Ben 10: Ultimate Alien

Bloodstone

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Ben 10: Ultimate Alien

Once again, haven't had much time to work on this, but here's some stuff from Simian Says and Greetings From Techadon:

Ben: Still too trusting for his own good! Ultimatrix - Repair Genetic Damage ability has been removed from his sheet, though I need to add a Matrix Core Detection (with Tracking) for it's ability to home in on the Unitrix/Eunice. Based on the "You make everything look so easy" line of thought, I may consider converting some of his CSL's to Overall Levels. And maybe add some more dice of the good ol' Tennyson Family Luck.

Gwen: Has more than an Everywoman level of Acting/Persuasion it seems...

Kev: While his write up has ample skills relating to his vast knowledge of alien tech, alien cultures and (the wrong side of) galactic law, I don't think I ever wrote up his apparently considerable knowledge of Astronomy :o

Argit: At the point where Gwen is dealing with him, I'd say he's probably a Contact for the whole team now (but obviously a higher roll for Kevin).

Eunice: Still thinking on what I want to do with her. Probably just a Contact for Ben for the time being. I'm also contemplating if I should write up the One Way Upload Link that prevented Ben from accessing the Codon Stream. It's rather plot devicey, but could be used offensively if the two of them ever got in a fight... er, again. Then again, Ben's ability to reboot her is similar...

Brainstorm: His computer like ability to make that trick shot will need to be designed. Probably some CSL's with Extra Time and/or Requires a Roll. Lightning Calculator was already on the sheet, but Absolute Range Sense was not, so I'll add that.

Rath: MORE GALACTIC WRESTLING MOVES!!!! I'm debating on if I will make his flying armbar (Reticulum Armbar!) a Flying Grab, a Joint Break or both... Flipping the car for cover was slick, but I'm probably going to chalk it up as casual strength/power skill roll.

Big Chill - Intangibility doesn't work on... um... assorted gold/silver Techadon metals...

Echo Echo - Can fly (or at least hover) on sound waves now...

Ultimate Echo Echo - The Sonic Disk are already written up as Summons, but this confirms that they stay active even after Ben changes/reverts. Since the Techadon easily destroyed all of them, I'll probably reduce their defenses and body somewhat (though it was obviously a pretty powerful Techadon by that point)

on a tangental note' date=' I was shoocked to discover that Australia may be screening the brand new episodes of Ben 10 upto a day before it gets shown in the states![/quote']

That's happened before in other countries, but I had not heard about it going on right now in Australia.

hmmm... ok, looking at the Australian Carton Network schedule, I don't see any of the new episodes up.

We'll be seeing episode 36 (Flame Keeper's Circle) tomorrow here in the States.

Looks like Australia will only be up to Episode 20 (Absolute Power pt 2) as of 10/9...?

Huh... got a link/TV guide type listing by chance? :)
I looked it up - and phooey - they switching things around again.

All I can say is I watched Simeon Says on TV, thinking it was an episode I somehow missed, before seeing its description as a new episode, on the webz.

if another episode of the latest series shows up, I'll let you know.

• 3 weeks later...

While I can see where you're coming from there, I don't quite agree. ..

Ben's beaten Ssserpent easly before.

Gwen said she would handle it, so it's not like they were ignoting the problem. She's arguably the most powerful member of the team, so I'm sure she was confident she actually could handle it. Gwen knows Ben has a hard time striking the right balance now that he no longer has a secret iD. Plus, she's close with Julie. And she's still a teenage girl at heart, so relationship stuff probably ranks pretty high on her personal scale of importance ;)

Ultimatly, I'm sure Gwen thought she (and Kevin) could take care of it so that Ben could take care of his personal life.

What are friends / teammates for?

I am interested in the new and improved Ssserpent, both in regards to him acting smarter and the fact that he shed his skin... so he might get a physical upgrade as well...

I don't agree.

Sure, he's beaten Serpent before but they doesn't mean he's going to beat him now case in point, he did get his head handed to him this time and more it was a possible a hostage situation which puts more lives in danger or makes things more difficult. It turns out it wasn't but they didn't know that.

Plus it was a few minutes before he plane left. Gwen's also pulled stunts like that before. If it was a one time thing, it wouldn't have bugged me as much as it did. Ben can be self centered but I don't think skipping out on personal time when it comes handling his "job" is an example of that.

The writers have really made Gwen Little Miss Can't be Wrong recently even when it seems her priorities are a little off, IMO.

Does anyone else think the priorities that the show seems to push are skewed sometimes? It's more important to spend a few extra minutes with your girlfriend than potentially save lives and apprehend a murderous criminal?

In hindsight, it was bad form to get up on a soapbox in a character thread. I apologize for that and I'll back off from the topic.

Speaking of. I would have gone in as Big Chill

Yep, me too :)

Frankly, Ben's go to forms are pretty well established and Goop really isn't one of them.

So that whole aspect kind of fell flat even if the idea of one of Ben's villains figuring him out is pretty solid...

Sure, he's beaten Serpent before but they doesn't mean he's going to beat him now case in point, he did get his head handed to him this time and more it was a possible a hostage situation which puts more lives in danger or makes things more difficult.

It was Ssserpent, not Vilgax. Ben has manhandled him in their past two encounters in SECONDS flat. It's not even a contest.

Would you send the Thor and Dr Stranger after Paste Pot Pete or would you trust that either one of them could handle it?

Gwen wanted to give her cousin and her friend a chance to have a nice moment together. Ben's been seeing other girls, he and Julie have been on again off again for a while now and they end up fighting almost every time we see them lately. This is a rather critical time in their relationship, with Julie actually being the one that was going away for a while. It was obvious that she was going to miss him and Ben seemed to feel the same way. He was FINALLY doing something for her that was just a nice, sweet gesture.

Then out of nowhere, danger strikes!

Gwen thought she could handle it and she thought it was important that he stay with Julie. Ben obviously didn't agree. When Gwen tried to convince him not to go with the whole "then you're going alone!" it backfired and he took off in a huff. At that point Gwen, while annoyed with her cousins decision, wasn't worried at all. As she has quite recently explained, Ben makes everything look easy. The idea that he could be defeated by the likes of Ssserpent was inconceivable.

Sure, it's hubris... but it was pretty well justified...

Now, if they treat Ssserpent like a joke again in an upcoming episode, that will probably tick me off...

Plus it was a few minutes before he plane left.

Actually, it was at least an hour or so before liftoff based on the dialogue.

So yes, he probably could have gone Jetray, XLR8 or Fasttrack, zipped over there, kicked the villains butt and been back before she had to board.

That's assuming that nothing else came up... but arguably, Gwen knows better.

It's like Mr Incredible almost missing his own wedding, all the while telling himself "I've still got time"... something is ALWAYS going to happen, be it another small time hood, a full on alien invasion or Ben getting mobbed by fans.

Now, that said, I'm not sure why Ben wanted to drag Julie along to the fight/hostage situation. What exactly was she going to do? That was just a terrible way to make them argue IMO.

So I don't agree with exact method the writer used to make Ben and Julie fight. And I didn't care for how Ssserpent almost managed to defeat Ben.

But... I liked the overall direction of it all.

Gwen's also pulled stunts like that before. If it was a one time thing, it wouldn't have bugged me as much as it did.

Yes she has. If she had told Ben to blow off Julie and catch up with her later it would have been quite out of character ;)

Ben can be self centered but I don't think skipping out on personal time when it comes handling his "job" is an example of that.

It's not so much about Ben being self centered. It's about the fact that Gwen wants her cousin to have a shot at a somewhat normal life outside of work.

She knows what Ben will turn into if he doesn't have any time outside of Hero Time... she's seen that future and doesn't care for it.

Remember, way back in the beginning of Alien Force she really didn't want him to even put the Omnitrix back on because she was afraid he would never be able to take it back off...

The writers have really made Gwen Little Miss Can't be Wrong recently even when it seems her priorities are a little off, IMO

I can agree with feeling this trend more lately than before.

She's the smart and super capable chick on a show primarily aimed at preteen boys. Stereotypical stuff like her being the responsible one or the voice of reason will creep in from time to time.

I know Dwayne made a conscious effort to minimize that sort of thing.

Not sure if we're feeling his absence in that regard or if it's just a coincidence...

In hindsight, it was bad form to get up on a soapbox in a character thread. I apologize for that and I'll back off from the topic.

Don't worry about it. I don't mind and enjoy discussing this sort of stuff :)

• 2 weeks later...

In The Widening Gyre Way Big becomes even more Ultraman-like, having now exhibited bursts of Super Speed. I'm not even sure I want to try and calculate how much AoE TK it takes to throw a mountain sized trashmonster into the sun... That's probably going to bump up the cost of the watch just a bit...

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently - as i speak - watching an episode of Ben 10 haven't seen before. About how Azimuth gave St George a dangerous sword.

I think it may be the one advertized as "A Knight to Remember"

- it seems to be the first part of a two parter.

That one's not airing in the US til next week, so you'll be seeing his new alien Eatle before us ;)

Well, it was nice to see Fasttrack again. Not too much to go on yet, but I'll be writing him up soon. He obviously has super speed, though apparently he also has some degree of super strength (based on outside info, not really on what we've seen so far). Interestingly, that character is from the Ben 10 Galactic Racing video game, but apparently Peter David wanted to use him, so they put him in this season...

I nominate Eatle for worst first transformation ever. Poor guy didn't get a chance to do anything. He's apparently similar to Upchuck, since his power is allegedly to eat things and then fire it off as plasma projected from his horn. We'll see soon...

This plot with the Forever Knights, Vilgax, Daagon (sp?), the Esoterica and Azmuth is interesting, but some things just aren't adding up yet...