I love me some xenomorphs!

LordQulex

Re: I love me some xenomorphs!

Xenomorphs have been shown in several sources to hibernate. If the source of prey gets low - this is what likely occurs. There may be the occasional roaming scout looking for new sources of food.

However - the very first Alien movie shows the eggs being transported in a ship by a race of aliens that use biotechnology. It isn't any stretch at all to believe that xenomorphs are a weapon and not a race.

The new Director's cut of Alien restores the scene where the xenomorph has cocooned Brett and Dallas (who's still alive) and is turning Brett into an egg to impregnate Dallas with. There has also been speculation that the xenomorph is dying when Ripley discovers it in the lifeboat. So... they may have a limited lifespan and can make others without needing a queen.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily. Assuming the lifespan of the individual creatures is as brief as some have suggested based on the film precedents, once the available supply of host organisms is depleted, most of the remaining xenomorphs will quickly die off. Invaders would just have to wait offworld for a few months at most, then mop up the stragglers that try to leave the city looking for more hosts.

Come to think of it, that need for hosts, combined with their incredibly rapid reproduction rate, makes it unlikely that the species could have evolved naturally.

Of course this is assuming their creators didn't just engineer them with some sort of biological failsafe or vulnerability. The response of the xenomorph in the first Alien film to exposure to exotic gas mixtures suggests they may have some.

It's been generally assumed the xenomorphs are a bio-weapon since the release of Alien. I believe the popular theory has the space jockey's ship transporting the eggs when something went wrong.

I think I heard along the lines of what Susano is saying.

One bad thing about your scenario Lord Laiden is that something ALWAYS goes wrong. Enough of them would find a way to escape and continue on. The fact their society is a lot like bees/ants reminds me how easy it is for insects to spread into areas we dont want them to no matter how much we try to keep it from happening.

About the only thing to keep them from spreading is to nuke that infested city from orbit to make sure. (something the space jockey probably learned the hard way, and also points out how useless they would be as a weapon if the only way to stop was a nuke, you could just nuke and save the trouble.)

One bad thing about your scenario Lord Liaden is that something ALWAYS goes wrong. Enough of them would find a way to escape and continue on. The fact their society is a lot like bees/ants reminds me how easy it is for insects to spread into areas we dont want them to no matter how much we try to keep it from happening.

And our military tactics always work out the way we plan them? ;)

One thing all the Alien movies have demonstrated, from that crashed ship in the first film to the latest Alien vs. Predator, is that no matter what race or what level of technology tries to contain them, the little buggers always find a way to slip loose and wreak havoc.

In fact, one recurring premise of sci-fi horror films is that our creations always get out of our control, however clever we think we are. :sneaky:

And our military tactics always work out the way we plan them? ;)

One thing all the Alien movies have demonstrated, from that crashed ship in the first film to the latest Alien vs. Predator, is that no matter what race or what level of technology tries to contain them, the little buggers always find a way to slip loose and wreak havoc.

In fact, one recurring premise of sci-fi horror films is that our creations always get out of our control, however clever we think we are. :sneaky:

Exactly.

Even the orbital nuke tactic probably wouldnt work, just a greater chance of success to eliminate the damn bugs. They are something that nobody with rational thinking capability would ever use.

So, we know the politicians will go for it.

Exactly.

Even the orbital nuke tactic probably wouldnt work, just a greater chance of success to eliminate the damn bugs. They are something that nobody with rational thinking capability would ever use.

So, we know the politicians will go for it.

Well, they have to unleash the xenomorphs to clean up the mess they made when they deployed the Z(ombie)-virus against enemy targets.

...and you really don't want to know what Plan C is...

It's possible their use is to eradicate all life on a planet... drop off some eggs and then come back later... a lot later to find everything dead.

Well, at least the close-to-human sized life, anyway. The face-huggers always seem to be the same size and configuration, and there's a realistic upper and lower limit to how much face they can hug.

Well said.

Basicallly if the xenomorphs are easy to kill, not much of a threat and unlikely to kill everybody - then they aren't xenomorphs and you're likely in a mary sue fanfiction parody.

The xenomorphs come hand-in-hand with the "survival horror" trope. If you take them out of that context, they aren't xenomorphs anymore.

Oo' date=' xenomorphs vs. zombies! Especially if zombies can infect xenomorphs...[/quote']

Nah, too difficult. I can't suspend disbelief enough to imagine any kind of infection would survive the acid from a bite wound. Maybe if zombification was caused by radiation? Biting is traditional, but it could be something else.

Guest steamteck

Also I remember a doglike alien from a movie that came after Aliens. But then again maybe I'm just remembering a bad dream. A really' date=' really bad dream.[/quote']

Good thing such a horrible movie was never filmed. just file it with nightmares about a Highlander 2.:idjit:

Nah' date=' too difficult. I can't suspend disbelief enough to imagine any kind of infection would survive the acid from a bite wound. Maybe if zombification was caused by radiation? Biting is traditional, but it could be something else.[/quote']

Well, more likely, the zombies would become hosts to new aliens, which would hatch as zombimorphs...who could only be killed by a headshot, I'm guessing...

the problem for the non-zombie xenomorphs is that they'd probably be on the menu...

I happen to like all the Alien movies. Usually for different reasons as they aren't the same genre as each other - survival horror' date=' action/war, survival horror, action/war. Both AVPs are action/war although the second has some survival horror in it.[/quote']

It's interesting to me that they've done 2 AVP movies, but they have yet to do what the video games have done...put it in the same future as Aliens, and bring the Colonial Marines into the equation. My assumption would be they'd be more effective against the Preds than 20th/21st century military forces(since they have motion detectors, other advanced sensors, and weapons powerful enough to put down a large target).

It's interesting to me that they've done 2 AVP movies' date=' but they have yet to do what the video games have done...put it in the same future as Aliens, and bring the Colonial Marines into the equation. My assumption would be they'd be more effective against the Preds than 20th/21st century military forces(since they have motion detectors, other advanced sensors, and weapons powerful enough to put down a large target).[/quote']

By that date it may have become a moot point. Given that various governments and groups on Earth already know the Predator species exists, and how dangerous they are, by the time humanity becomes an interstellar civilization I would expect war between them and us. Preds are very dangerous one on one, but I haven't yet seen indications they know how to wage war on the scale we do.

By that date it may have become a moot point. Given that various governments and groups on Earth already know the Predator species exists' date=' and how dangerous they are, by the time humanity becomes an interstellar civilization I would expect war between them and us. Preds are very dangerous one on one, but I haven't yet seen indications they know how to wage war on the scale we do.[/quote']

I have my doubts that they can be "made war" with.

They're tribal wanderers. It's doubtful they would either have established colonies, or band together to defend the same.

According to the RPG, xenomorphs have IR signalling, and resin for webbing (go up 8 yards a phase vertically), plus 1 charge/day stingers with paralytic venom.

And an aside, there was some comic book with planet of competing queens, one blue one red? of Xenomorphs fighting each other...

And an aside' date=' there was some comic book with planet of competing queens, one blue one red? of Xenomorphs fighting each other...[/quote']

I believe the colouring was put in for the reader to differentiate the nests. I remember the comic vaguelly - I'll have to read it again when I get home.