Self Defense Course

yamamura

I was thinking of designing a character who has some basic training in self defense and was wondering the types of maneuvers that would be appropriate. So far I have thought of:

Escape

Eye Gouge (Martial Arts)

Maybe a NND?

1 pt use style with Improvised Weapons (keys)

Any other ideas?

Re: Self Defense Course

I've done a basics martial arts training as enough levels to provide +1 DC.

A lot of the self-defense classes focus on "STOMP his instep" type knowledge and situational awareness (most notably not freezing up when confronted) as a foundation as opposed to some kind of actual martial art.

The manuevers they are likely to teach are eye-gouges, a simple throw and an escape. You could possibly throw in a more conventional strike (possibly Defensive).

That is the basic level you would learn at a community center in a 6-week Self Defense course.

In the real world a lot of self defense instructors (especially women) have backgrounds in "defensive" arts like Aikido and Jujutsu so throws and joint locks are common maneuvers. If the character has been trained in Model Mugging/rape prevention techniques then she will have good ground fighting and close strikes. I usually give such characters a combination of moves from the Wrestling and Jailhouse Rock styles.

Well, hear are some of what I would give as "Self-Defence Combat Arts" (remember, "Combat Art" does not have a Style Disavantage, while "Martial Art" does).

Escape.

Basic Strike.

Eye Gorge.

"Basic" Throw.

Grion Smash (NND attack, defence is haveing no 'sencitive areas').

"Basic" Block.

"Motion" Block (block with FMove...an 'advance' manuver with some GM refuse to alow people to buy).

"Get Away From Gunfire" (Dodge, trained as basic stagities on how to avoid betting shot when someone is aiming at you).

It does?

Well, that does depend on what your flavoring is. I mean, you CAN buy Dirty Infighting with a Style Disavantage, and Kung Fu without one, if you wish and the game master alowes.

I myself use the definition of Martial Arts as "systimised and trainable system of combat recogniseable by others as such", while Combat Art is "a style of combat". This, for me, Martial Arts equals Style Disavantage and Combat Art not equals Style Disavantage. But your free to find your own definition.

I mean no disrespect to orginised and unorginised combat, nor the people who engage in them.