Anyone running any online games?

Ragnarok

Re: Anyone running any online games?

mine was more like whiiirrr*click*that-dead-silence-that-occurs-right-before-you-know-something-is-HORRIBLY-wrong.
Ouch. And double ouch. I'd offer you one of mine, but I think it would be cheaper to buy it local than to ship it. Then again, you have a Mac and I honestly don't know if you can just plug in any old hard drive. Sorry about the data lost. I sincerely hope you have it backed up. I know I lost roughly 90% of my role-playing stuff, including Gemini Ascendant stuff that was towards the end. I tended to scatter that stuff through thumb drives and my laptop so it wasn't a total loss, but still.

I'll look forward to your character when I see it. If I have to push the start date back a week, I will.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Doe:

John Doe was born an orphan. More accurately, he became an orphan when his mother, a prostitute known only as Bess, died 5 minutes after his birth. Predictably, no father came forward, and so the infant was sent to a orphanage, where, in a fit of cleverness, he was named "John Doe" by the staff. He remained in their care until the age of 8, receiving in that time the entirety of his formal education, best summed by the ability to read and write, and a basic grasp of mathematics. At age 8, he was apprenticed off to a tradesman, purportedly to learn Carpentry, but the tradesman in fact was a con artist, who taught the boy to steal, pick pockets - and locks, and generally remain unnoticed amongst the masses. His master was killed during a con gone wrong, and at the age of 14, 'JD', as he had begun calling himself, was on his own. He used his dead master's resources to create a modest living for himself, and the skills he had learned to continue his life of crime, being careful not to repeat his dead master's mistake of being caught unprepared.

John's master had taught him the ways of the knife, and he became proficient with swords as well, though he was unable to secure any formal training. He also learned how to use basic firearms, though he has some dislike for them (the circumstances of his master's death were directly related to a pistol who's existence came as a surprise), but he recognizes their place and utility.

John had always had a romantic notion that his father was some faceless nobleman, or wealthy merchant. This notion, coupled with a sense that he had been abandoned by said father, led to resentment of those who used their wealth to isolate themselves from the common people. He resolved that his mission in life should be to act as their conscience, using their wealth and resources to ease the lives of the lower classes. He was very successful in this, due in part to his meticulous planning, coupled with the irony of his name. The authorities tended to confuse reports of "John Doe's" involvement in a scheme with "an unknown individual's", and thus even notable redistributions of wealth went unsolved and unattributed to him. Even so, eventually he felt that things were too dangerous, and he opted to pool his remaining resources (he had kept just enough from his crimes to keep his modest living afloat), and relocate to the New World, there to continue his personal crusade.

-----------

Character notes:

Notable missing skills -

Streetwise - while he should have some ability in this area, essentially, his knowledge is tied to the urban areas of his homeland. He is recently arrived in the New World, and as such, has not had time to figure out how the Underworld operates here.

He is more of an out and out 'sneak' than a con artist, having never developed the communication skills necessary for social manipulation. (This is also somewhat reflected in his Disguise skill being lower than most of his 'other' criminal skills, he can walk the walk, but can't quite talk the talk (Acting 8-)).

He prefers smaller weapons for their ability to be concealed, often relying on a pair of daggers or shortswords.

One thing he has planned from the start: His re-distributions of wealth will likely not be immediate, and will often benefit people in an area (or town) other than the one the wealth came from. He has plans to be here for a while, and doesn't want to wear out his welcome too quickly.

-----------

Comments? Suggestions? Problems? Pie?

EDIT: For some reason, the boards are adding an extra "." in the middle of the Filename. Dunno why.

You were right. I did somehow exclude other stuff too. I have since placed those things back in (namely Demolitions' date=' Forensic Medicine, and Transport Familiarity). Refer to the message where I originally posted the HERO Designer files for the update.

And Languages - you missed Languages.

You shouldn't have had to mess with the jar files at all, just download the 2 files he posted, then:

Start HD

Create New Character --> Custom/Non-Standard Rules (colonialFantasy.hdt)

Current Character --> Campaign Rules --> Load Campaign Rules (colonialFantasy.hdr)

Build Character

My clue that you've done something different is that the Fringe Benefit: Weapon Permit does not exist in the setting/ruleset. Most likely applying the template to the character after purchasing some abilities, which won't remove anything you purchased, even if the template makes it unavailable.

Also, it looks like you are using a 5E Text output template, which leaves out some of the newly decoupled characteristics (all the CVs, basically). If you don't have a 6E one, I'll modify and post one here tomorrow (3/1/2010) afternoon. Or you could simply upload and link the .hdc file instead.

As far as the Everyman Skills go, they should come out to 0 pts. You probably just missed a checkbox somewhere. (PS and AK: Homeland)

Couple other quick things I noticed:

+1 DCV level for 2 pts. Even in 5E, this would be 5 pts. Not sure how you got that. In 6E, you would just buy +1 DCV.

You have Swordsmanship as a MA, but don't have any Weapon Proficiency with a Sword.

Here's the latest version. The only real problem now is the lack of Language in the Everyman skill list.

Also, hypothetically speaking if I were to switch out for the 1d6 healing, that would count as a spell, yes? With the VPP and PRE minimum, the whole deal? How would that construction look?

Wow. Folks been busy while I was off doing work stuff and then blowing off some steam by blowing up space ships.

Languages. Right. I think I removed that section because the HDT file was going to go over to a non-earth fantasy game as was re-purposed to this game after that. I'll see if there is an easy way to add Languages back in. If not, I'll give you an alternate solution.

Spells. If all your character knows is a couple of rituals (there is a distinction), then there is no need for the VPP. Almost anybody can learn a ritual (and it sounds like that's the ticket from your character's background). Most "true" Magi have the ability to cast spontaneously (hence the VPP) and the overall power of their spells is improved by having a high PRE. I'll make an example Magus for y'all to take a look at.

For now, I go to sleep. I'll take a look when my eyes and brain are more fresh.

Updated Character. Switched out the Luck for the Healing, because I think the healing ritual contributes more to the unique voodoo flavor, which is what I was going for. Let me know what you think of that particular spell build.

Also added a Range Mod. PSL for Rifles and Muskets only, since any respectable Marine Sergeant should be able to be a sharpshooter for deck battles. And I added some flavor text on skill names, etc...

Do you happen to have a cost chart for weapons? No rush, just wondering. :)

So, I'm a bit confused on the setting. I am currently playing a Colonial Hero game pm Hero Central and love it. I also own a couple 7th Sea books (players and GM guide), but I've never played the game. The two don't exactly mix for me as the Colonial game is set in the New World and 7th Sea as I recall it in 'Europe'. I may be confusing that with a MUX I helped write for back in the day called Outremer though...

I'm not sure why I'm telling you this, though. My point is that I don't necessarily grok the setting completely at the moment, nor the two characters yet.

Any way we can get a post containing the PCs we have thus far?

7th Sea is set in a fictional Europe; the idea, as I get it, is to take the flavor 7th Sea provides (1600s Europe) and move it over to the New World - which, not so coincidentally is the classic Golden Age Of Piracy period in the Caribbean (1650-1720 or so as the historians put it, no one during the period actually thought in those terms). Though in the later part of the 17th Century the Pirates liked to raid the East India Company which spanned all the way from the Atlantic to the Indian Oceans using parts of Madagascar as bases.

Though, if Nol is focusing on the Colonial Americas I expect a lot of Spanish raids in South America, and either bugging the French or British (or both) in the North America. Should be fun. Or we could be privateers for one of those nations. I'm not entirely sure what he has planned...

And... I'm nearly done with my character. Just gotta come up with a bit of a catch to latch onto the personality.

From what I understand, this setting comprises of several colonial nation-states based upon real-world historical nation-states (England/GB, Spain, France, etc...), who have established colonies in the New World, (area based upon Atlantic Seaboard/Caribbean), in which we will be playing. As far as I'm aware, technology and culture is approximately the same as the real-world inspirations, but there is magic.

So, think of Pirates of the Caribbean with the names switched around and maybe a minor location change.

My character has already been posted, so just look for my latest HD file. Basically, he's a former marine who hails from "Ireland," and knows a bit of voodoo though his adventures in the "Caribbean."

DaltWisney's character, from what I understand, is a thief/rapscallion from "England."

Sorry that I have been out of touch. Monday and Tuesdays are my graveyard shifts and I have been sound asleep for about seven hours.

ghost-angel and Ragnarok are mostly correct. And to be honest, the setting is still coalescing in my mind. Like everything I do, I took a concept and started playing around with it. The concept was born about message 3 or 4 of this thread.

Setting: Take 7th Sea, rip out the nation/royal bloodline oriented magic system, replace that magic system with something a little more universal and then add a New World aspect and flavor to it. That is the very basic premise. The good news? Almost 80% of 7th Sea's setting info can be used. For example, how different would the New World be with the Syrne ruins there? So I have a pretty good grasp of how I want to run the setting. Secret Societies, swashbuckling adventure, etc. What's not to be excited about? :)

I have tomorrow and the next day off. My goals are to have the magic system spelled out and the weapons list created. Then I am going to hack together a map of the New World (eastern sea board) and the Ecuadorean Islands (Caribbean analogy). My last goal is to build your characters as MapTool tokens for use.

My initial idea is to start in the Avalonian (UK) colonies along the north-eastern seaboard. I imagine there is going to be a mix of seaborne and land based adventurers.

And those are my free form thoughts. More later, after I wake up and get my brain engaging.

Update

Just finished the first section of my magic system document. This part deals with folk lore and how some common beliefs interact with the supernatural. All I have to do now is the section on Invocations (using beings from the Netherealm to cast spells on your behalf) and the actual Magus style magic part. I am more than a little satisfied on how the first section turned out. I am guessing that I will be finished today sometime (tomorrow at the latest) with the magic document. Things are progressing nicely.

Also' date=' hypothetically speaking if I were to switch out for the 1d6 healing, that would count as a spell, yes? With the VPP and PRE minimum, the whole deal? How would that construction look?[/quote']Actually, based on what you said, I imagine that it would likely be an Invocation. In this setting, an Invocation is a ritual wherein a character invokes a being from the Netherealm to cast a spell for him. I'll explain that more in a document I am presently writing. For now, the biggest differences between spells and invocations are;

1. Invocations have a set effect. They cannot be improved with PRE, Skill Levels or even Aid. The Invocation does exactly what the power write-up says it does.
  2. Invocations cost more END than spells do for the same effect. For example, if an Invocation heals 3d6 and a spell heals 3d6, then the Invocation will cost more END. Why? Because part of the ritual to invoke the Netherealm being involves a sacrifice of personal energy, part of which empowers the actual magical effect. The rest is kept by the entity.
  3. Invocations take time to set up. They are never instant and almost never useful in direct combat situations.

So' date=' I'm a bit confused on the setting. I am currently playing a Colonial Hero game pm Hero Central and love it. I also own a couple 7th Sea books (players and GM guide), but I've never played the game. The two don't exactly mix for me as the Colonial game is set in the New World and 7th Sea as I recall it in 'Europe'. [/quote']Let me see if I can help you. 7th Sea is based roughly on Europe, the Middle East and China. What I want to do is introduce a New World/Colonial America analogy to the 7th Sea setting. In the process, I want to rip out the White Wolf-esque segregated by nationality magic system. In its place, I am writing a new magic system (maybe even systems depending on how you look at it). The secret societies, Syrne ruins, archaeologists, etc I want to keep and "export" to the New World. Add to that, international intrigue, piracy and mercantile competition. Now throw in just a dash of Ravenloft inspired horror (not too much mind you - a little supernatural horror goes a long way) and there you have what I am essentially aiming for. Does this help?

Any way we can get a post containing the PCs we have thus far?
Right now we have a Robin Hood meets Oliver Twist rogue and a skilled swordsman with a tragic hero meme. ghost-angel indicates that he is running a "womanizing, gambling, gypsy scoundrel that's handy with a sword" though I haven't seen his actual character write-up yet. Beings that he played in my Gemini Ascendant game, I have a pretty high level of trust that it will be a good write-up. So do you have any ideas?

Looked over both characters. I must say that both have been built solidly in regards to the rules. I like both background and look forward to running this game. What I enjoy about both concepts is the sense of pending heroism I get from both of them.

Color me officially excited about this game. I'm not sure what that color is, exactly, but I am there. :)

Ok' date=' sounds about right. What do you think of the build I have in my latest hdc file? It sounds like I built it pretty close to what you decided, but it might take even more time. Around a minute maybe?[/quote']Moreso. The actual ritual would be relatively short. It's the prep time that kills you. Increase the extra time to 20 minutes and we'll call it even. I wonder why there is such a stringent time chart sometimes. it boils down to Segment, Phase, Minute and Out of Combat time. :)

Increase the END Cost to x3.

The character build itself is excellent. I love some of the skill names you picked. Sharpshooter in the Rigging is particularly excellent.

Alright, looks like my character is basically done. In the interest of not bombarding the thread with constant updates, I will delay posting the final version of him until I get details needed for the background and the weapon builds.

Also, I wanted to confirm something with you. The two weapon fighting I intend for ranged only, and the Rulebook says that I should ask GM permission. So, is it cool for Cael to roll with a brace of pistols?

I really don't own the 7th Sea, so I do not know much about the setting. The general premise, that I am getting, is that this is a variation of Pirates of the Caribbean movies. While I may not own any of the referred campaign material, I do have to say that I like the concept...

Right now I am toying with the idea of playing a male wicken, aka a warlock. I am not sure if you actually have witches in this campaign, but since you were stating that you were kinda trying to keep it similar to our history, I thought that there may be a chance. I am also on the assumption that the inquisition also has a part in the campaign. Let me know how off base I am or if I am good to continue along these lines...

Alright, looks like my character is basically done. In the interest of not bombarding the thread with constant updates, I will delay posting the final version of him until I get details needed for the background and the weapon builds.

Also, I wanted to confirm something with you. The two weapon fighting I intend for ranged only, and the Rulebook says that I should ask GM permission. So, is it cool for Cael to roll with a brace of pistols?

Oh my God! Two pistols at once. That's two shot whole shots! Armies could collapse under so much pressure. I mean, two single shot pistols. Sure, why not. :D