, and listens while the groundhog makes noise, then says to the group on stage, "You shouldn't have taken a female groundhog from the zoo for your silly ceremony. I'm taking her back right now." When the people on stage tell her that the groundhog has to make its prediction, she replied, "You already decided what it will be," then carries the animal to a zoo-owned truck, loads it into a proper-sized animal carrier, and drives away.

Anyone checking on the woman finds out that she's Rebecca Little Deer, D.V.M., the zoo's veterinarian. According to urban legend, she can talk to the animals.

WWYCD?

Vitus : Baffled as to why it makes any difference. Do female groundhogs roast better, or something? They look to be about the right size for a simple meal.

Zero would be mildly perturbed, but that's the ground(hog) state for him. He wouldn't envy her power either - he has enough problems with Telepathy ( Human & Alien Minds ) to include Animal in the ability as well.

Being a winter godess with a sense of humor' date=' Chill Out Woman would laugh at whatever predictions these silly mortals came up with and made sure the reverse happened. They say 6 more weeks of winter? Clear skies and sunny. They say winter is over, it'll be a snowstorm in a week.[/quote']

Unless of course Phil is actually her avatar

Being a winter godess with a sense of humor' date=' Chill Out Woman would laugh at whatever predictions these silly mortals came up with and made sure the reverse happened. They say 6 more weeks of winter? Clear skies and sunny. They say winter is over, it'll be a snowstorm in a week.[/quote']

*looks out the window*

What do I need to sacrifice to get those clear sunny skies?