Do I need the 6th Martial Arts book?

palaskar

Re: Do I need the 6th Martial Arts book?

Is my Kajukenbo in there? We've been woefully under represented in the past.

You've got a whole paragraph in the Karate Section!. Some arts I've studdied aren't even a footnote in UMA ;)

Kajukenbo's probably not the easiest art for Steve to research anyhow. Last I checked, there's only a few books on it out there.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bah' date=' don't try and find a book. COME PARTICIPATE! :D[/quote']

Hey, I'll gladly nominate myself to travel around the world studying martial arts for publication in the 7E martial arts book.. but I'm thinking your average game designer has a significantly smaller travel budget than what I would need ;)

Of course I do have the benefit of having a pretty wide base to draw on already, but that would probably make for a really nitpicky manuscript...

We need to figure out how to get our own show then like Human Weapon or Fight Quest, Fight Science......hells......Even Deadliest Warrior. Then, get paid to get beat up :D....No one will ever make fun of Batroc the Leaper again if they watch the Fight Quest Savate episode....

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/fight-quest-lightning-strikes.html

~Rex

I'd love to, but but I doubt any of my connections could seal that kind of deal.

Ironically, there have been multiple times where I have watched those shows with friends and been all like "Met him... Trained with him... Worked with one of his students... This guys an idiot and I wish they had found someone else to represent that style... He hasn't aged at all well in the last few years..."

Heh....yeah we've done the same thing. Still LOVE those shows though. Especially Fight Science. Always a good time to sit back and watch Guys like Bas Ruden and Randy Coture make science people scratch their heads and go WTH? Makes me feel a touch less Old and beat up.

The best thing about all those shows though, is that even if they picked a person here and there that I wouldn't consider the best rep (Not a big Fedor fan for example), the exposure they generate is a good thing for the arts.

~Rex

We talking Movie Producer Jack Murray or Black Belt magazine Jack Murray from way back in the day? Most folks wouldn't be foolish enough to try and work Kajukenbo into a con. The backlash would be......unpleasant.

~Rex

70% of "All that Ong Bak Stuff" is just an Acrobatics Roll, heh.

~Rex

Well, there is a lot of parkour mixed in there with the old school MT, from what I've seen. But some of that stuff is definitely older styles and "street MT". Elbow flurries and jumping knees exist, but Tony Jaa is using them like they were on sale.

Well' date=' there is a lot of parkour mixed in there with the old school MT, from what I've seen. But some of that stuff is definitely older styles and "street MT". Elbow flurries and jumping knees exist, but Tony Jaa is using them like they were on sale.[/quote']

I think a lot of that is the use of Combat Running mixed with judicious use of levels (usually in OCV and Damage).

I think a lot of that the use of Combat Running mixed with judicious use of levels (usually in OCV and Damage).

That's pretty much how I would do it. I do like what Tony Jaa has brought to the screen though.

~Rex

We talking Movie Producer Jack Murray or Black Belt magazine Jack Murray from way back in the day? Most folks wouldn't be foolish enough to try and work Kajukenbo into a con. The backlash would be......unpleasant.

~Rex

the jack murray character from NINJA HEro 5th ed.

the jack murray character from NINJA HEro 5th ed.

Yeah, he was teaching Kajukenbo as a "secret ninja" art, figuring most of his students would never know the difference. And yes, getting called on it was a possible plot seed for poor old Jack.

Hmmm. Didn't even think of double checking the Game Book the way the statement was presented.....

Still....HSMA is sounding like a good purchase so far. Provided of course it ever shows up in the stores here in D20 Damnation Alley.

~Rex

Hmmm. Didn't even think of double checking the Game Book the way the statement was presented.....

Still....HSMA is sounding like a good purchase so far. Provided of course it ever shows up in the stores here in D20 Damnation Alley.

~Rex

Yeah, with what I'm reading, I've actually changed my mind, and will pick it up. Also, assuming any stores get it in. Of the three stores in my area, one's always been D20 Land, a second that had very good stock became D20 Land after the D&D 4e release, the third is fairly good on stocking non-D20 stuff, but it took a request from someone else to get them to stock The Ultimate Base (when I picked my copy up, the owner claimed he didn't know it was out). I haven't seen the new Champions in stock, yet, but since it's a bit of a drive for me, I only go in about once a month. Keeping my fingers crossed.

wha?

When your stuck with a bunch of D20 players, and can't get a "real" or "good" rpg game. Here in Sunny (maybe not so sunny with all these rain storms going on), Arizona I like to call it D20 hell. Alternately it's just when playing [Hero] is just a pipe dream, when your own player group (or most that you know) don't want to give [Hero] a shot at the table.

When your stuck with a bunch of D20 players' date=' and can't get a "real" or "good" rpg game. Here in Sunny (maybe not so sunny with all these rain storms going on), Arizona I like to call it D20 hell. Alternately it's just when playing [Hero'] is just a pipe dream, when your own player group (or most that you know) don't want to give [Hero] a shot at the table.
You could try to convert their characters to HERO system and show them options unavailable to D&D

(convert the characters and the players may follow)

When your stuck with a bunch of D20 players' date=' and can't get a "real" or "good" rpg game. Here in Sunny (maybe not so sunny with all these rain storms going on), Arizona I like to call it D20 hell. Alternately it's just when playing [Hero'] is just a pipe dream, when your own player group (or most that you know) don't want to give [Hero] a shot at the table.
if you arethe GM shouldn't you have final say on what system is used?

You could try to convert their characters to HERO system and show them options unavailable to D&D

(convert the characters and the players may follow)

4th edition D&D honestly helped a lot, make quite a few people question D&D, and now I have a game waiting, till everyone has a job, so they can drive here.... so I did my 6 years in D20 hell. :D