I love me some xenomorphs!

LordQulex

Re: I love me some xenomorphs!

I suppose they could have gotten the tech by contact with other space-faring peoples. Though' date=' that does present its own scenarios. Primarily: You mean there could be badder@$$es out there than the Predators?[/quote']

There's always a bigger fish.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On that front, let's remember that if the "pilot" race from the first Alien film created the xenomorph species, then they actually wanted to design and build, and presumably were willing to use, a weapon that vicious. Assuming their creations didn't wipe them out, they could still be waiting to be encountered somewhere in space. What else might they have thought up in the meantime? :fear:

Well' date=' it shows they have near-human intelligence. Personally, I'd say they might have intelligence similar to some of our primate cousins. (which would be a bit scary to think about in its own right)[/quote']

No, far superior - I've never known a baby able to navigate their way around a house and disable a fuse box - have you?

I've never known a baby able to navigate their way around a house and disable a fuse box - have you?

Define baby? Are you saying facehuggers, or chestbursters disabled the generator? Or, fully grown warriors? Yes, they mature fast. So what?

And *I* have known of a 4-5 year old who got their hands on a screw-driver, and started disassembling the door, and literally everything they could reach, when left alone in a house. No flys on that kid.

Define baby? Are you saying facehuggers, or chestbursters disabled the generator? Or, fully grown warriors? Yes, they mature fast. So what?

And *I* have known of a 4-5 year old who got their hands on a screw-driver, and started disassembling the door, and literally everything they could reach, when left alone in a house. No flys on that kid.

Why did this child do this? Was there a reason and purpose?

I say baby because babies and children are usually thought of as the most intelligent age range of human beings - everyone assumes that humans learn best when young. Mostly because everyone assumes learning language is hard and children pick up language skills.

An adult simile would be to take a Kalahari bushman (one that has no idea about buildings or electricity), put him in a skyscraper and expect him to turn off the electricity.

I say baby because babies and children are usually thought of as the most intelligent age range of human beings - everyone assumes that humans learn best when young.

Who is this mythical 'everyone'? Define intelligence. Several different measures, which is why it's hard to factor G.

Mostly because everyone assumes learning language is hard and children pick up language skills..

Anyone who does is a moron, and hasn't studied human development. Babies learn to communicate, because food is involved. Language window opens more fully a little later, and that's because of the way the brain develops. Depending on the person - some people are lifelong language acquisition people, uhhh? not linguists... what's the term?

An adult simile would be to take a Kalahari bushman (one that has no idea about buildings or electricity), put him in a skyscraper and expect him to turn off the electricity.

No, I think I get a tribe of bushmen, and several weeks, plus I also need to give them incentive to do this thing. I'm sure if I give them several fail-proof bashing things (acid-projectors??) and a reason (food?) they could manage it.

No' date=' I think I get a tribe of bushmen, and several weeks, plus I also need to give them incentive to do this thing. I'm sure if I give them several fail-proof bashing things (acid-projectors??) and a reason (food?) they could manage it.[/quote']

Perhaps a better analogy would be to put them on the mothership of the aliens in the Independance Day movie and expect them to do the same.

With unbreakable, infinite charge molecular acid projectors (that will eat thru anything on the ship), super-strength suits, the ability to climb quickly and web anything, and a single-point of failure electrical generator (plus motivation to want to get rid of it), I'll take the bushmen :D

Actually, consider it a party of superhero PCs, with little or no direction, on an alien ship. Of course they'll make swiss-cheese of the thing, and break stuff so it's less operable.

Why did this child do this? Was there a reason and purpose?

Kids don't need a reason to do anything. Trust me on this. Number Two Boy literally taught himself to crawl for the sole purpose of investigating the power outlet in his room. He had to have it. He just had to.

Plus a decent sized chunk of Europe; but the parallel is slightly misleading. The Mongols were perhaps the most skilled light cavalry in history, practically living on horseback. They could move more rapidly than any comparable military unit of their era, and were experts at living off the land, minimizing the need for supply lines or trains. They were also masters at wielding the short composite bow from horseback, a weapon superior to bows used by their opponents. Otherwise, however, their technology was no better than that of their opponents, and in many cases it was probably initially acquired through contact with more "civilized" peoples like the Chinese. The Mongols also had no experience with siege warfare, or equipment capable of taking fortified cities; but Genghis Khan was shrewd enough to press-gang military engineers from conquered peoples with the knowledge to build and use siege engines. They did the same thing in administering conquered territories, conscripting scribes and bureaucrats. Much of their success can also be attributed to ruthless large-scale terror tactics, which often frightened people into surrendering at the first appearance of Mongol troops.

In the centuries before Genghis Khan and his vision of universal Mongol dominion, they and their related horse nomads confined themselves to raiding and pillaging. It took only a couple of generations after the Khan's passing for their empire to disintegrate.

The earlier Arab example is also a bit misleading. At the time of Mohammed the Arabs dwelling on the fringes of the great Arabian desert had large cities with sophisticated, stratified societies.

There's little in the source material about the Predator species to determine what if any of these factors apply to them.

You got a point with the Arabs. Dont know about the Mongols though. We know the Predators ate beef(?) from the 2nd movie. What if they dont mind eating human? They are expert hunters, so not needing much supply lines isnt too out of the question.

I think with the Mongol comparison, the big key is IF they could find a Genghis Khan.

On that front' date=' let's remember that if the "pilot" race from the first [i']Alien[/i] film created the xenomorph species, then they actually wanted to design and build, and presumably were willing to use, a weapon that vicious. Assuming their creations didn't wipe them out, they could still be waiting to be encountered somewhere in space. What else might they have thought up in the meantime? :fear:

Well, I was thinking that if the Aliens and Predators were in the same continuity, that the Pilot species may have been the ones that the Predators got their tech from. (or maybe whomever they were fighting to cause them to create those damned Xenomorphs, either way)

Kids don't need a reason to do anything. Trust me on this. Number Two Boy literally taught himself to crawl for the sole purpose of investigating the power outlet in his room. He had to have it. He just had to.

Yeah, I was slow to learn how to walk. But, it was more because I learned how to turn my little walker into a racecar and tear through the whole house. Then my mother figured out the problem and took my walker away.:(

ANyhow, since I cant remember it off hand, I have to ask HOW they took out the fuse box. Because if they just figured out that was where the power was situated there, and just kept ripping it apart till the power went down. Well, that is good observation to notice the connection that the power was coming from there.

Navigation is different. If we are going by the 2nd movie, well that mest had been established for awhile, I would expect them to have a good idea where things were.

Well, they have to unleash the xenomorphs to clean up the mess they made when they deployed the Z(ombie)-virus against enemy targets.

...and you really don't want to know what Plan C is...

I don't know why, she swallowed the fly, I guess she'll die. :eg:

No' date=' far superior - I've never known a baby able to navigate their way around a house and disable a fuse box - have you?[/quote']

There really wasn't any evidence they intentionally cut the power, it could have easily occured accidentally while tearing their way through the barricades. Plus in the later directors cut they had robot guns killing hundreds of aliens, all that acid "blood" could have easily burned through something important. Hudsen's comment about them cutting the power was fear talking not an informed comment.

I would agree they are intelligent, but I wouldn't call them highly intelligent. Personally except for the Queens I would estimate the typical warrior bug is in the range of a clever chimp or dolphin. They are very sneaky making them good hunters. Even the Queens don't strike me as equal to human intelligence though, perhaps low human intelligence but I think even that is pushing it. They seem to be fairly easily tricked or out thought.

You could be right about the power and Hudson - it's a common failing with scifi in particular that we viewers think what is spoken is the way the universe actually works.

They do have larger heads than humans though so just based on that there is good reason to believe in higher intelligence. They don't have any knowledge of course, because they usually get one generation before being wiped out.

You could be right about the power and Hudson - it's a common failing with scifi in particular that we viewers think what is spoken is the way the universe actually works.

They do have larger heads than humans though so just based on that there is good reason to believe in higher intelligence. They don't have any knowledge of course, because they usually get one generation before being wiped out.

That larger head doesn't equal a larger brain. It might be what helps them see without eyes.