Survivor Hero (x2)

ParitySoul

I was tinkering on two variations for an "End of the World" game.

1. An asteroid plumits into earth somewhere near southern California. The resulting dust and debri cast into the atmosphere has triggered a new Ice Age. The PC's have to deal with the catistrophic effects of this event. The massive die offs, the lack of power, food, etc. To make matters worse a strange mutation has seem to have taken the human population. A number of them have begun to develop Psi powers. The manifestations of these power intensify as you grow closer to the crash site. (Now a small inland sea.) But accompaning these powers are horrible physical mutations. Vast power seems to have a price. There are a few themes in the game:

* A new ruling Psionic elite is growing in the blasted west. The few civilized cities in the east are under growing pressure from a psion underground that aims to topple them.

* Rumors are raised that the Psionic abilites may have existed before the accident. Old government reports talk of a research facility (now destroyed) that might answer why so many humans are developing these powers.

* Contact with meteroite pieces seems to have an effect on the Psions, making them more powerful, but forcing terrible physical and some times mental changes upon them. There seems to be signs of some virus. More research shows that it is tailored...

2. Magic returns to the world...two minutes too late. After setting off a series of atomic bombs back during the early 80's most the world is a radioactive wasteland. The magic, and magical creatures don't seem to mix well with fallout. The PC will crawl out of bunkers and silos only to discover a new power runs among them. To make matters worse, strange things like mutant shide, atomic winged canibalistic pixies, and toxic ooze sirens populate this wasted countryside. The magic is unstable and the new rad count only adds to the unstablity, but in all honestly harnessing this power might be the only way humans survive and rebuild their world. Theme of play:

* The forces of darkness wake up to find...heaven. Everything is falling apart, and they've opened up the 24 hour party. Demons, vile magical creations, and assorted undead get downright civilized. After all, this is like home for them. PC's will have to deal with typicaly 'evil' creatures like neighbors.

* Once beautiful, wonderful, and geo-centric creatures have gone insane. Nymphs might need to feed off the blood of virgins to keep their life trees alive, elementals now come in assorted colors and toxins, and the lords of the Earth have desided that the remaining humans are worth, NOTHING! Might as well wipe them out so they can't do anything like this ever again.

*Radiation makes me feel better. Look ma' I got this new healthy glow...and these cool new magical powers! Magic and radiation start to mix and blend. A new type of mage comes out of the worse types of burning salt flats with a glint in their eyes that can melt steel and put a permant smile on your face. The PC will have to either negotiate or run like hell.

I pop out Campaign ideas like this every day. Just wanted to share and get some comments. Thanks.

Originally posted by ParitySoul

Well at least I'm getting reads. :) Kinda curious about suggestions though. Any refinements that you can think of?

Maybe not refinements. The thought of blood mad nymphs on harleys riding into town out of their woods sets up an interesting picture. Pixies flying like that scene from the birds.

Give us time to think of some - interesting ideas though.

I think you have an extremely interesting campaign setting there -- sort of post-holocaust fantasy. If you perhaps throw in a few elements of Westerns (forts, peaceful villages, marauders, and such) you'd really have something going.

Me, I didn't reply the first time out because I kept envisioning Jeff Probst in the middle of it. ;)

Ongoing Apocalypse

While it can get a little overkill, it might be interesting to actually run characters THROUGH whatever apocalypse you end up choosing. Most of the game ideas I've seen are those that take place a bit after the apocalyptic action has died down (which is also a valid choice).

There's some interesting drama in running literally during whatever "white event" is taking place. You can build some very interesting apocalypses this way, as the doomed dominos start to fall and the wierd mutations (or magickal creatures, or mutated magickal creatures) start showing back up to annoy the populace.

How about an ice age that encroaches over a few weeks? How about the forces of darkness showing back up in bits and pieces, one city at a time?

There's a lot of interesting things you can run extrapolating how the world would REACT to these changes.

Read "Y The Last Man," or "The Stand," or numerous others for resources. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well I saw "the stand" miniseries but didnt read the book. Flagg I gathered to be the Devil. WHo was taking the opportunity of an cataclysmic edipdemic to take over what was left. To be a little orignal I would suggest one of these 3 mythological gods:

Hades/Pluto: Greek/Roman

Anubis- Egypt

Loki- Viking

These I think were pretty much the "troublemakers" I think in their respective myths (not for sure on Anubis, exactly, though). This might help if you go with an evil being taking advantage and taking over scenario.

Or you can just make Jeff Probst the Anti-Christ.

:D

I prefer my PA games a little more madmax and less Gamma World / Shadowrun but I did play around a bit with a Wizards (the movie) like PA world, kind of madmax meets D&D or Tunnels and Thompsons. Basically take your end of the world scenario and add in Fantasy elements, the more civilaized people had more modern (real) equipment, less civilized (orcs etc) had some pretty out there stuff (black powder sten guns, steam powered cars etc). I didn't get much beyond an outline so didn't get into Magic but planned to have some.

I like you second idea better, (just me, nothing against your idea) if you have not seen Wizards I'd suggest you do, it would probably give you many ideas.

Dont know if anybody remembers the old Thundarr the Barbarian cartoons. But by the sound of it you could run something like that.

The plot was something like a comet tore apart the moon which did some "wacky" things with the ocean's tide, etc. And pretty much destroyed civilization. 2000 years later.....

Basically you got things from fantasy magic, wizards, etc. With some left over technology being implemented in with the story. Wizards having armies equippedwith old army vehicles, etc.