Champions Online - Cue Dead Parrot Sketch!

Logan D

Re: Champions Online - Cue Dead Parrot Sketch!

The parrot isn't dead. It's not getting on the cart. It feels happy.

And I have a feeling some of those who sold off/cancelled lifetime accounts might regret the hastiness.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=99974

http://www.champions-online.com/node/594840

Well!

I must say I'm impressed. It appears they are listening. I'm cautiously optimistic. But I'd like to see actions as well as words. Still - even the initial changing of VB to free content and owning up to the mistakes made already is huge. (And those screenshots are awesome!)

I'm not quite ready to eat crow just yet. But I'm surveying the menu for appetizers.

I won't eat crow at all. The player base had valid concerns and issues before Vibora Pay was dropped on us and these still need to be addressed. Cryptic seems more responsive and I am hopeful for the future of CO. But they still got to walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

And I have a feeling some of those who sold off/cancelled lifetime accounts might regret the hastiness.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=99974

I doubt it. I read that press release and had a flash-back to the City of Heroes days. It all sounded so similar. Rushed patches, not properly QA'ed. Followed by more hasty patching. Oh dear.

They say they have learnt their lessons but I find it hard to imagine they have learnt anything in the few months of CO that the failed to learn in the 5 years of COH.

I doubt it. I read that press release and had a flash-back to the City of Heroes days. It all sounded so similar. Rushed patches, not properly QA'ed. Followed by more hasty patching. Oh dear.

They say they have learnt their lessons but I find it hard to imagine they have learnt anything in the few months of CO that the failed to learn in the 5 years of COH.

Doom. Doom! DOOM!

Since Vibora Pay, became Vibora Bay, I may have to adjust my pick in the pool, to 9 months instead of 6. If they manage to fix some simple stuff, like not making everything that's white look like a bad case of "OMG I looked at the Arc Welder point without Eye Protection!", and better handling interface wise (Still trying to figure out how to Walk myself). Might be convinced to give them a Year after I see it on the new machine.

~Rex

Doom. Doom! DOOM!

Yes, I thought that post came from Latveria too.

My latest MMO theorey: some players subscribe to a new MMO hoping it has problems, so they can enjoy the drama of being the outraged consumer. Someone should make an onlien game that caters to thsi market..where the game lets you create an MMO player, who goes from game to game, fighting evil developers who are just trying to steal their money and ruin PVP for them. Character cklasses include the bitterboy, the PVPuberalles fanatic, the fanatic concept builder, the nerfhater, and the elite "I played this game for four hours and learned all I needed to know to make my 4 weeks of criticism posts" commando

Character cklasses include the bitterboy' date=' the PVPuberalles fanatic, the fanatic concept builder, the nerfhater, and the elite "I played this game for four hours and learned all I needed to know to make my 4 weeks of criticism posts" commando[/quote']

You missed off Fanboi. If you miss off Fanboi how can you ever have true PvP?

Sorry you guys thought that was a Doom post. But you need to realise that just because I find CO to be a content poor and technically unrealiable MMO shouldn't effect your enjoyment. However people need to be aware that Cryptic promised to fix their poor QA practices with every patch they made during their time at City of Heroes. I think it irrational to believe someone will stop doing something if they have previously told you a dozen times they will stop but haven't yet.

But please continue with your sarcastic posts to validate your purchase.

I just wanted it for the Character generator, since, I can't draw worth a hill of beans. MMO wise, I agree with the above, Clunky, and content poor. ALMOST, enjoyed it a bit in the free demo, then of course, the free demo doesn't let you do anything but run around and punch things, then, HINTS at something Grand, and goes, "Nope, you don't get to See the One thing that could actually get you to pull the trigger on the purchase, BUT, go ahead and read all the reviews and go, WOW, glad I didn't buy a life time....."

I may hop in for a month though once I get the new machine built, since a lot of friends of mine around here play it, but still, wouldn't mind knowing how to WALK really. :D

~Rex

Walking is a standard Keybind. But it's not automatically included. Go to options - Keybinds, and find the Walk command and link it to a key of your choice. Then walking is easy. But it's not a toggle. You have to hold down that key while moving in order to walk.

*Takes notes* Will give it a shot' date=' maybe that will help with my clunky steering that annoys me so.[/quote']

Play with your graphics settings as well. I used to have really horrible steering, and it improved a lot with some changes (I think it was postprocessing, not sure at this point).

I doubt anyone who cancelled their subscription (or sold it off) is crying in their beer.

If someone were to quit solely based off of paying for an update, they are the type of person that is not going to stick to anything for any length of time to begin with.

The other people that quit, I would imagine, are primarily the 'straw the broke the camel's back' crowd. There are a number of people I've run into (both in person and virtually) who just had enough. This was just the last thing in a long line of disappointments, for them, that pushed it over the edge into quitting.

It's very easy to put out a fancy tempting press release. It's another thing entirely to meet that standard.

Actually I suspect that most of the folks who have let their subs lapse or otherwise quit are simply done with the game for now, because their fun/frustration level has gotten too low. While some of this may be frustration creeping up in the most vocal cases, it's more likely in the majority of cases that the primary cause is the fun level dropping as ppl go through the motions of 'been there, done that.' Some games do a better job of not just enabling multiple playthroughs with different options to try, but rewarding multiple playthroughs with a variety of well-balanced playstyles to choose from. Unfortunately, CO isn't one of them, IMHO; playing through CO with multiple characters provides a very 'samey' play experience.

I was a beta tester in CO and liked the innovation. However, the debacle that was the first week strained my tolerances for the birthing pains of an MMO. I have my lifetime membership. I don't feel cheated because I knew going in that the nature of games is ever in flux. I haven't played in a few months but, as long as the game is active I can go back and try it out to see what is new. Perhaps in March I'll do just that.

• 2 months later...

Agreed entirely Logan. (And I didn't realise that you had been playing CO. Had I known... who am I kidding? I'd have still dumped the game)

For a while, I was helping to run a community fan wiki. Within a month I was the sole moderator, as the others had stopped playing. As near as I can tell, its entirely leaderless now. And nobody's even bothering to take my place.

(Incidentally, Logan, if I can ask, what chracter were you playing?)

Well, I'm guessing your talking about Primus Database here. I do agree that the initial mod staff just up and disappeared, no forwarding address. But I have been doing quite a bit to keep it going and brush off the riff raff. I do thank you for setting it up and I hope it continues for a long time.

In a more general note as to the state of the game, I still like it a great deal. I'm hoping to see more content just like everyone else, but I'm not judging it on the basis of what other mmo's have done, just on what it has managed to do. I think the economic timeframe of WOWs release is a big factor in how it managed to do so much with what looked like so little. Given that a computer game costs twice as much a s console game to develop (around a mil, instead of half a mil ) and the economic state of not just the country but the world, come change has to be expected in what a game looks like at release, and how much content it addition it receives over time.

Anyway Parrot aint dead, and neither is Primus Database

MP