Anyone running any online games?

Ragnarok

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Anyone running any online games?

Been doing some research into period firearms. I surely wish there was a HERO writeup somewhere of flintlock pistols, muskets and rifles. I've come up with some stats that we can use, but I don't know how accurate they are to the actual weapons.

Flintlock Pistol (Smoothbore): Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Armor Piercing (+1/4), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (30 Active Points); 2 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time: 2 Full Phases; -1 3/4), OAF (-1), STR Minimum 6 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -3/4), Conditional Power Gun will not fire if powder is wet (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Reduced By Range (-1/4), Required Hands One-Handed (-0)
Flintlock Rifle: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6-1, Armor Piercing (+1/4), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (37 Active Points); 2 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time: 1 Turn; -2), OAF (-1), STR Minimum 8 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -3/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Barrel Fouling (-1/2), Conditional Power Gun will not fire if powder is wet (-1/2), Beam (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4)

Special: Rifles were prone to failure due to fouling of the barrel caused by residue settling into the rifling grooves. Typically, the weapon could only fire a few shots before cleaning is required. This is represented by a degrading Activation roll. The weapon will always fire the first shot since cleaning. After the first shot is fired, an Activation 14- roll is made for the next shot. Each subsequent shot reduces the Activation by one. If the Activation ever fails, the barrel is fouled and the rifle cannot be fired until cleaned. Cleaning a rifle takes a minimum of 20 minutes.

Musket (Smoothbore): Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6-1, Reduced by Range, Double Range Categories (+0), Armor Piercing (+1/4), +1 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/4) (37 Active Points); 2 clips of 1 Charge (Increased Reloading Time: 1 Turn; -2), OAF (-1), STR Minimum 8 (STR Min. Cannot Add/Subtract Damage; -3/4), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Conditional Power Gun will not fire if powder is wet. (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), Beam (-1/4)

Special: The typical Reduces by Range limitation is too limiting in terms of the power drop off for muskets. One source I read stated that a musket could penetrate a steel breastplate at 50 yards. For the musket, it loses 2 DC at 16m, 4 DC at 32m and is useless beyond 64m. This is not entirely accurate, but it should suffice for our needs.[/code]If anybody has write-ups for these sorts of weapons, I would be happy to take a look and consider using them instead. As we only have about two weeks until session 1, I figure we should have some sort of stats in place.

Everyman Skills

Acting

Animal Handling (equines)

Climbing

Concealment

Conversation

Deduction

Native Language (4 points’ worth, includes literacy)

Paramedics

Persuasion

One PS at 11- (a character’s job, hobby, or the like)

Shadowing

Stealth

AK: Home country or region 8-

Cash Pool. However, I have to revise my HDT file as I originally built it for a little more "traditional" fantasy setting. It still has Silver coins. For simplicity, I am going to carry over the price lists from 7th Sea and switch the monetary units to Pounds (instead of Guilders). That means I need to edit the amounts available for the Starting Funds perk. So expect a revised HDT file and a price list later on today

Just for the record, I hate Perks and trying to balance them against each other, especially in regards to Fringe Benefits. For instance, a ship's crew is easy. Captain at the top, Lieutenants right below him, Ship's Master, etc. Now how does a ship's Captain rate against say, an unlanded noble? On the ship, barring mutiny, the Captain is the man with absolute authority. In the King's court, is he no more than a peasant? Is he a knight? I seriously doubt he is, or equal to, a baron or count. It's enough to cause a perfectly good GM to go crazy. And I ain't a perfectly good GM.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35140[/ATTACH]

Having some problems trying to attach things, so this is the best I could do for now.

Cael Lynch. 6 feet tall, dark hair, radiant blue eyes, sharp features, charismatic but very intimidating when he needs to be. History below.

Cael Lynch

Cael was born to a poor fishing family on the coast of (pseudo-Irish nation.) The sea was his life. Being out on the sea was Cael’s escape from the harsh reality of his life circumstances. Cael grew up with a strong sense of community and family, as that was the only way for the village to survive. Aside from the sea, Cael loved nothing more than gathering with friends and family in the local tavern, a cool, frothy mug of ale, a warm fire, the pulsing energy of music and dance, and a pretty girl nearby. Trouble, however, was not far around the corner. Though Cael didn’t care much for religion, Cael’s family and most of the village practiced (some old religion). When Cael was about 19 years old, the (local or foreign ruling gov.), under a surge of religious paranoia and fanaticism, decided to take radical steps. They called for a religious war against (the old religion), and burned Cael’s village, slaughtering most of the inhabitants, including Cael’s family. Cael was out swimming in his favorite cove at the time, out of earshot, and returned too late. Vowing revenge, Cael found out from the survivors who led the attack and tracked the man down to his manor. Under the cover of night, Cael slipped past the patrol and climbed the ivy growing over the wall. The man’s window was open, and Cael swung himself over the windowsill, the unmistakable reek of alcohol floating out of the window. The official had held a party celebrating the occasion. The official was passed out in a drunken stupor, propped up against the wall with his prostitute, his pale fat flesh oozing from behind his hastily undone shirt. It was a simple matter to drench him with the nearby lantern oil, and knock the table with the candles over. “His Excellency should have been more careful,” Cael seethed through his bitter smirk of vengeance. As Cael escaped in the ensuing chaos, the flittering flames of the distant manor shone through his postponed tears of grief like a red sunset reflecting off the sea.

Cael knew that there was nothing for him here anymore and that even though the authorities might think the fire an accident, the best thing for him to do was to leave. Eager to start a new life, Cael signed up as a marine with the (Royal Navy equivalent), on a naval expedition force to (the pseudo-Caribbean region). He excelled in this field, rising to Sergeant by the time he was 22. Things were just about as close to stable as he could hope, until his ship was ambushed by (pseudo-French/Spanish pirates.) Cael’s ship fought valiantly, but the pirates had numbers and the element of surprise. Cael’s ship was blown to pieces in a deadly symphony of shrapnel, cracking masts, and splintered planks. Though he was badly wounded by shrapnel, Cael managed to haul himself on a floating piece of debris before he passed out. The following morning, Cael found himself washed up on the shore of a nearby island, and managed to drag himself a few feet before passing out again from exhaustion and blood loss. Over the next few hours, he drifted in and out of consciousness, vaguely aware that he was being dragged away from the shore. Then came a strange, feverish dream with chanting and swirling images. When he awoke he was lying in a hut, with a witch doctor seated across from him. A group from the local tribe found him on the beach and brought him to the witch doctor, who saved his life with (voodoo-equivalent magic). Cael was so seriously injured that the intensity of the magic required to save him left a trace amount in him (his healing ability), which he was able to use with a little guidance from the witch doctor. As he recovered, Cael got to know the tribe, and over the next two years he eventually became accepted by the tribe. He even developed a passionate love interest with the witch doctor’s beautiful daughter Nyah (looks like Sheva Alomar,) and in the third year of his stay they were married. Five months later, Cael was off on a hunt when he heard gunshots. Lungs burning, he raced back to the village, desperately hoping that what he suspected wasn’t true. It was. A small group of missionaries that had landed on the island had gotten increasingly stubborn and insisted that the natives convert. When the tribe refused, the tension escalated into violence. The missionaries and their guards opened fire on the crowd, including Nyah and her father. As Cael cradled Nyah in his arms, Nyah gave him her necklace, and said that even in death, she would be with him. The missionaries were aboard their ship and sailing away before Cael and the warriors could retaliate.

Cael could not stand staying on the island with that painful memory, so he set off for the town of (wherever we start.) While there, he resided in the poorer district, helping people who couldn’t afford medical help with his healing, and using his formidable martial skills to protect them against criminals. For Cael, helping others soothes his own pain and gives him purpose. On the other hand, his deadliness and fearless nature make him a deadly man to cross. As a result, Cael has earned a reputation as a benevolent healer among his friends and a brutal warrior among his enemies. Cael is looking to create a new life for himself in this New World and the prospect of adventure, excitement and ample pay stirs the unquenchable swashbuckler spirit within him.

You weren't kidding about dark. :angst:

:D

Looks good. I am tempted, very tempted indeed, to just use this as a future 7th Sea setting. Not too far in the future either. Hmmmm. Looking, I find no official (or unofficial for that matter) material on the New World of 7th Sea. Well, not that I would ever let a little thing like that stop me.

I'll let you know. For the meantime, the background looks solid. There are a few minor changes towards the end. Mostly, the starting town is going to be a little off the beaten path from the major ports. So I will come up with the artifice on how to get everybody there.

Looking forward to the actual write-up. I hope to see at least 2d6 Unluck after that background. :P (Just kidding, but dang.)

Man' date=' that is a good character write-up. You sort of didn't read or pick up on the guidelines though. I put them in this message. And it looks like a 5th Edition character. Mind if I take a crack at converting it over to 6E? Playing is not at all different. Just the building it part.

Hmm, sorry. I actually did see that message, and tried to construct it as best I could according to those guidelines (50 max skill points, 25 points complications, etc).

Granted, I just got HeroDesigner a couple days ago and I'm completely new at this. This is actually the first character I built by myself.

But by all means, please tinker with it at your leisure.

Don't sweat the little things. We all have made our first character at one point or another. I remember my first character was slightly off as well.

Tell you what. Go back to where I have the colonialFantasy.hdt and colonialFantasy.hdr files. I'm not sure if HERO Designer can convert the stats and such over, so you may have to rebuild. When you create the character use the Non-Standard template rule and load the colonialFantasy.hdt. Then go to the Current Character menu > Campaign Rules > Load Campaign Rules. Select the colonialFantasy.hdr file. That will set you up to begin building the character.

I will hold back on any conversions and give you the chance to make it your way within the guidelines.

WARNING: I am in the process of redesigning the Wealth and Fringe Benefit perks so don't select anything from those two Perks yet. If you have any inkling that you are going to need either one of those, save back a few (say 15 - 20) points until I can get the HDT file loaded.

And for a 5th edition character with the rules that you were given (minus the part in the Special section), you made a darn fine character. Not sure I would have approved the Find Weakness at this stage, but the whole construct was sound. You got good instincts on HERO character building. So don't feel bad.

Very nice background indeed.

I'm working on mine, I have the character preliminarily built (sans some setting details), but the story hasn't finished coming to me yet.

Suffice it to say, that where Cael seems to have bad luck following him, made his own bad luck (he's quite a swordsman, but he's a better thief).

I noticed that a couple Weapon Proficiencies seem to be missing. Namely Staff and Club. Staff is probably less needed, but the belaying pin is a time-honored swashbuckling weapon of opportunity. Unless you just want to group them under Polearms and Axe/Mace/Hammer respectively.