Create a Villain Theme Team!

BoloOfEarth

Re: Create a Villain Theme Team!

(This idea shamelessly stolen from a cable movie, Disaster In Time.)

The most callous of the Time Masters calls herself Cassandra, but she is known by many as Disaster Groupie. She is definitely from centuries in our future, though she hesitates to give a more exact number. She was part of a time-travelling tour of various historic disasters (the Great Fire of Chicago, the San Francisco Earthquake, the Hindenburg explosion, Mt. St. Helens eruption, etc.) when she was separated from her group in New York City on 9/11. She now works with the Time Masters, apparently as a lark, while she waits for some unspecified major disaster to occur. She won't give any details of the disaster, nor any other upcoming minor or major disaster for that matter, though she apparently has at least decent information about historic disasters both past and future. (From her point of view, everybody in the present time is dead in her own time, so what does it matter specifically how or when they die?).

Thanks to genetic manipulation in the future, Disaster Groupie is not only perfectly healthy and a classic beauty, she also possesses minor psionic and telekinetic abilities. She also has various future-tech devices (interwoven into her clothing, which was provided by the tour company) that provide life support and protect her from most damage.

Disaster Groupie still has her tour passport, which appears to be a normal US passport but is actually a one-person time machine. (The tour group leader had a stamp that could specify a location and date/time, which the passport would read and transport the bearer to that place/time.) Anyone looking at the passport would be surprised to see stamps for Chicago, IL (8 October 1871); San Francisco, CA (18 April 1906); Lakehurst, NJ (6 May 1937); Spirit Lake, WA (18 May 1980); and New York City, NY (11 September 2001).

I think Mathew was wanting to propose a new theme team, not add them to the Time Masters. Once we're done with the Time Masters, we could go on to create the members of the Gold Bandits.

Mathew, the new team is proposed by whomever creates the last member of the current team. So, once three more characters are created for the Time Masters, they're done and we can go on to the next team.

Sorry, I didn't read all the interviening posts, just the first few.

Sorry' date=' I didn't read all the interviening posts, just the first few.[/quote']

No big deal, just letting you know. If I post the last Time Master, I'll throw your theme out there for people to run with.

Edit: Or you can name the last two members of the Time Masters, then put the Gold Bandits up. I already have one Gold Bandit in mind. :)

and as we are into villains out of time' date=' I wonder where Imperturbable and Flux fit into that. A definite time would be great (could be as specific as say... 100 million years in the future?).[/quote']

I intentionally left Imperturbable's origin vague. I enjoy that sort of GM plot hook. If anyone were to actually run this villains out of time group, I'm sure that person would make a definite decision.

I intentionally left Imperturbable's origin vague. I enjoy that sort of GM plot hook. If anyone were to actually run this villains out of time group' date=' I'm sure that person would make a definite decision.[/quote']

Ditto on my end as well. And if either villain is from a future timeline, who's to say which future might actually happen?

I'm fine with that explanation. It's just that I had a wole different approach in my head. Sorry for that.

The characters you both suggested are really cool, especially Flux, who is even a bit frightening.

Okay, I'll take a stab at the mysterious mastermind behind the Time Masters.

Nobody knows from which era The Historian originated. People say that, logically, he must be from the future, to have both a time machine (which nobody but his teammates have ever seen) and the knowledge necessary to select his team from such diverse times. But his clothing, speech, and mannerisms seem to place him from 19th century England. He refuses to reveal his past, though he admits to being "a gentleman, a scholar, and a scientist, in that precise order." He has a dry but wry sense of humor, and a very strong attachment to all members of his team. He takes pride in having saved several of them from certain death, and insists, despite the obvious crimes the Time Masters commit, that they are "serving a vital purpose in this period of history."

The Historian has *never* taken a direct role in combat (though he has provided some important and timely advice to teammates during several fights), so the bulk of his powers are a mystery. He has an apparent precognitive ability (judging by his ability to dodge or avoid all attacks to date), and claims an extensive knowledge of aikido that he has yet to demonstrate. Some claim that his brass pocketwatch is his time machine, a claim at which he scoffs. "It is only a time machine in the fact that it is, indeed, a machine that tells the time. As to its travel through time, I will admit it does move forward, following the march of the ages at the same rate we all enjoy. Any other claim is purely preposterous."

the Orical

Aztec

The Imperturbable appears to be some sort of mammal/insect hybrid

Tiger Eye:

Flux

Chernobyl

Disaster Groupie

The Historian

Will-O-the Wisp can take on any animal shape animal

but his super form is a small dancing flame

which on contact teleports a target to a small universe

of Will-O-Wisp's own design

He collects history to fill out his own worlds

Will-o-wisp also provides small universes for the other team members to live in.

Mr. Science is the scientist of the team. He has developed his own means of time travel and mastered many branches of physics in the future. He built an arsenal around his method of time travel which involves physical projection across time. This leads to things like duplication, desolidification, and teleportation.

I believe that is ten and I will leave the table open for the gold bandits.

CES

@Mathew: How do the Gold Bandits fit into the Time Masters theme?

and as we are into villains out of time, I wonder where Imperturbable and Flux fit into that. A definite time would be great (could be as specific as say... 100 million years in the future?).

Well, to be honest I did put past or future, and did kind of hope there would be characters like those 1 or 2 that were like that. Whether it be future alien or some past pre-human species.

(This idea shamelessly stolen from a cable movie, Disaster In Time.)

The most callous of the Time Masters calls herself Cassandra, but she is known by many as Disaster Groupie. She is definitely from centuries in our future, though she hesitates to give a more exact number. She was part of a time-travelling tour of various historic disasters (the Great Fire of Chicago, the San Francisco Earthquake, the Hindenburg explosion, Mt. St. Helens eruption, etc.) when she was separated from her group in New York City on 9/11. She now works with the Time Masters, apparently as a lark, while she waits for some unspecified major disaster to occur. She won't give any details of the disaster, nor any other upcoming minor or major disaster for that matter, though she apparently has at least decent information about historic disasters both past and future. (From her point of view, everybody in the present time is dead in her own time, so what does it matter specifically how or when they die?).

Thanks to genetic manipulation in the future, Disaster Groupie is not only perfectly healthy and a classic beauty, she also possesses minor psionic and telekinetic abilities. She also has various future-tech devices (interwoven into her clothing, which was provided by the tour company) that provide life support and protect her from most damage.

Disaster Groupie still has her tour passport, which appears to be a normal US passport but is actually a one-person time machine. (The tour group leader had a stamp that could specify a location and date/time, which the passport would read and transport the bearer to that place/time.) Anyone looking at the passport would be surprised to see stamps for Chicago, IL (8 October 1871); San Francisco, CA (18 April 1906); Lakehurst, NJ (6 May 1937); Spirit Lake, WA (18 May 1980); and New York City, NY (11 September 2001).

From reading, that premise seems familiar. By any chance did the lady from JAG (Catherine Bell, I believe) star in it?

From reading' date=' that premise seems familiar. By any chance did the lady from JAG (Catherine Bell, I believe) star in it?[/quote']

She doesn't show up in the actors listing. The movie was known alternately as Timescape, Grand Tour - Disaster in Time, as well as just Disaster in Time. Starred Jeff Daniels and a bunch of (at least IMO) much-lesser-known actors and actresses. He plays a guy refurbishing an inn outside a small town, and a tour group shows up insisting on staying there rather than at the inn in town. He figures out what's so odd about the tour group just before a meteorite strikes the town. And then when they *don't* leave, he realizes that something else bad is going to happen.

Overall, I enjoyed it. And I thought the concept of the "passport" being the tourist's time machine was pretty unique. The tourists didn't have special powers or protective gear in the movie; that was my addition.

I always wanted a super villian team who attempted to steal a machine from a mad scientist that was supposed to turn lead into gold. The machine blows up and turns the villians into gold. One is a brick' date=' one a speedster, one is stretchy, one has electricity generation. Sadly they can't make any money off their being gold as any part of their body seperates (like hair, fingernails, etc) turns right back into normal if removed from the main body. So now they do robberies as the [b']Gold Bandits[/b].

We're gonna go with 6 members, so people have a few options beyond those listed above (of which I'm taking two).

The brick of the Gold Bandits was once known as Blockhead, but after he was transformed by the scientist's machine he took the (fairly obvious) name Gold Brick. He was always considered slow, both physically and mentally, but he doesn't care. He just likes being able to throw heavy things around and smash stuff. Born and raised in Alabama, Gold Brick has a very strong Southern accent and will absolutely refuse to strike a woman, under any circumstances. ("Momma says boys don't hit girls.") Of the Gold Bandits, Gold Brick is the most likely to be redeemed with care and attention, as long as he can be separated from his teammates. Deep down, he's a good guy who happens to be part of a bad crowd.

The speedster of the team was once called White Lightning, but he's now known as Gold Exchange. He still gets his high-speed powers from drinking his own special brand of moonshine, though they last much longer since his gold transformation. (As White Lightning, he could only retain his powers for five minutes at a time. They now last about twenty.) He's also found that his "gold outer coating" helps increase the damage he causes with move-bys and move-throughs. His favorite trick, however, is to move faster than the eye can follow, stealing weapons and other foci from cops, agents, and heroes. Whenever possible, he likes to switch such foci with junk or garbage -- a water pistol, an empty beer bottle, a banana, and so on. (As you might guess, Gold Exchange is a bit of a prankster.)

Edit: I just realized that I missed the obvious name for the speedster: Gold Rush. So feel free to substitute that if you wish.

Originally called Rapunzel, she was initially thought of as the weak link in the party. Although she could stretch out, trip and entangle enemies with her hair, (not to mention provide a handy escape rope if needed) it was really more of an annoyance than anything else. Now calling herself Spun Gold, the metal now imbued in her hair gives her attacks much needed density and weight. In fact, she's now developing a way to use a few of her braids as deadly whips.

She's a notorious flirt, very attractive, very greedy and likes to lead men on -- especially Gold Brick (she has no romantic feelings for him or any of the men in the team).

BTW I love this thread. And though I'll be away for the weekend' date=' I'll be back with more characters.[/quote']

I'm rather enjoying this thread myself. Many of these teams are definitely going to appear in my Champions campaign world, and a few teams are going to get full writeups and cross swords (so to speak) with the PC heroes.

Enjoy the weekend, and I'll be looking forward to your characters.

Atalanta is an energy projector of sorts. A bookish nerd all her life, Cassie learned to run with the nastiest characters she could find. As long as she was with them, they weren't against her. Committing crimes makes her feel powerful. Better yet is the feeling of superiority she gains when she causes fear or embarrassment. Cassie's gold powers last slightly longer outside her body than the powers her teammates possess. By rubbing her hands together, she is able to form small balls of pure gold. Small balls of pure gold she then hurls at others. Given just a little time, she likes to shape her balls into little golden apples. Throwing golden apples at people and causing mayhem appeals to her nerdly obsession with Greek mythology.

There was a Gold Squad in an old Adventurers Club. They were thieves with a twist. They could get easily evade a normal but against a hero they were finished. The twist was that they were there to show people how excessive their own powers were. In the example the hero haymakered Goldmind and killed him. They then figured thy could us their 10D6 Ego Blast to safely take down one of the others except that this bunch took body from ego attacks.

I was wondering if anyone thought of doing the same with this bunch.

There was a Gold Squad in an old Adventurers Club. They were thieves with a twist. They could get easily evade a normal but against a hero they were finished. The twist was that they were there to show people how excessive their own powers were. In the example the hero haymakered Goldmind and killed him. They then figured thy could us their 10D6 Ego Blast to safely take down one of the others except that this bunch took body from ego attacks.
They were called the Gilt Complex. In addition to Goldmind (the mentalist), there was also Goldbrick (a brick) and Goldrush (a speedster). I thought it was a pity Hero Games couldn't have retained them as their IP; they were an interesting twist (and a twisted bit of interest) for a game, and a decent plot possibility for Teleios.

GOLDBUG (Gold Bandits; 5 of 6)

Palmetto Bug -- an insect-controlling "shake-down" artist named Jim Bugge -- joined the Gold Bandits less than a month before the fateful robbery transformed them all. He was then and is still the most unpopular member of the team; vulgar and obnoxious, he has unpleasant personal habits and rather too much in common with his "little friends" where diet and preferred habitat are concerned.

During the transformation, Bugge lost all his body hair -- even down to nostril- and ear-hairs -- and his skin became flexible but stiff golden chitin, making him very tough physically. Despite the loss of sensory hairs, Bugge's senses of smell and hearing became incredibly acute, though what he thought of as "hearing" was actually a new ability to detect and interpret vibrations.

And Jim Bugge's insect-controlling power also underwent a transformation.

As Palmetto Bug, Bugge had been able to control only those insects within the range of his senses. However, after the "gold-change", Bugge found that he could call insects to him from far outside the range of his senses, and in apparently unlimited numbers -- but only insects of the Family Blattaria; cockroaches. Bugge's ability to share the perceptions of "his" cockroaches had also been greatly expanded, allowing him to use the cockroaches as small spies; "bugs" of the non-electronic kind.

Apparently delighted with this trade-off of powers, Bugge took a new villainous sobriquet: Goldbug

On the Gold Bandits team, Goldbug performs reconnaissance (via his "little friends"); in combat he can entangle/immobilise opponents, damage structures/equipment and make monstrous PRE Attacks (again, all via his "little friends" -- in swarms). Goldbug is an extremely antisocial personality; he really gets a kick out of making someone scream in horror as cockroaches to crawl all over them, and he also likes beating up those "distracted" opponents as the group's demi-Brick.

But despite these shows of aggression, Bugge is a coward, unwilling to attack anyone not already engaged by his "little friends"...the cockroaches.

In his spare time, Goldbug still practices his special brand of extortion, as both a nasty hobby and a source of extra revenue: "Pay up or my little friends here will find a new home in your home...or maybe just in you!" Goldbug also lusts after team-mate Spun Gold, constantly making unwelcome advances to her and showering her with crude compliments and come-ons, to her disgust.

Unfortunately for Bugge, Spun Gold isn't particularly scared of cockroaches.

Phi was a martial artist before his transformation and he's a martial artist today. That aside, he's a wholly changed man. While he once practiced unarmed, circle-style martial arts and sought always to find an indirect, "soft" solution to any problem that came before him, now . . . well, he's different. Phi is obsessed with the Golden Ratio in all its forms (the Golden Mean, Golden Section, Golden Proportion, Golden Cut, etc.) Now employing a heavy sword, Phi approaches problems and opponents as opportunities to find that perfect cut. In combat he will often fight defensively while he takes in the measure of the opposition, then step forward and with a single aesthetically perfect slash solve the equation.

From time to time, Phi comes across a piece of architecture, a person's body, a piece of music, or something out of nature that appears ruled by the Golden Ratio. He steadfastly refuses to mar that perfection regardless of the consequences.

I believe that is six. I'll start one more team and then try to stay out of the team-starting business for a while.

The Chemists are a group of five super-thieves known for their extraordinary planning and measured execution. They practice carefully and take every safety precaution they can think of. Once one of their plans is in action, though, things can get noisy, or messy, or explody... Each member of the Chemists specializes in a different sort of chemical, chemical interaction, or theory of chemistry.

The Acid Queen has always been partial to how various acids can be used in eliminating what she considers pesky problems ("You know, the stomach acid of a crocodile can dissolve iron hooks.") She's been experimenting with the speed and effectiveness of how her acids dissolve matter (metal, wood, flesh, bone, etc...). Her suit protects herself from any potential acid backsplash and poisonous fumes. She's a bit of a sociopath, with an unhealthy obsession of the case of John George Haigh .