Lucha Libre?

General Markov

Re: Lucha Libre?

I'm not a fan of wrestling myself' date=' but the camp factor can be appealing to non-wrestling fans. Maybe you could talk your guys into a one-shot, pull out the stops with supernatural weirdness, and see if they'd be up for making it a two-shot...[/quote']

That is a good idea. I second it! I've found that a large majority of players are more interested in chasing werewolves, Aztec mummies or space aliens than in the kayfabe and/or actual in-ring wrestling performances. I played LLH with two guys last year who didn't even know how wrestling "worked", what a pinfall was, and who had never seen a lucha film. It still worked. Maybe not my best GM performance, but we played it and it was worth it.

One of the best comments from a player that I got after the session was, "I had no idea what intricate plots were possible with this game. I thought it was all about wrestling." So, the lucha genre and LLH can really surprise people.

That kind of thing does work, and I have had wrestlers, especially luchadores, involved in standard HERO and even Champions games, but it's not quite the same. I mean, honestly, what gamer worth his dice doesn't get jazzed up about a game that involves battling werewolves, mummies, mad scientists, and evil aliens from outer space in a mask and spandex? ;)

That is a good idea. I second it! I've found that a large majority of players are more interested in chasing werewolves, Aztec mummies or space aliens than in the kayfabe and/or actual in-ring wrestling performances. I played LLH with two guys last year who didn't even know how wrestling "worked", what a pinfall was, and who had never seen a lucha film. It still worked. Maybe not my best GM performance, but we played it and it was worth it.

One of the best comments from a player that I got after the session was, "I had no idea what intricate plots were possible with this game. I thought it was all about wrestling." So, the lucha genre and LLH can really surprise people.

or the players can be martial arts compettitors who end up with a helpful sideline

• 4 weeks later...

For a while now I've been mentioning Lucha Libre Hero to my group and describing elements of films such as Los Campeones Justicieros. It seems to be working. I'm not sure whether it was the beauty pageant contestants or the super-strong wrestling midgets which finally tipped the balance, but they're more excited about playing LLH than any other Hero setting :D As it's been years since I ran a session I'm planning to spend Monday evening playing out a bit of combat with one of the players before embarking on a full adventure.

Something I noticed straight away is how well Hero is suited to a setting where nuances of fighting style really matter. A little while ago I played in a Savage Worlds: Necessary Evil campaign, playing a super-intelligent orangutan called Clancy (who sounds rather more impressive after donning his armoured battlesuit and transforming into Orangutank) and was immediately struck with the problem of how to make the fact that he's an ape work in that game. Not easy. Prehensile feet, for instance, are hard to model and that limited his fighting style; not the case in Hero. I'm now building Clancy as a luchador, following the same gag that nobody realised that it was an ape in the power armour and taking it further: nobody will know that the bare-chested ginger luchador is an ape... because he's wearing a mask! If web-based translation tools haven't let me down he'll be going by the name of El Melenudo - "The Hairy One."

There's every chance that the sessions will be recorded for RPGMP3.com and naturally I'll post a link if that happens.

There's every chance that the sessions will be recorded for RPGMP3.com and naturally I'll post a link if that happens.

Oh yes, buddy! Please do that when you have the recordings.

*Orangutank* is a great pun, I love it when someone pulls that off. Thanks for the story.

Oh yes, buddy! Please do that when you have the recordings.

*Orangutank* is a great pun, I love it when someone pulls that off. Thanks for the story.

Orangotank shows up in the game Feng Shui. Along with Chimpanzer, Furious George, and Battlechimp Potempkin.

Orangotank shows up int he game Feng Shui. Along with Chimpanzer' date=' Furious George, and Battlechimp Potempkin.[/quote']

Oh, I didn't know that. I heard good things about Feng Shui, though. I saw it once when somebody brought it to a convention. I didn't get to see the part with the apes, though.

Orangutank is still the best pun of the lot above.

Actually, I noticed how sometimes, two books or two comic series use the same pun, the same gimmicky idea, or at least a very similar one. No problem, as long as it's not a registered trademark.

Orangotank shows up int he game Feng Shui. Along with Chimpanzer' date=' Furious George, and Battlechimp Potempkin.[/quote']

Wasn't aware of that (played Feng Shui once but I've never read it) but to be honest I'd have been very, very surprised if it was a fresh pun. Far too obvious. On the other hand, my Traveller alien film director known as La Nouvelle Vargr is perhaps a pun obscure enough to be original :D

• 3 months later...

I would buy this book. I would play this game. I would have the artists' and writers' babies. :D

The Justice Luchadores of America (March, 1998)

Story: Chris Sims

Art: Rusty Shackles

The union of the Robot and the Aztec Mummy has finally done the impossible -- they've defeated the Justice League of America! But while the World's Greatest Heroes may have been defeated, the World's Greatest Technicos have not yet begun to fight! Thanks to the transformative powers of the mystical Santo Stone, the Justice League has been reborn with all new identities to counter this terrifying threat, so make way for the new team! Ultimo Hijo De Krypton! Oscuro Caballero! Señor Marciano! El Rápido, Jr.! La Fuerte Feminino! Espacio Policia III! And of course, Aquaman!

But will their combined power be enough to stop that threat and keep the sinister El El and his Injustice Rudos from using the power of the Blue Demon for their own gain? The next epic starts here!

gctnh15shrink.jpg

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/09/30/jla-justice-luchadores[url=http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/09/30/jla-justice-luchadores/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook][/url]

I think I'm totally going to write this up. I don't think I'll keep quite the same plot- rather, I'd probably have it take place on Earth-L, the parallel world where everybody's a luchador instead of a superhero. Otherwise, the adventure becomes about changing the universe back, and I think everybody can agree that Earth-L is in fact far superior to the regular DC universe.

So who's in the Liga Injusticiero? Luthor, obviously, and El Payaso (Joker), Grodd, Cheetah. Manta Negra so Aquaman has something to do. What GL or Manhunter villains are easily or interestingly luchafied? dw

Let's see... the classic Legion of Doom consisted of:

Bizarro (?)

Black Manta (Manta Negra)

Brainiac (?)

Captain Cold (Capitan Cold)

Cheetah (Guepardo)

Giganta (Gigantesca?)

Grodd

Luthor (El El)

the Riddler (???)

Scarecrow (Espantapájaros)

Sinestro (Siniestro -- that one's easy).

Solomon Grundy (???)

Toyman (Hombre del Juguete?)

I would buy this book. I would play this game. I would have the artists' and writers' babies. :D

gctnh15shrink.jpg

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/09/30/jla-justice-luchadores[url=http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/09/30/jla-justice-luchadores/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook][/url]

consider that pic saved

gctnh15shrink.jpg

el hombredel aqua

Great, isn't it?

I have seen this before on Facebook. I love the cover, and of course I totally love the idea.

I would also buy a DC Heroes lucha book, any lucha book whatsoever, if it existed. I'd even learn Spanish really fast to understand actual lucha comics.

But anyway, this cover blows me away. Look at that mask on Wonder Woman. *LOVE* :)

Great, isn't it?

I have seen this before on Facebook. I love the cover, and of course I totally love the idea.

I would also buy a DC Heroes lucha book, any lucha book whatsoever, if it existed. I'd even learn Spanish really fast to understand actual lucha comics.

But anyway, this cover blows me away. Look at that mask on Wonder Woman. *LOVE* :)

El Santo has had a comic in Mexico since the 1950s. dw

El Santo has had a comic in Mexico since the 1950s. dw

Thank you.

It'll be tough to catch up on 50+ years' worth of comicbook issues from Mexico. I can do some research to find out whether or not the Santo book is still being continued, and maybe get some of the more recent issues from eBay sometime soon.

If they are anything like the Santo films, I can't go wrong with them.

I was a little disappointed by Rob Zombie's El Superbeasto, I have to admit, so I'd much rather stick to the Mexican originals.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you.

It'll be tough to catch up on 50+ years' worth of comicbook issues from Mexico. I can do some research to find out whether or not the Santo book is still being continued, and maybe get some of the more recent issues from eBay sometime soon.

If they are anything like the Santo films, I can't go wrong with them.

I was a little disappointed by Rob Zombie's El Superbeasto, I have to admit, so I'd much rather stick to the Mexican originals.

If you can find it El Sonombulo is sparkly epic win....Strongman is awesome as well....

• 2 weeks later...

If you can find it El Sonombulo is sparkly epic win....Strongman is awesome as well....

In the latest previews, they've announced a second volume of 'Strongman' (which is awesome). But yeah, El Sonambulo really is the creme de la creme.

As for GL and Martian Manhunter villains, well Sinestro's not even going to need a name change, and Martian Manhunter has always tried to defend earth from the White Martians... So Blonde Martians a la 'Santo Contre Los Marcianos' it is!