How would you

JmOz

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

Try this one: It will stop pretty much ANYONE, eventually (except those with Power Defense), even those who are intangible (Affects Desolid). The cost listed is for 1d6; season to taste by buying multiple d6's to speed up the effect. The focus is a gold pocketwatch (for nostalgia's sake; remember that bad old TV-movie?)

Using the rules for partial Transforms, everyone would sloooow down until they stopped.

The way to stop the "Uncontrolled" is that after one minute of 'internal' time for the user, the effect shuts off, and the Transform is an all-or-nothing reversion as well (reverts when the watch shuts off). I toyed with the idea of using a charge that lasts for 1 minute, but didn't really see it was necessary, since I had to define a way to stop the "Uncontrolled" in any case.

Pts.  Powers END
43   Time Stop: Transform 1d6: Transform all targets into targets frozen in time (Major), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Affects Desolidified (Any form of Desolidification; +1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Megascale (1" = 10000 km; +1 1/4), Can Be Scaled Down: 1" = 1km (+1/4) (86 Active Points); Gold Pocketwatch IAF Fragile (-3/4), Gestures (Must push button on watch) (-1/4) 

So it would take longer to slow down a fat person than a supermodel? ;)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Gary

So it would take longer to slow down a fat person than a supermodel? ;)

Well...if the fat person has more BODY, then yeah, I guess so...

I *did* toy with making the effect vs. CON or EGO instead of BOD, but in the end decided it wasn't worth the extra hassle, and the final result probably wouldn't vary by much. :)

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

Well...if the fat person has more BODY, then yeah, I guess so...

I *did* toy with making the effect vs. CON or EGO instead of BOD, but in the end decided it wasn't worth the extra hassle, and the final result probably wouldn't vary by much. :)

Of course, you still have the same problem with relatively heavy objects from the outside. It works too slowly to stop a falling man from splatting, for example, or a tank shell, or the tank for the matter.

So buy more dice of the effect. At 43 per d6, a starting 350 point character could get 8d6, with a few paltry points left over for some skills. (No, I don't see actually letting a PC have this Power, let alone a starting PC. This is really just an exercise.)

If you want a more sure-fire thing, then buy 25d6 like Mr. Vimes suggested, at a cost of 1075 points. To REALLY make sure, buy 50d6 so you can get even BOD 25 people/things in one shot. But by this point, you're well up there into la-la land as far as points & balance goes anyway...i.e. into the realm of GM fiat / plot device / cosmic NPCs. :)

This is being looked at the wrong way. The essential part of a Time Stop is not that you slow down every single object individually, it's that you stop the universe.

But what is the universe's SPD? Deriving from FRED's rules regarding physics, that state a character's acceleration changes at most once per segment, we can deduct the universe's SPD is 12.

So all we need to do is hit the universe with a SPD Drain of 120 points, which amounts to 40d6 with Fixed Effect. Since the universe is everywhere, there is no need to roll an attack, unless it aborts to dodge.

Originally posted by Zaratustra

This is being looked at the wrong way. The essential part of a Time Stop is not that you slow down every single object individually, it's that you stop the universe.

But what is the universe's SPD? Deriving from FRED's rules regarding physics, that state a character's acceleration changes at most once per segment, we can deduct the universe's SPD is 12.

So all we need to do is hit the universe with a SPD Drain of 120 points, which amounts to 40d6 with Fixed Effect. Since the universe is everywhere, there is no need to roll an attack, unless it aborts to dodge.

I like your thinking. :) However, the problem with this approach is that things that were already in motion with no spd score, such as falling objects or the planet Earth for that matter, would still be in motion even after the 'time stop'.

Time Stop +60 SPD and +60 DEX (780 pts.) 1 charge (-2) OAF Pocket Watch (-1) Extra Time, Full Phase plus a segment (-3/4?) Real Cost: 164 points

This power gives you 5 full actions to do whatever you can do before anything else can move. Because the essential part of a Time Stop is not that you slow down every single object individually, or that you stop the universe. It's that you may act when nothing else can.

I am willing to bet though, that this is not a legal construction...

Wow

Wow, all these strangely convoluted power constructions,

and no one has commented upon my Continuous EDT-Time version.

So, here's another shot.

Time stop:

Extradimensional travel 20 Any other time +20

Time travel only -1/2 Only to the beginning of user's

phase -1 Continuous +1 1 Charge -2 OAF Fragile

( pocketwatch ) -1 ( 80 active, 15 real )

PLUS Desolid linked -1/2 1 Continuing charge -1?

( 40 active, 16 real )

Total cost 31 real points.

Maybe add 10 Str, linked, Affects real world if you

want to actually change things around while the rest of

the world is stuck in your one little second.

How you would set it up as a 'defensive' action that you

can abort to, I don't know. I'm still fairly new to Hero.

Maybe add 'triggered' to go off when you push the button

on the watch.

Time Stop

30D6 Spd Suppression or Drain Area effect, AP.

To this one could add continous for set phases, charges etc.

On a roll off 1 it would drain 15 points from someone with harden Power Defense or 30 for those without. That would slow or stop normals or some heroic levels. An 2 would be 30 points or 60, thus stopping quite a few different levels.

Add it person immunity and the caster could walk right by. One could add limitation so that the effect only works on those in the area when the Time Stop is used. Thus one could go into the area after the initial power use.

While this is quite expensive it would do the job well.

A large invisble entangle could work as well. The special effect would be time stop but the mechanics would be an entangle. Base it on ECV and then a Characters EGO (+1to+2 ADV.) is used to break out of the attck. This would work as well.

Re: Wow

Originally posted by Arkham

So, here's another shot.

Time stop:

( 40 active, 16 real )

on the watch.

Actually, I was about to comment on your previous post, since I was actually thinking of the same take on this power. However, I felt compelled to followup on everyone else's take on this, and I just now caught up...

I have to agree with you on your write up. I was thinking (dangerous, I know, but that happens sometimes), that I should try and work backwards from the effects. The power is intended to stop time. Well, being a long time fan of theoretical physics, (even if I only understand half of it), I realized that time stops for the user in relation to the rest of the universe. So the character has to step out of the universe.

Hence, Extradimensional Movement.

Now, time really only stops in the universe from the PCs POV. To the rest of us he wouldn't even seem to disappear, or anything. Things would just be different all of a sudden.

But how is it that XDM is defined in this case? Time is one of the 4 'perceived dimensions' of which we IRL are all aware. It is a dimension, and as such,is being travelled through to the same point over and over again indefinately until the PC turns it off.

Hence, "Only To The Beginning Of User's Phase". (although I might make that Specified Phase?)

Now, the problem comes from the character's ability or lack thereof to interact with the rest of the universe. A character with this power, theoretically, could stop time, walk up to the the big Dr. D, and with (e.g.) a piece of notebook paper (and one helluva paper cut), slice the Jugular of said supervillain. over and over and over... :eek:

Needless to say, that would be a hugely abusive power. So to keep that from happening, if the Player really wanted the power, I would require him to have something in place which would keep him from making any real changes to the universe and less paperwork for me.

Hence, Desolid.

Extradimensional Movement: to the "go time" dimension (where this dimension is stopped). If you don't like that dimension, make it to the "ultrafast" dimension, where the time flow ratio from there to here is a billion to one. One of the properties of that dimension is that it reflects everything that is in the real world. You can then buy your STR Transdimensional to affect things in the real world.

Re: Wow

Originally posted by Arkham

So, here's another shot.

Time stop:

( 40 active, 16 real )

First: will your GM let your character alter the past?? If not, you've got problems. There are other problems if altering the past results in the creation of an alternate time line.

Why is the Desolid given a Continuing Charge? Since it's Linked, it will only work while the XDM is, which gives the same effect.

BTW, I'd give the XDM a limited 'time' that it works: Continuing Charge of, say, 5 minutes would do nicely, or perhaps only 1 minute.

Easier would be a naked Advantage: Affects Real World +2 on whatever the character's STR is. Or, for only 5 or 10 of the character's STR.

BTW, I don't think such a character would "repeat" only one second; depending on how the GM defines a character's Phase, it may repeat the entire ____ second long time from the start of Phase X to the start of Phase X+1.

Unless you're planning to give this character SPD 12?

on the watch.

Yes, Trigger is what you'd want for that.

Originally posted by archer

Extradimensional Movement: to the "go time" dimension (where this dimension is stopped). If you don't like that dimension, make it to the "ultrafast" dimension, where the time flow ratio from there to here is a billion to one.

I prefer this to the back-to-the-start-of-the-phase time loop XDM. Time loops are very tricksy things.

One addition I would make: every instant of time in the "real" world creates & is linked to a different "go time" plane. Thus, the character needs to buy an Adder to go to "a related group of dimensions". I'd make this a +5 Adder, as it would *not* allow travel to any location in said group. (see FrED p.111 for the +5 and +10 Adders as given)

Originally posted by archer One of the properties of that dimension is that it reflects everything that is in the real world. You can then buy your STR Transdimensional to affect things in the real world.

I would say the character would need one or more Sense with the Transdimensional Advantage, and say the "go time" dimension shows nothing of the "real" world---or at least, very, very little of it.

--

OK, who's this strange Ian the Cthulhu fans are always talking about?