CHAMPIONS VILLAINS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: CHAMPIONS VILLAINS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

No' date=' sadly, Fred's going to be doing this one. ;)[/quote']

I chose my adjectives to avoid confusion. (:?p)

casualplayer likes the Long attitude of "flavor to taste" creeping through this thread. Nothing says Durak's stats can't be used for a demon, a Taiwanese Triad enforcer or Ogun, God of Iron.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may argue that it is an attitude that should be cultivated.

I'm no business nor marketing expert but I would guess that non-supers HEROphiles might be more likely to purchase the villains books if the idea that no writeup is written in stone was instilled into their design philosophy throughout the 6e line.

casualplayer likes the Long attitude of "flavor to taste" creeping through this thread. Nothing says Durak's stats can't be used for a demon, a Taiwanese Triad enforcer or Ogun, God of Iron.

Sure. We even said that in CKC years ago, with an example showing how to turn Anubis into a Chinese god. Between the CV trilogy and the HSB, a clever GM should have no trouble coming up with virtually anything by making a few changes -- and if you have the Character Packs for the books, it's just a few seconds' worth of mouse-clicks! ;)

What about THE CORRUPTORS OF ALL first seen in the third ed enemies book?

or AGENT ANARKY from European Enemies plus the following:

ROADKILL from ROADKILL[4th ed]

TIME MASTER from Classic Enemies

PSI-KIN from Villiany UNBOUND[3rd ed]

THUNDER & LIGHTNING from Classic Enemies

What about THE CORRUPTORS OF ALL first seen in the third ed enemies book?

or AGENT ANARKY from European Enemies plus the following:

ROADKILL from ROADKILL[4th ed]

TIME MASTER from Classic Enemies

PSI-KIN from Villiany UNBOUND[3rd ed]

THUNDER & LIGHTNING from Classic Enemies

Steve already addressed this:

I understand if this would constitute bean-spilling at this point' date=' but I was wondering if any of the classic Champions villains that hadn't yet made it into 5E books will show up in the CV volumes. For example, I've sometimes seen hints in published books and website postings that Archimago could possibly make a comeback. :bounce:[/quote']

I'm willing to spill that many beans' date=' at least. ;) No, none of the 20-some new villains in CV are "old" villains being written up again, returned from the dead, or what have you. The new villains, be they from the MMO or not, are entirely new.*[/quote']

Perhaps there could be some sort of mentioning about the general power level that each villain assumes that the PC's are at.

It could be as simple as Active Points or Damage Classes. I think that it would be useful as an adjustment guide for non-standard power level groups.

OOOKAAY so instead of resurrecting them ' date='Why not reimagine them for the 6th ed and the MMO? The Corruptors had'nt been seen in the Champions Universe for decades!![/i']

He didn't just say it was because some of them were dead. Most aren't. He said, "No, none of the 20-some new villains in CV are "old" villains being written up again." Period. Why keep asking for it when he very clearly stated that it is not going to happen in these books?

Sure. We even said that in CKC years ago' date=' with an example showing how to turn Anubis into a Chinese god. Between the CV trilogy and the HSB, a clever GM should have no trouble coming up with virtually anything by making a few changes -- and if you have the Character Packs for the books, it's just a few seconds' worth of mouse-clicks! ;)[/quote']

I was going to mention that very example. Will there be something similar in any of the three books? Two to four pages with a similar example in each of the books would be a neat addition. I actually like the idea of turning Durak into a demon... or maybe an NPC Hero to save the day.

I'm sure this has been dabated elsewhere, and has probably already been decided on and will not change, however I want to make an official request:

While I agree with the idea of making the names of the books more generic, I would like to see something more creative for a subtitle on the books. As an example under this format: Champions Villains: Masterminds Those who would Rule. Not very creative on my part but illustrates my point I think

I was going to mention that very example. Will there be something similar in any of the three books? Two to four pages with a similar example in each of the books would be a neat addition. I actually like the idea of turning Durak into a demon... or maybe an NPC Hero to save the day.

Bring back "Professor Preserver" from Champs 3-D!

Well' date=' [i']I[/i] get what you're saying, and I think that it's a good idea.

Not every GM uses the Champions Universe. Hell, imagine if there was little work to be done for inserting any character into other campaigns.

On the other hand, that may take some work to "genericize" backgrounds; perhaps there could be a section in the book about how to adapt supervillains to other campaigns.

CKC did have a section similar to this as it would apply to alternate genres.

Thanks for getting what I meant. Though it doesn't look likely from Steve's comments down thread. But then it isn't a must have either. What I am really looking forward to is having a large pool of supers that can be used as build examples, as well as conversion examples.

I've been tailoring villains for use in my games for years so I guess I can continue to do so....

Could probably nab a template from the Bestiary and graft it to Durak. Turn Ogre into an Oni.

Could probably nab a template from the Bestiary and graft it to Durak. Turn Ogre into an Oni.

Now you're just being mean to your players......

jots down idea for later use

Now I feel plain stupid. Playing Champions 5E for nearly eight years, and it never occurred to me to modify published Champs heroes or villains using the templates from the Bestiary. :o Thank you for that insight, casualplayer.

When I posted my campaign background for the CU's "Valley of Night," I described almost every one of my dozen or so suggested original NPCs and creatures in terms of tweaking the sheets for published characters.

How about creating Teenage Villians for Teen Champions?

At least give my Teen heroes some enemies their own age and speed.

Heck, Brainchild (from CKC) would be perfect - his background says he always had his psychic powers. Just chop off a point of SPD, reduce his gadgets some - especially his 'disintegrator pistol' - and there you go: the nerd president of the debate society, the chess club, and the electronics club. It's just a bit weird how he can somehow talk the hot cheerleaders into dating him...

I don't have the space to add a bunch of teen villains -- if we ever get a chance to rework Teen Champions for 6E I'll do so in that book. But in the meantime, I think several posters have it right; it's easy to de-power an existing villain down to appropriate "teen" levels. Brainchild, as mentioned, is a good candidate; so is Hummingbird, who was young in CKC (though she's now a few years older ;) ). I can think of a bunch more who become teen villains if you take away a point or two of SPD (and reduce other Characteristics as appropriate), whittle their powers down to just 1-4 core abilities, and so on.

And now... back to Characteristic block editing! :hex:

I don't have the space to add a bunch of teen villains -- if we ever get a chance to rework Teen Champions for 6E I'll do so in that book. But in the meantime' date=' I think several posters have it right; it's easy to de-power an existing villain down to appropriate "teen" levels. Brainchild, as mentioned, is a good candidate; so is Hummingbird, who was young in CKC (though she's now a few years older ;) ). I can think of a bunch more who become teen villains if you take away a point or two of SPD (and reduce other Characteristics as appropriate), whittle their powers down to just 1-4 core abilities, and so on.[/quote']All of which sounds like a good point to cover in the books' Introductions, and probably several individual villains' Campaign Use sections. (But then, you probably figured that much out already.) ;)

Just to be 100% clear, I'm asking about a section in the Villain books that explains how to kit-bash with Hero. I'm not asking for a specific re-working of Durak or for a new villain to be added to the Villain collections.

There's a two page (one piece of paper, front and back) section in CKC that gives two examples for CKC: one turns Anubis into a Chinese sorcerer-godling, and the other cobbles together an Asian archery based super-villain from Warpath's character sheet. It's pretty minimal but if you were unclear on this sort kit-bashing it does give you some ideas how to go about it.

That's what I'm suggesting.

Well' date=' you can also use the various Ultimate books, the new Hero System Powers and the Martial Arts book to graft new abilities onto a stock writeup. Or change the stock writeup's sfx in order to graft a new power or set of abilities on.[/quote']

My personal opinion is that every book of writeups should have at least a blurb pointing out the extreme flexibility of any given HERO system writeup.

It's somewhat about selling the idea, but I believe that it also would be about demonstration and reinforcement of the idea that no writeup is written in stone since HERO lets you peak behind the curtain and make your own arrangements to your tastes - it's not an army rations kit, it's a five-star kitchen!

Ok So, Not necessarily for this book but something to keep kicking around maybe for later, How about Older Villians who have gone on and left some of their power sources behind. after 70 + years there could be all sorts of artifact goodies just waiting to be grafted onto hapless NPC's who have a longer history than their latest weilders... who might even be up to throwing some new spins onto the old gadgets....