CHAMPIONS VILLAINS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: CHAMPIONS VILLAINS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

1. I could see adding a "line item" to the descriptions called something like "Classification" that would cover the villain's "level" per Champions p. 162, or including a line for this in the Campaign Use section. I'm less sanguine about including the "archetype" designations from pp. 167-69 because that information is already covered by other parts of the description.

2. I can also see adding something along the lines of a "Known Associates And Adversaries" section to the description -- or at least to some descriptions, since for many villains there may not be much of anything to say here, and I'm not going to force it. This could also include the "what so-and-so thinks about so-and-so" bits that I came up with to fill CKC whitespace. But I can guarantee you I'm not going overboard trying to think up stuff along these lines. ;)

3. I will consider adding a "what people know" sidebar for each character, though that's a good bit of extra work.

It sounds like much of this info could feasibly be combined in such sidebars, where appropriate, especially the "Classification" label (also, if such Classification info is actually available, which might not be the case with brand new villains).

I can't list how much anyone's worth as a Hunter because that depends on a relative evaluation of power levels. However' date=' I may be able to say in the Introduction something like, "Compared to a typical starting Superhero, a Lieutenant-level villain is typically an "As Powerful" Hunted." I'm reluctant to do even that, though, because it's a very individualized sort of evaluation.[/quote']

Seeing the point of different definitions of such distinctions in different campaigns, perhaps even noting this isn't really useful at all except for bringing up a discussion of what it actually means. Absolute power level classifications are related to the dodo.

5. Similarly' date=' the "how this guy functions as a Hunter" sentence/paragraph in the Campaign Use section may go away on many sheets. All too often it's not really adding anything the average reader doesn't pretty much already know. If I have something actually useful to say on this subject, I certainly will, but otherwise I'd rather save a little space, perhaps to include some of the other things people have suggested.[/quote']

Where/if appropriate, maybe something like:

"In campaigns where information-gathering and PR are important factors, [villain] can be considered one step more powerful when defined as a Hunted that is only Watching a character."

The aforementioned Franklin Stone might be considered a step up in power level as a Watcher compared to power as a Hunter, relatively speaking. Where appropriate, it might be useful to have a notation of an increased capacity for information-gathering compared to straight power level - villains with extensive media or intelligence connections, etc.

Grond as a Watcher would obviously be worth no points, while for Dr Destroyer or any other master villain with similar resources any such distinction wouldn't really matter.

4. OTOH' date=' the "Plot Seeds" sidebars are going away. They suffer from a number of problems, including (a) they tend to become repetitive, since there are relatively few ways to make a single villain the focus of a plot involving an entire superhero team, and (B) they're a royal pain in the ass to write. If I add a "what people know" sidebar, that would take up the requisite sidebar space anyway... and to some extent that and an "Associates and Antagonists" section might cover much the same ground as "Plot Seeds."[/quote']

6. There won't be any "master chart" of villains as I currently envision things. When polled on them some years ago' date=' a sufficiently large majority of fans responded "don't use them/don't care about them" that I'm not willing to put myself or the layout guy through the agonizing work of preparing them. OTOH, this might be a fun project for a fan to undertake that we could then turn into a Free Stuff item. ;)[/quote']

Hmm. I do seem to remember a Free Stuff download of additional plot seeds...

7. No Women Of Evil calendar' date=' sorry. The budget's not big enough to handle the modeling fees.[/quote']

Another fun fan project? No wait... :hush:

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick comments about other suggestions:

4. OTOH, the "Plot Seeds" sidebars are going away. They suffer from a number of problems, including (a) they tend to become repetitive, since there are relatively few ways to make a single villain the focus of a plot involving an entire superhero team, and (B) they're a royal pain in the ass to write. If I add a "what people know" sidebar, that would take up the requisite sidebar space anyway... and to some extent that and an "Associates and Antagonists" section might cover much the same ground as "Plot Seeds."

Good points. I know I for one am sick of looking at the Plot Seeds and seeing yet another, "Villain falls in love with PC X" blurb... But I would miss the feature for the ones that actually ARE good/inspring. And some villains really do lend themselves to oddball scenarios (Captain Chronos, Nebula, Black Harlequin, and so forth).

Perhaps an essay at the end with a list of 'generic plot seeds' (your DNPC has been kidnapped! Villain X is in love with PC Y, but only in their Secret ID! "With this generic MacGuffin I could, dare I say it, Rule The World!" Etc.), and then for those occasions when an author really DOES have an original idea for a given character, that could be a white-space-filler?

Granted, I've lost count of the Plot Seeds that hinge on 'X falls deathly ill due to his/her/its powers going haywire. Your heroes have to find Super Secret Cure 999-Z to save them', for example. Everybody from Ma'at to Cateran to Duke Steel...

Maybe just a short section at the end, with such 'generic' seeds and a few bullet-pointed names attached to each header?

I remember asking about the Elder Worm in the HSB thread, so I thought that I would mention that here...

I like the idea of reading about relations between supervillains.

I'm wondering if there could be a sidebar of quick info for each villain that states basic information for a GM as they glide through the book.

For example the sidebar on Grond's page could say:

Name: Grond

Alternate Identities: Sidney Potter

Threat Level: Beta

Archetype(s): Brick

Known Abilities: Superhuman strength, toughness, and stamina; Four arms; Horns.

Known Whereabouts: Millennium City, MI

That's a basic text block idea, but if done I'm sure that there's room for improvement.

Watchdog -- believe me, no one loves the villains in Underworld Enemies more than me! But I have a strict policy: no one gets to do new versions of Chris Avellone villains but Chris Avellone... and sadly the guy's become this big-time success in computer games and doesn't have time to write RPG supplements anymore. ;) Perhaps someday! I'd love to get him to do a whole Fell's Point sourcebook, really.

I'm wondering if there could be a sidebar of quick info for each villain that states basic information for a GM as they glide through the book.

For example the sidebar on Grond's page could say:

Threat Level: Beta

Archetype(s): Brick

Known Abilities: Superhuman strength, toughness, and stamina; Four arms; Horns.

Known Whereabouts: Millennium City, MI

I don't dislike this idea at all, but my main concerns are (a) more work for me, and (B) Fred will kill me if he has to format more stuff in boxes in a book already full of character sheets. ;) So we'll put this one on the "Maybe" pile. :hex:

I don't dislike this idea at all' date=' but my main concerns are (a) more work for me, and (B) Fred will kill me if he has to format more stuff in boxes in a book already full of character sheets. ;) So we'll put this one on the "Maybe" pile. :hex:[/quote']

Hey cool enough to get a "maybe."

Come to think of it:

Occupation (if any) would be interesting for PC's who might run into villains while in their civvies

Height (for size purposes)

and Weight (good for throwing purposes)

Would also be interesting fluff info on each villain.

I can't list how much anyone's worth as a Hunter because that depends on a relative evaluation of power levels.
What about possibly just listing whether or not the villain (as written' date=' and assuming they're being used in the [i']Champions Universe[/i]) would qualify for "Extensive Non-Combat Influence?" It's often clear one way or the other, but also often not...

This would probably be beyond the scope of what you'd be willing to take on, but I'd personally love to see very brief (literally no more than a sentence or two) spins on each character's background that could have resulted in the character becoming a Hero or an Anti-Hero/Sympathetic Villain instead (or a True Villain if the character is already an Anti-Hero/Sympathetic Villain). For example, Foxbat's writeup could have a line that says something like, "Hero Option: Freddy's obsession with comic books manifested with him imagining himself in the role of a good guy instead of a bad guy. True Villain Option: After losing his trust fund money and facing genuine hard times, Freddy's outlook grew a bit grimmer, and his crimes -- however wacky -- now all have the serious aim of boosting his wealth."

One issue with that though' date=' would be the necessity of grading each character's threat level, which would lead to the need of creating said grading system.[/quote']

True, but couldn't it basically be imported from Champions Universe 5e (I believe that's where it originated).

It also would give a good guide for GM's who like to actually mention it, and as the 5e CU mentions (haven't read CU 6e yet), there are villains who like to brag about their ranking if they know it.

I think that it carries a lot of interesting fluff.

If I remember though, it basically came down to something like:

Alpha - Can't really threaten even minor regions of the planet (City, County, Province/State)

Beta - Can threaten minor regions of the planet (City, County, Province/State), sometimes major ones (Country, Continent)

Delta - Can threaten major regions of the planet (Country, Continent), sometimes even the whole world

Omega - Consistently world threatening

I recall that it had less to do with personal power and more to do with capability, drive, motivation, etc. Firewing and Grond were both Betas while the significantly weaker Masquerade and Fiacho were Deltas, for example.

What about possibly just listing whether or not the villain (as written' date=' and assuming they're being used in the [i']Champions Universe[/i]) would qualify for "Extensive Non-Combat Influence?" It's often clear one way or the other, but also often not...

This would probably be beyond the scope of what you'd be willing to take on, but I'd personally love to see very brief (literally no more than a sentence or two) spins on each character's background that could have resulted in the character becoming a Hero or an Anti-Hero/Sympathetic Villain instead (or a True Villain if the character is already an Anti-Hero/Sympathetic Villain). For example, Foxbat's writeup could have a line that says something like, "Hero Option: Freddy's obsession with comic books manifested with him imagining himself in the role of a good guy instead of a bad guy. True Villain Option: After losing his trust fund money and facing genuine hard times, Freddy's outlook grew a bit grimmer, and his crimes -- however wacky -- now all have the serious aim of boosting his wealth."

Count me in as intrigued.

Could also be used for superhero write ups in the future.

Count me in as intrigued.

Could also be used for superhero write ups in the future.

Foxbat is obviously an extremely simple example (and therefore not necessarily the most interesting illustration of the idea). But the thing I like about it is that it can spur different ways of looking at the character (which can spawn plot seeds), and it can suggest ideas of other ways to use the writeups (either literally as sheets for alternate versions of the characters, or in other campaigns, etc.)

Foxbat is obviously an extremely simple example (and therefore not necessarily the most interesting illustration of the idea. But the thing I like about it is that it can spur different ways of looking at the character (which can spawn plot seeds)' date=' and it can suggest ideas of other ways to use the writeups (either literally as sheets for alternate versions of the characters, or in other campaigns, etc.)[/quote']

Yes, that's how I see it too.

It goes hand in hand with a lot of that 6th edition, "it's your game/campaign," philosophy that I picked up on in the core books.

For myself I would prefer backgrounds to be more generic world friendly.

What I mean is having a background so detailed that it is useless unless you are playing them completely in the Champ Universe as written means that it is easier to just scrap the entire villain and make up your own. Which I take as the complete opposite of what a book of villains is for, to allow the GM to have a ready bunch of villainy to draw from when short of time.

I don't mean a complete stripping of detail in any way, but rather adding some prompts/notes. For instance if Villain 'A' is planning to destroy the City because Calvin Biselle bullied and persecuted him as a kid and humiliated him as a teenager instead of saying:

"Megamind's driving force is his plan to destroy the City in revenge for the bullying and humiliation inflicted on him by Calvin Biselle when he was a teenager."

say:

"Megamind's driving force is his plan to destroy the City in revenge for the bullying and humiliation inflicted on him by Calvin Biselle (the Mayor of Millennium City) when he was a teenager."

or even just

"Megamind's driving force is his plan to destroy the City in revenge for the bullying and humiliation inflicted on him by Calvin Biselle (the mayor) when he was a teenager."

That way the book is more usable for the GM that is not running his game in the Champs Universe. Anyone running the CU woudl know that Calvin Biselle is the Mayor of Millennium City, but if you are not, the name is just meaningless noise. But if the description ID's the function of the person named it allows the GM to immediately ID the mentioned NPC's importance.

This allows the full text for the world as published but also takes into account the many people not running cannon.

I don't think I explained that very well, but I'm sure Herodom will be able to read between the lines.

I third (fourth, fifth?) this. Great idea.

I loved this in 3rd ed!

I'll be a little sad to see the "How this villain would be a hunted" blurb go away, but the what people know would definitely cheer me up.

For myself I would prefer backgrounds to be more generic world friendly.

What I mean is having a background so detailed that it is useless unless you are playing them completely in the Champ Universe as written means that it is easier to just scrap the entire villain and make up your own. Which I take as the complete opposite of what a book of villains is for, to allow the GM to have a ready bunch of villainy to draw from when short of time.

I don't mean a complete stripping of detail in any way, but rather adding some prompts/notes. For instance if Villain 'A' is planning to destroy the City because Calvin Biselle bullied and persecuted him as a kid and humiliated him as a teenager instead of saying:

"Megamind's driving force is his plan to destroy the City in revenge for the bullying and humiliation inflicted on him by Calvin Biselle when he was a teenager."

say:

"Megamind's driving force is his plan to destroy the City in revenge for the bullying and humiliation inflicted on him by Calvin Biselle (the Mayor of Millennium City) when he was a teenager."

or even just

"Megamind's driving force is his plan to destroy the City in revenge for the bullying and humiliation inflicted on him by Calvin Biselle (the mayor) when he was a teenager."

That way the book is more usable for the GM that is not running his game in the Champs Universe. Anyone running the CU woudl know that Calvin Biselle is the Mayor of Millennium City, but if you are not, the name is just meaningless noise. But if the description ID's the function of the person named it allows the GM to immediately ID the mentioned NPC's importance.

This allows the full text for the world as published but also takes into account the many people not running cannon.

I don't think I explained that very well, but I'm sure Herodom will be able to read between the lines.

Well, I get what you're saying, and I think that it's a good idea.

Not every GM uses the Champions Universe. Hell, imagine if there was little work to be done for inserting any character into other campaigns.

On the other hand, that may take some work to "genericize" backgrounds; perhaps there could be a section in the book about how to adapt supervillains to other campaigns.

CKC did have a section similar to this as it would apply to alternate genres.

Are these books specific to the Champions Universe or are they, like the Champions sourcebook, catering to the broader spectrum of supers roleplaying?

Wanted posters with a mugshot (or blurry image if never apprehended) and a quick description of why the villain is wanted by the law - I see this as perhaps most useful for introducing Solo villains, but could be used for Teams or Master villains, perhaps as F.B.I.'s most wanted? For example, Electronamo: Wanted for Murder, Aggravated Assault, Kidnapping and Arson. Essentially, what might show up in a super team's crime computer or villain database. I realize that creating one for every villain or group is impractical, but a few of them scattered throughout the books could be fun.

Master Villains - Suggestions on the best ways to play a successful master villain

-- How to maintain control of henchmen - I hear fear works. So does money!

-- Where funding comes from - Are they all independently wealthy? Steal to get what they need? Have an honest job?

-- How do you (as GM) develop plot's slowly - How to keep the heroes from immediately knocking on the master villain's door, because nobody likes the heroes crashing the party early.

-- Trap construction for master villain lairs - Foolproof? But superheroes are a better breed of fools! Perhaps reference Ultimate Base?

-- A (small) section on monologuing - Remember Syndrome from The Incredibles? Yeah, that.

Team Villains - Suggestions on the best ways to play a successful team of villains

-- Why are they together - Common motivations for teams/gangs.

-- What keeps them from killing each other or stabbing each other in the back - Something more than selfishness in villains.

-- Who is really in charge - How teams blunder the coup d'etat.

-- Gangs - Not all villain teams are super-powered.

Solo Villains - Suggestions on the best ways to play a successful solo villain

-- Vigilantism or misguided villain - The darker side of heroism.

-- Common crimes and how they occur - For random encounters.

-- Crime-committing duos - More than solo, yet less than a team.

Just a few thoughts I had. I'll try to dream up more tonight. I have to say, it is fun shoving ideas out there into the ether. It's kind of like throwing spaghetti at the wall to see if any of it sticks.

Teams.

Lots and lots of teams. I tend to shy away from many 6 on 1 superbaddy battles. I could care less what Tokafanes's stats are. I'm never, ever going to use him...and if I wanted to he's going to be a plot device. I just have no use in my game for villains built on 1000+ points.

A couple of loose average point villains are nice, but I get the most use out of teams.

One of the things I've always thought that set CLOWN (oh CLOWN, how I miss thee [hint hint 8P]) and FoxBat apart was that you knew what kind of crimes and schemes they tended to prefer. I think that is part of why I do so favour them. If the book doesn't tell you that the Penguin likes bird-themed crimes, and CatWoman cat-themed crimes, it's almost a shame. Is EuroStar after global domination or would a small country be enough? Does Armadillo really care about who's in charge or what kind of crime he commits as long as it earns him a comfy lifestyle? Why a character commits crimes or acts how they do is very important, but as a GM the ability to fit the crime to the group/individual adds that extra bit of oomf that makes the game memorable.

I guess what I'm asking for is a bit about Modus Operandi in the Motivation section of each character and group.

I also find the bits about team dynamics important. If someone is rankling under the heavy-handed direction of the group's leader, that is important information for a heroic team to have.

CLOWN? :)

A list of ideas:

1) I wonder if there is any villain-specific material that could be gleaned from Villainy Amok?

2) Might there be the possibility of quick-fix Templates and/or Powers for villain writeups in the tradition of the HSB?

The villain adaptation guide could be put at the beginning of the book and expanded.

It could discuss what to add versus what to remove from any given villain writeup as per various genres - an emphasis on what truly defines the character might be a useful piece of advice.

3) What if there was a discussion of superhumans and the law, seeing as this a book is full of superhuman criminals? (I haven't read CU 6e yet)

4) Some advice for making supervillains stand out in a game rather than be another face to punch would be nifty.

5) Game mastering advice for Masters, Teams, and Solo Villains could start every respective chapter.

6) This is a different suggestion, but I'm giving it a shot: what if, for reading experience, the order went solo villains, then villain teams, and then master villains, with advice for each section kinda building upon earlier advice so that it weans the reader into the more complex villains to run in a game?

6) This is a different suggestion' date=' but I'm giving it a shot: what if, for reading experience, the order went solo villains, then villain teams, and then master villains, with advice for each section kinda building upon earlier advice so that it weans the reader into the more complex villains to run in a game?[/quote']

That would depend on the order in which you bought the books. ;)

Heya folx! It's time for another WDYWTS thread. This time out: the Champions Villains trilogy!

As many of you already know, I'm currently working on a three-book review of the villains of the Champions Universe:

Volume 1: Master Villains

Volume 2: Villain Teams

Volume 3: Solo Villains

These are currently planned as hardcover, full-color books.

Dr. Draconis needs to come back!

I'd love to see some big-bad Ultimate villains like (most especially) Takofanes/Kal-Turak (ultimate Mystic villain), and Menton (Ultimate Mentalist villain), Teleios, etc. with a few different versions (various power levels, historical points) if possible sorta like Dr. Destroyer got in the Book of the Destroyer. Detailed write-ups really showcasing the variety of powers possible with the Hero System beyond the basics like the Ultimate books do so well -- a showcase Ultimate villain for each of these Ultimate sub-types -- Brick, Martial Arts, Energy Projector, Speedster, Mystic, Metamorph, Powersuit, etc...

I know it's for Champions but other Genre adaptation tips would be much welcomed value added.

Teams.

This may come across as sarcastic or peeved, but I promise I'm in neither mood. ;)

Did you even read the introductory post? There's an entire book of villain teams. That's one reason I organized the trilogy the way it is, to make it easier for a GM to find what he's lookin' for. ;)

Once again, let me respond to a few points that have been raised by several of you. ;)

1. There aren't going to be any sections on roleplaying villains, villain types, ways to use villains, or what have you. That's covered sufficiently in Champions, and in the case of some subjects (like superhumans and the law) in Champions Universe. The CV trilogy is nothing but a big ol' collection of villains to use in your games.

2. I don't particularly care for the "how to use this guy as a hero" bit; it's more work for me that I don't think most gamers will ever get any use out of. But as usual, never say never.

3. The CV trilogy covers the villains of the Champions Universe, so yes, it's tied to a setting. But I don't think that restricts its usefulness in any way, and I'm not going to try to "genericize" the villains any more than they already are, for a couple of reasons. First, the CU is already pretty much as "generic" as, say, the Marvel or DC Universes, which is to say, as "generic" as most Champions campaigns IMO. I don't think any "genericization" is necessary for the villains to be used in most campaigns -- and to the extent that it is, that's a very personal-to-the-GM thing that I can't really help with. Second, I think that Champions players are pretty smart and savvy and can easily figure out how to adapt these villains to their own campaigns without the need for any extra work on my part. ;)

4. I don't have the time or page space to provide different versions/power levels of villains; the best you can expect there is the "how to make this villain more/less powerful" paragraph that appears in the Campaign Use section of the character sheet. Nor do I have time or page space to provide suggestions about uses in other genres -- this isn't a multi-genre book, it's a book for Champions and I'm going to keep it focused thataway. ;)

5. There will be no, I repeat no, Lady Blue centerfold. Ain't happenin'. :eek::nonp:;)