CHAMPIONS VILLAINS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: CHAMPIONS VILLAINS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

For example' date=' Foxbat's writeup could have a line that says something like, "Hero Option: Freddy's obsession with comic books manifested with him imagining himself in the role of a good guy instead of a bad guy. True Villain Option: After losing his trust fund money and facing genuine hard times, Freddy's outlook grew a bit grimmer, and his crimes -- however wacky -- now all have the serious aim of boosting his wealth."[/quote']

"I'm the goddamn Foxbat."

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CLOWN isn't going to happen in these books, I'm sure.

But for some future supplement, perhaps we might see a new CLOWN - one which centers on the lighthearted, prank-based criminals from the silver age, perhaps even stealing some names and schticks from the old CLOWN characters, but reinventing the characters so they are focused on interesting and entertaining adventures, not on controlling the characters and frustrating their players.

Probably not for this outing, though. That's too many new villains, and even if Steve wanted to add another dozen or so new villains, I'd rather they be selected for variety and interesting new concepts than a theme group.

I'd like to see characters, old or new, that showcase some of the changes from 5e to 6e. They don't all need to have base OCV=Base DCV=1/3 DEX (and I would still like to see DEX brought back into line, and reflect how agile this character is, rather than how high his base CV's are, but that ship has realistically already sailed). Let's see some villains with creative Barriers, use of Damage Negation, villains with lower defenses but high STUN and REC. Steve, let's see some characters who demonstrate that the changes and additions in 6e have improved the game play experience with creative use of the new and changed mechanics. That's the kind of thing that could motivate someone who has all these villains already to be a buyer. If there's nothing else that's new - the book is just "here's all our old villains using the new 6e point structure", then the per character cost of those 20 new villains is pretty high for an existing Hero-Ite to shell out the price of 3 new books.

For teams, I'd like to see some tactics/maneuvers. I'm awful at running teams like Eurostar - I'm never enough of a rat bastard to give them the right feel. Having some sets of suggested tactics (Durak will throw rocks and buses at innocents, making himself the target; meanwhile, at least two other members will focus on taking down the oposing leader; Fiacho will often stand back to observe, but will fill in as needed; etc.) would help me tremendously.

I got to thinking that, depending on the overall size of the Master Villains book, what if each entry was basically a mini-Book of the Destroyer/Machine?

Come to think of it, The Dragon Mandarin is pretty close to what I'm picturing.

Something that could save time on that could be a generic "Master Villain Henchman" and each Master Villain has a Template that can be added to the base character sheet.

I got to thinking that, depending on the overall size of the Master Villains book, what if each entry was basically a mini-Book of the Destroyer/Machine?

Come to think of it, The Dragon Mandarin is pretty close to what I'm picturing.

Something that could save time on that could be a generic "Master Villain Henchman" and each Master Villain has a Template that can be added to the base character sheet.

Well, I'd hope that both the master villain and team books would go into a bit more detail than has previously been the case. Also, I'd hope that Ist'vatha V'han has more powers than an energy blast, this time around...

Well, I'd hope that both the master villain and team books would go into a bit more detail than has previously been the case.

The Master Villains book certainly will, though there are practical limits on how much I can say about any given bad guy. The Teams book may, but that's less likely.

Also, I'd hope that Ist'vatha V'han has more powers than an energy blast, this time around...

She already does -- her Extradimensional Movement ability and her defenses. And that's all she's going to have this time around. She's already the most dangerous villain in the entire setting; she doesn't need to be a combat monster as well. ;)

My initial input:

1) I support the "How to use this character as a hero" idea, but not so strongly. I'd rather see a "how to darken or lighten this character's tone" bit in Campaign Use -- not for all the characters, necessarily, but for enough that a GM doesn't have to stretch too far if he's running a "superpowered serial killer" game, or a comedic game. (On the latter note especially, I'm personally fond of playing Grond as a dimwitted rube, as easily manipulated as Yosemite Sam, with similar results.)

2) I'd like to see Foxbat in the Master Villains book rather than the Solo Villains book. Adding Exo-Skeleton Man and/or other sidekicks is optional (though I'd love to have at least Leroy and the Centipedemobile), but somehow it Just Seems Right that he be in there.

3) In the Solo Villains book, if possible, I'd love to see Blue Screamer (from DH22). I've always wanted to make a specific contribution of an ongoing character to a published universe, even if a very small one, and this would certainly qualify. (Yes, my motivation for this request is entirely selfish. So shoot me. But what the hey -- DOJ already owns the rights to the character, so why not?)

4) I tend to agree with the idea of doing away with the "Plot Seeds" sidebars. In place of that, some general broad strokes can be listed in the Campaign Use section on the types of scenarios and plot complications the character can generate. Since a large share of the published characters already have that, it shouldn't be too much work.

Those are just my initial thoughts, mind you; I have plenty more. ;)

The Master Villains book certainly will, though there are practical limits on how much I can say about any given bad guy. The Teams book may, but that's less likely.

She already does -- her Extradimensional Movement ability and her defenses. And that's all she's going to have this time around. She's already the most dangerous villain in the entire setting; she doesn't need to be a combat monster as well. ;)

That's always been my favorite part about Istvatha V'Han - whatever you need her to have, just give it to her, cuz she rules a billion dimensions (or so she claims).

For teams' date=' I'd like to see some tactics/maneuvers. I'm awful at running teams like Eurostar - I'm never enough of a rat bastard to give them the right feel. Having some sets of suggested tactics (Durak will throw rocks and buses at innocents, making himself the target; meanwhile, at least two other members will focus on taking down the oposing leader; Fiacho will often stand back to observe, but will fill in as needed; etc.) would help me tremendously.[/quote']

I agree with including suggested team tactics and maneuvers. A number of published teams for Third and Fourth Edition Champs -- Strike Force, the Protectors, the Asesinos, the Zodiac -- included combat maneuvers with names and code words, and sub-team combinations for specific types of missions, which taught me a lot about how to run a superteam. Personally I feel comfortable handling that part of the game now, but for newcomers or folks like Dave ;) that would doubtlessly be quite helpful.

That's always been my favorite part about Istvatha V'Han - whatever you need her to have' date=' just give it to her, cuz she rules a billion dimensions (or so she claims).[/quote']

Yeah, according to her write-up in Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks that's an exaggeration -- it's only around a hundred million. ;)

Given her concept, one would be well justified to take any published character, weapon, or vehicle, change its name and perhaps appearance, and call it part of V'han's forces.

Note that the current 2011 publishing schedule includes the Book Of The Empress, giving Istvatha the same detailed treatment as Dr. Destroyer and Mechanon have already received in their own "Books Of...".

Yeah' date=' according to her write-up in [i']Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks[/i] that's an exaggeration -- it's only around a hundred million. ;)

Given her concept, one would be well justified to take any published character, weapon, or vehicle, change its name and perhaps appearance, and call it part of V'han's forces.

Note that the current 2011 publishing schedule includes the Book Of The Empress, giving Istvatha the same detailed treatment as Dr. Destroyer and Mechanon have already received in their own "Books Of...".

Yes, and I'm pumped for that book.

In many cases, who says that you even need to file the serial numbers off?

What she conquered a universe with Doctor Destroyer in it? What if she's conquered thousands?

Once again, the possibilities are virtually endless with her.

:eg:

"We have legions - legions - at our command. You... have six people in bright garments and a quaint aircraft.

"We do not need to sully our hands on the likes of you. General Harmon? Deploy the Ninth Legion to deal with them..." Istvatha V'han, just before the &@$% hit the fan at speed.

If I may try to steer the thread back on course... (since all of this talk of Istvatha V'han seems much more appropriate for a Book of the Empress thread)

1) How much Book of the Destroyer/Machine material (if any) will be in the Master Villains book?

2) I do have the feeling that the Villain Teams book could be a sort of half-step between the Solo and the Masters book.

Yeah' date=' according to her write-up in [i']Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks[/i] that's an exaggeration -- it's only around a hundred million. ;)

"I would have these impertinent intruders gone from my sight. Release the Grond Troops!"

Speaking of Grond, I'd like to see a more detailed write-up of him for the new books, one that makes him more of an unstoppable engine of destruction. Towards that end, please consider using powers like Damage Negation or some of the Strength and Toughness powers from Champions Powers in his new write-up.

I know it's more work for you, but I'll also toss my vote in for more than just doing a straight port from 5th edition on the characters. Not necessarily all of them, but it would be nice to see write-ups taking advantage of all the new options in 6th edition. I don't know about anyone else, but I always find it illustrative to have example characters to look at and see how its done when I'm trying to grok a game.

And another vote for making Grond's write-up match his reputation better.

In Villain Teams: I want to see more of the Tiger Squad, and not just a few more - this is a "team" with dozens of members, break it down into suggestions of "sub-teams" of members that prefer to work together, give us a good dozen to create a viable realistic group of people that are forced together by circumstance rather than any underlying ideology.

In Master Villains: A few who aren't quite Megalomaniac Level and would settle for merely ruling a country. Like say, Eva Peron as Master Villainess or something.

I know it's more work for you' date=' but I'll also toss my vote in for more than just doing a straight port from 5th edition on the characters. Not necessarily all of them, but it would be nice to see write-ups taking advantage of all the new options in 6th edition. I don't know about anyone else, but I always find it illustrative to have example characters to look at and see how its done when I'm trying to grok a game.[/quote']I'll echo this, particularly:

1) on characters whose OCV and DCV differ from each other, and from what would have been expected from the given DEX, for reasons other than the character's size.

2) for including Powers and other options from APG, particularly Possession; Entangles and Mental Powers based on Characteristics other than EGO and CON; the Affects Large Targets Advantage for Entangle; and characters who Combine.

Speaking of Grond' date=' I'd like to see a more detailed write-up of him for the new books, one that makes him more of an unstoppable engine of destruction. Towards that end, please consider using powers like Damage Negation or some of the Strength and Toughness powers from [i']Champions Powers[/i] in his new write-up.

I figure that his Ultimate Brick writeup would be a good start, plus Damage Negation would make a good replacement for Lack of Weakness.

Also, I've thought for some time that Grond should have elements related to his size, like reach and Knockback Resistance - he's depicted as too big to mechanically handwave in my opinion.

I don't personally know, but judging from the few pics that I've seen from 6e 1&2, he easily looks Large, possibly Semi-Enormous.

I also wonder if there could be a little more differentiation between Grond and Obelisque - they fill pretty darn similar roles and seem too interchangeable.

I would also like to request that Ogre be adapted from his TUB version.

Um...