Best way to represent a Psionic Symbiote. Help!

Demonsong

I think I have hurt my brain with this one. :straight:

The concept:

An above average Street Samurai (think Shadow Run or Cyber Punk) breaks in to the big leagues when he bonds with a Psionic Symbiote. Boom... instant super hero. He runs around with a submachine gun and a few grenades fighting with his speed of 4. While this is going on the Symbiote also fights at the same time with its average Psionic Multi-Power and Telekinetic Force Field protecting them both.

The Symbiote is light blue colored creature with a long tail that wraps around the neck and is permanently attached to the spine at the base of the neck at the back.

So far I have come up with several ways to represent the Symbiote fighting. But which one is most appropriate is beyond me. Any input it welcome.

1) Put a +1/2 Trigger (0 Phase to activate, 0 Phase to reset, Goes off of the beginning each of his Phases) on the Psionic Multi-Power. Not sure if you could apply (Character does not control activation of personal Trigger) to represent the Symbiote controlling the power or not; to represent it protecting its host?

2) Buy an extra Speed of +4 (for a total speed of 8) with the disadvantage -1 Only to make a single half-phase psionic attack. (This is my lest favorite. It just doesn't feel right)

3) A Follower of some kind. But I am not sure how appropriate his would be. I don't want it to look like a cheap way to lower the cost of powers. And to be honest I am not sure exactly how to go about it. The problem is that from a concept point of view I think this one is the closest.

4) Just use the Multi-Attack Maneuver and buy off the penalties. So he can shoot his SMG and then Mind Blast some one.

Thanks all,

Re: Best way to represent a Psionic Symbiote. Help!

I think if you were going the "two separate characters" route, then a Follower makes more sense than Duplication - the symbiote doesn't seem at all similar to the character. If the symbiote is supposed to be a separate character that can be attacked itself, then a Follower seem like a reasonable fit.

If it isn't then, I'd go with either 1 or 2. While it's a bit of a kludge, #2 seems the simplest mechanically.

I actually agree with JMOZ on this one. Duplication (different characteristics) seems like it is the way to go. I would analogize it to the version they have of the hydra (multiple heads as independent duplicates), attached to the same body, just in this case the duplicates are radically different.

I think that Killer Shrike had a luck based character that was done as a linked duplicate that can serve as a mechanical proxy for the idea (though the power set and personality are way off.

I had not considered Duplication. Intriguing.

The Duplication Option...

Duplication (creates 400-point form)

-Cannot Recombine (-0) **The Nine Headed Hydra example in the side bar of 6E1 204

-Altered Duplicates (100%; +1)

-Feedback (All Duplicates Take Damage When Struck; -1)

-Always On (-1/2)

-160 Active Points

-64 Real Cost

If you used a Follower, could you still use the Feedback Limitation to represent the fact that they are linked?

Thanks for your time!

I'm not sure that "Always On" makes sense as a limitation, given that they already can't recombine. With a Follower, I'm not sure about Feedback - it seem like it might be more of a Physical Complication that you and the follower have.

Feedback is a standard limitation for Duplication (6E1 204)

I think Ice's response about feedback was putting Feedback on a follower. I've never seen that before and, to be honest, had never considered it.

One way to get that effect would be to give mind link with feedback to the follower and primary character.

I think Ice's response about feedback was putting Feedback on a follower. I've never seen that before and, to be honest, had never considered it.

One way to get that effect would be to give mind link with feedback to the follower and primary character.

Getting feedback from a follower can be quite useful on occasions ;)