HERO System Martial Arts

Steve Long

Here's our back-cover text for HSMA:

MASTER THE FIGHTING ARTS!

Can your kung fu beat your enemy’s kung fu? It can if you’ve got HERO System Martial Arts! A comprehensive guide to martial arts in the HERO System, HSMA is filled with information and rules about every aspect of the martial arts. It’s got everything you need to create and play a martial artist character in any campaign, genre, time period, or setting. It includes:

—Information about, and HERO System rules for, over 160 real-world martial arts styles and variants, plus numerous fictional styles

—Over 200 special abilities for martial artists

—An expanded list of Martial Maneuvers, plus rules for creating your own martial arts maneuvers and styles

—Rules for martial artist character creation

—Additional hand-to-hand combat rules for the HERO System

—Over 130 martial arts weapons

—A thorough look at the Martial Arts genre, with details on subgenres, character types, gamemastering, and more

Get ready to learn the secret techniques of the master warriors with HERO System Martial Arts!

DOJHERO1005

978-1-58366-124-6

$29.99

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Re: HERO System Martial Arts

I believe the intent is for HSMA, along with the Bestiary and the Vehicle book (among others), to become one of the "core books" central to the 6E rules set.

Steve will probably be along presently to explain it greater detail. ^_^

From the description sound like Ninja Hero for 4th (the content of NH 5th + UMA ampliated and updated for HS 6th), I mean this will count even as a genre book?

It does cover the genre to some extent, but I wouldn't really refer to it as a "genre book." I think of it more simply as a HERO System Core Library supplement. The exact terminology really doesn't matter, though, as long as you enjoy the contents. ;)

Well Ninja HERO makes one think that the game is centered around ninja/shinobi. But Martial Arts is a very wide field and so a title that implies a greater range. That is just my opinion. Also I suspect Steve aligning himself with pirates in the internet meme.

Well Ninja HERO makes one think that the game is centered around ninja/shinobi. But Martial Arts is a very wide field and so a title that implies a greater range. That is just my opinion. Also I suspect Steve aligning himself with pirates in the internet meme.

also since the books a COMBINATIONof NHand UMA the name change was justified

i was wondering why did they break with tradition and abandon the NINJA HERO title?

I remember Steve Long posting remarks to the effect that he was tired of hearing complaints from people that they couldn't tell what the contents of some Fifth Edition books were from the titles. So for Sixth Edition he's eschewing clever and catchy in favor of titles which, if I remember his words correctly, are so clear "a baboon could understand them." Which, considering some of the gamers we've all come across, is probably appropriate. :rolleyes:

Yep. I sent a new' date=' smaller version to Jason over the weekend. I'm sure he'll be putting it up on the store in a couple days.[/quote']

The new, smaller version of the PDF is up. From 47.9 MB to 16.6 MB. Great Job to both bunneh and Jason for fixing it so quickly.

To respond quickly to a couple of questions:

1. HSMA is a softcover, b&w book.

2. We didn't title this book "Ninja Hero" because that title would be inappropriate. "Ninja Hero" is a genre -- our term for games simulating the Martial Arts as a genre, in other words -- but HSMA goes well beyond mere genre considerations by including the sort of material that appeared in UMA prior to now. HSMA does use the term "Ninja Hero" in its text when referring to the Martial Arts as a genre, and other HERO System books will as well.

And then there's that whole "baboon understanding" thing Lord Liaden mentions. ;)

Just downloaded the HSMA PDF and had a quick look inside. Looks great, lots of juicy info. Can't wait to get some time to give it a good read. Well done!

The only thing I don't like is that it looks naked. Yeap, put it in the same directory with the other HS6 PDFs and it doesn't fit in. Every other PDF is colorful while HSMA is just black and white. I imagine the cover was not put on to make it smaller, but for me I rather have the extra size and a nice colorful cover.