What do you really think of Champions Online?

Lord Liaden

Re: What do you really think of Champions Online?

I played the beta and then a little after release and what I do like is the look and character creation processes. I was (and still am) a huge fan of the Hero System so I enjoyed the number crunchiness of the character choices and mechanics.

What I found when I played was definitely a very "new" game. Still had glitches, super running as a travel power suffered the same issues as CoH did in the beginning - any villain on the street you passed could hit you and knock you down no matter how much of a blur you were passing them, not all the character action and fight animations were appropriate for the move you were executing - I tried to make a mace wielding behemoth but he struck and leapt around as if he were a nimble ninja.

So I will see if it ever comes out for Xbox and try it there, perhaps back on the PC version in a year or so just to see what kinks they work out of it.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've come back to it after getting a dose of it in the beta version. I'm really liking it right now, but to be honest that could be due to the utter dearth of 4-color superhero gaming in my current PnP queue (which only has urban dark fantasy and post-apocalyptia in it right now). I am still a little iffy about the "cell-shade" thing, but it's grown on me. I really like the character generation options, but I do find the interface for the creator a little unwieldy. I am a little disappointed that I can't change some of the colors on my power effects. For instance, on my gadgeteer's entangle grenades, the goop is always white, although my designated effect color is green. Being able to preview what some of the weapons (especially guns) look like would be a great option - maybe there's already a way to do this, but I haven't found it, and it's bloody expensive, especially early on, to change the costume. I can't explain how annoying it is to a superhero generation geek like me to see my undead gunfighter whip out modernized .45s.

I kind of accept the boss-poaching as par for the course, but it does get irritating. It's so easy to just group up quickly to snag the guy and let everyone get credit. **insert old geek grumbling here**

• 1 month later...

It's kinda fun for now. I signed up for a 3-month sub, after getting an impulse to try the free trial, aka the tutorial. Highest char is at 18. I still, mind you, have my CoX sub, but barely play - and LOTRO is the MMO that my wife plays with me.

When we have any time to do so... which is maybe about an hour a week these days, due to our 2-year old's current 10 pm sleeping time. After which I fall over, to be up when she gets up between 6 am and 7 am.

I will admit, I barely read the mission descriptions. Leveling is fast enough, though, that I'm enjoying the process of building the character(s).

Initially I thought the graphics were lame - on screenshots - but I'm okay with them now.

My only real problem with the game is that it's too freaking BRIGHT. If I play for more than an hour, my eyes hurt. Haven't had that happen with LOTRO *ever*.

• 3 weeks later...

1) I dislike not having the "phone" system. Having to keep coming back to the contact is annoying even if I have a better travel power earlier on.

2) As having noted in other messages, the missions do not scale well to teams.

3) I haven't played other character types much, but there should be more team reliant powers. In CoX, the Controller and Defender classes while playable by itself, really shines in groups. It may be that these powers just aren't as prevalent in CO which indicates an issue in antagonist tactics or the fact that its playable by yourself. I am guessing that the best solution would be missions which require teams to complete at a moderate level. Tactical solution like agents who run up and need to be taken on by a tank with ranged support agents behind them. Even in the master villain scenes, ranged support would make the master villain solvable with only teammates.

4) CO would do well with a few complications. Players could have a vulnerability which increases damage to them or a psychological disadvantage which forces them to accept missions (must protect innocents, CvK, etc.). A DNPC would also be a nice hook for some missions. In exchange, the player could get one more power or talent.

5) While character design is OK, though some of the designs need work.

5a) The faces look too cartoony to me.

5b) The hairstyles don't look like comic book hairstyles. Most look flat and greasy to me.

5c) The shoes are fairly plain. Try making a female character with high heels.

5d) I don't know if its my graphics card but the clothing with skin options always seem jagged from a certain distance.

5e) The variance of weapons should be doubled.

6) Crafting seems useless and long. I tried to start with a crafting character but gave up quickly as blueprints and item acquisition seem to take too long.

7) I keep losing the placed powers. I play with a mouse on a laptop and rarely hit the number keys. Playing it in this style, I keep losing the power slotted to a number.

8) It would be nice if the mission trees actually "Y" branch every so often. Even if each branch would eventually end up at the same final mission. It would at least look like you had choice.

I played City of Heroes/ City of Villains then got bored with it. Champions Online came out and I bought it and I loved it. The characters looked better, there were more costume options, and you could make a character that was very similar to, if not identical, your favorite Marvel or DC characters. Champions has a wider array of powers including movement powers that are unavailable in CoH. I created dozens of characters and played them up to tenth to sixteenth level. I really like the game-play and even though I am a strict solo player, the interactions with other players were always pleasant (surprisingly so). After a virus and reformatting of my hard drive, it was easy to get back into the game. I AM currently having a problem with my display driver not allowing me to update it which makes it difficult to play the game, but that is not CO's fault. I give it a 7.5-8 of 10.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive played 2 zones so far and I like it so far. The character design is interesting and I like the setting though I hate Defenders new look. Im considering trying out some new builds and powersets though I want to go through the game with my main character first.

• 4 weeks later...

Played the beta and liked it enough to buy a lifetime. Have to say I haven't logged on for a serious session in over a month. Hooked up with a supergroup, but never once ran any missions with any of them. Played solo for the most part with the occasional cooperative effort (not needed, but tried for the experience of grouping). I still like the game, but aren't really interested in repeating the same leveling path. Got the lifetime so I could check back in as new content develops...

I almost never think of Champions Online at all.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary even wants to get one of those t shirts that say "What's Champions?" but have you ever tried to find a t shirt to fit a palindromedary?

As I'm not a subscriber, don't have the computer setup to run Champions Online, and am not interested in MMORPGs generally, I have no experience with the game. However, as someone with considerable interest in the Champions Universe itself, I find it annoying that much of the evolution of the setting is now occurring through ongoing scenarios in the game to which I'm not privy. I'm also sometimes frustrated that non-subscribers can't post to the CO discussion forums. I often see members of that community asking CU-related questions to which I could happily supply answers if I could just get on the board. :(

Well, technically speaking it IS their setting now. Some back and forth would be nice. Honestly, the only reason I keep it around anymore is just for the character creater, then it's Print Screen, and some paste onto a character folder.

~Rex

I logged in to the game for the first time in months a week ago. Got a bunch of perks that they must have added. Also found some of my powers missing and other changes in my characters configuration. Must have been caused by one of the updates since I was last on.

I did enjoy the game. Maxed out my character and moved on to other hobbies. I have a lifetime subscription, so will probably return to it at some point in the future. I do agree that I can see myself using it as a character image creator for HD.

Was interesting reading Champions Universe and recognizing some of the online events.

I find it it considerably enjoyable. Being a big comic book fan growing up I am glad to finally see some of my ideas coming to life using their wonderful Character Creator; now if they can only get around to implementing an UGC system so I can create my own scenarios.:eg:

Starting to notice though that the folks that jumped in on the lifetime subscriptions, seem to have the better opinion of the game......methinks a trend, *shrug*........Could be worse I suppose. A UGC system would rekindle my interest and bolster my resistance to the things that irritate the hell out of me about the set up.

~Rex

Starting to notice though that the folks that jumped in on the lifetime subscriptions, seem to have the better opinion of the game......methinks a trend, *shrug*........Could be worse I suppose. A UGC system would rekindle my interest and bolster my resistance to the things that irritate the hell out of me about the set up.

~Rex

The UGC would at least allow us to create our own scenarios, so we could essential create a good deal of content. Besides I am almost convinced that the players are capable of creating more compelling stories than the overly generic ones in the game.:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I just got done giving it a try for a month. My impression is that it's pretty bland. Yes, there were some aspects that were enjoyable but by and large it was just blah.I find the crafting system to be just awful, and that goes for the dumba$$ equipment that I have to tack onto my characters in order to improve them. Something that I should be doing with with my XPs.

I'm sorry but this is not Champions except in the most superficial of ways. I'm done as of tomorrow and I won't be going back.

• 2 weeks later...

I played for a few hours in total. The char gen was very fun, and the game play was alright, but from what I heard, you only get a small handful of abilities, and that's it. Gameplay-wise, I felt like all I was doing was hitting 1-1-1-2-1-1-1-2 on the keyboard, with perhaps a third or fourth button.

After being told that was pretty much how the game plays through the higher levels, I cancelled my account about a week into playing. Maybe I was misinformed, but it just didn't sound engaging enough. I was hoping for more flexibility or variety I guess. I was somehow hoping for some magical marriage of pen and paper with MMO graphics and interactivity. If they were to add the Mission Architect feature from CoH, I would probably give it a try again. I'd love to somehow play pen and paper style with a game master, within the MMO. Why hasn't that happened yet?

IMO the game should have used build for build, point for point the HERO system for character creation as is, it is lacking in power and character type builds. Example: No stretchy types, No Mimics or Power stealer types. They also need to add vehicles and the ability to travel through power-lines with electrical types. Just a few things off the top of my head.

I've noticed basically the single most common thing that the Pro people have, is the lifetime membership.....However since that's not available, I expect a few things coming up, to Kill CO, since it's not Champions enough to make the HERO folks happy, that just leaves the MMO folks, and that group, is very fickle. Attention Span of a gnat basically.

I expect a giagantic exodus for City of Heroes 2, DC Online, Knights of the Old Republic, then of course, what ever the only really successful MMO (WoW) comes up with as another chapter will draw even more folks away. Without something like UGC, or a real point build, or something different like stretchy characters, giant characters shrinkers and mimics etc.....It's just another MMO, and not a very exciting one for folks looking for Champions. It was cute for awhile, but it's basically, white bread mayo and bologna.....

~Rex

I actually kind of disagree. I write for the game so I'm a little biased, but the game has come quite a long way since release. There's a lot of ways to build a character that doesn't cycle the same power over and over. The fact that the open character system is so open makes it a little unintuitive, but I feel it's worth the trouble to learn. After all, you guys learned how to play Champions, and that game has way, way more difficult nuances than CO does.

I actually kind of disagree. I write for the game so I'm a little biased' date=' but the game has come quite a long way since release. There's a lot of ways to build a character that doesn't cycle the same power over and over. The fact that the open character system is so open makes it a little unintuitive, but I feel it's worth the trouble to learn. After all, you guys learned how to play Champions, and that game has way, way more difficult nuances than CO does.[/quote']

And that's very true Patrick, but unfortunently, much like any MMO, the game lacks the over riding controling influence of a GM that says, NO, that's just Stupid. While the open character system allows for a lot that is similar to the book game, it doesn't build the same way, to do the same stuff, and where it deviates it deviates so much, it actually irritates, especially to a lot of us that have been playing the Book version of the game, for Longer then what a lot of your typical MMO players have been Alive, or at least old enough to be outside past the time the street lights come on. It's not that we can't or don't want to learn it, it's that it's so simplified and easy it's like going back to playing chutes and ladders after you've been rated as a grand master in Chess or Go. The Lowest Common Denominator approach that any MMO takes to generating it's respective audience, bores the hell out me, probably a few others I can think of as well.

While it HAS come a long way, it's also exceedingly repetitive. Now that's not really fair to pick at since it hasn't been around very long yet, but it's still a point. As for the LCD issue, it wouldn't be a wise move on your guy's parts to crank things up to the level that I or others like myself would find enjoyable, because quite simply that would be to "Hard" for the general MMO grognard, making it feel like "work", and they would wander off to find something less thought intensive.

You made a good point there, coming from a computer gamer point of view about the Champions game book wise, having more difficult nuances then CO does. Here's the thing though. CO, Isn't the Book Game, and we that love the book game, don't find the book game difficult at all, it's vastly intuitive and instinctive for a lot of us. The CO game though, to us at least; well let's use an old example. A long time ago there was a toyline called The Micronauts. They were the thing to get for a christmas or birthday present back in the day. Lot of cool interchangable parts and what not. Lot of potential for good clean kid fun. Then one day, the LCD crowd got involved, and you opened up your cool box with Force Commander or Baron Karza in it, and the LCD movement, had GLUED all the parts onto the toy.

Looked kinda like a Micronaut....wasn't a micornaut anymore....That's what CO feels like.....Looks like Champions.....doesn't act like it or feel like it, doesn't let you do as much and what you can do, is repetative. Everything new is just MMO rewash (Pets....hmmm) that's been seen in every other MMO out there. What would have made it stand out, and unique, is if, just if, it had been structured like the book enough to where we that play and enjoy the book game, could feel that we had made a book character. It's just another Micro Transaction Driven MMO....which is fine, there are people out there that are happy with that. It's just missing things that would make me want to spend 15 bucks a month on it, and in todays economy, I can save that up for a half a tank of gas, or in two months time, have almost enough scratch to pick up another of the HERO system books. When it develops past ...."Talk to A, go to B, Beat up C, pick up D, take it back to A, get a GIZMO to add to my non gizmo using Mutant whatever...." Then I'll take another look. It has improved, I'll grant it that much.

~Rex

Personally, I think CO should have been what CoX should have been. The current animations and power sets are PERFECT for Super's play. More than CoX Fantasy set up (Controllers, and Defenders? Really? Have you seen anything remotely like that in any comic book?) Unfortunately, CoX has momentum behind it, and CO has nothing, also the former management didn't exactly expand from the CoX formula, which cripples the game more than it should.

But the powers and the current animations, man... What it could have been... Pity.

To Patrick and Rex's points the Hero system cannot be translated to an MMO because there is no GM. However, CO is the most flexible game I've seen currently on the market the only game that was more flexible was Freedom Force but that was a traditional computer game not an MMO.

One of the things that has always bothered me about CO is the rolling puns and lack of quality writing. Honestly I think people, myself included, would be a lot more involved with the game if the missions felt less generic and drew more from the history of the setting. Actually this is something I think they tried to address with Serpent's Lantern and hope they continue to work on with the Adventure packs. Although I really wish they would go back and clean up some of the pitiful story arcs already in the game, give us a reason to read the mission descriptions.

Lastly, yes Pets are an MMO staple but in the Hero system you have both Summons and Followers and I'm sure there are people on these boards that can give you a list of Summoner type characters.