Create a Villain Theme Team!

BoloOfEarth

Re: Create a Villain Theme Team!

The Biochemist. A madman who specializes in biochemistry. He has found a way to make chimeras. Which aids in the groups conquest or acts as guards for the base. He is also crazy enough to have experimented on himself. To the point to which he can now shapeshift into many kinds of chimeras himself, at will. The only living things he seems to like (or even notice in many cases for that matter) are his "creations". Of which is quite kind to (and will become enraged if one is hurt/killed).

Caveat: I am not a chemist (nor do I play one on TV), so the following is all pseudo-scientific technobabble with no basis at all in actual science. It's a good thing this is for a superhero game, which often shares that same trait. :)

The super-theif known as Antibond is a savant with an innate understanding of molecular orbitals and the mutant ability to exude certain chemical agents that interact with other materials and create repulsive antibonding orbitals able to destabilize molecules. This destabilization usually takes the form of weakening objects or structures (Drains against PD, ED, resistant defenses, BODY, STUN, etc.), though the correct combination can actually cause the target's molecules (or Antibond's molecules, if he targets himself) to go completely out of phase with other molecules in the universe. (In other words, Desolidification, usable as attack.) This final ability only lasts for a short time (a Turn at most), but it can have an interesting effect on combat.

Gasmask wears a business suit and (eponymous) gas mask, looking somewhat like the Golden Age Sandman. He specializes in things that can be done with various gases, most but not all of which are done with grenades: knockout grenades, smoke grenades, inhaled mind-altering drugs, reagents for finding fingerprints and other traces, and so forth.

They were called the Gilt Complex. In addition to Goldmind (the mentalist)' date=' there was also Goldbrick (a brick) and Goldrush (a speedster). I thought it was a pity Hero Games couldn't have retained them as their IP; they were an interesting twist (and a twisted bit of interest) for a game, and a decent plot possibility for Teleios.[/quote']

Funny thing is, I had never heard of the Gilt Complex when I posted the characters Gold Brick and Gold Exchange / Gold Rush here. They *are* pretty obvious names for a gold-themed group, though.

The Elementalist is a man who can change a limited amount of one chemical element into another which would be his gateway to riches where it not for the fact that he can't change an elementv into one of the metals everyone uses like copper, platinum, silver or gold. So he hooked up with the others and takes out alarms and other security measures and also can turn CS Gas and smoke harmless for his colleagues.

New team. The Anti-Americans. This is a team dedicated to the overthrow of the America everyone knows, so that it could be remade the way it was supposed to be. They point out that America would be better if certain historical events had gone another way. They dress in period costume all prior to 1960. There are 5 known members but there could be another five in reserve. (We'll see how it goes).

The Man Called Joe looks like he could have been Dick Clark back when American Bandstand started, all clean cut with the perfect grin. He's polite, respectful to his elders and absolutely despises how "weak" he thinks America has become catering to foreigners, minorities, "sexual deviants and uppity women". Today's music and television is to blame for all this permissiveness! He's a crack shot with a rifle and can make a near-accurate 3D illusion of himself to set up any necessary alibi. Not that he would EVER need one --he's Joe. No one suspects him!

Even though, thinking about it, no one really knows him...

New team. The Anti-Americans. This is a team dedicated to the overthrow of the America everyone knows' date=' so that it could be remade the way it was supposed to be. They point out that America would be better if certain historical events had gone another way. They dress in period costume all prior to 1960. There are 5 known members but there could be another five in reserve. (We'll see how it goes).[/quote']

Minor quibble. They wouldn't call themselves Anti-Americans. (I could see them calling themselves the Real Americans, though.) However, the media might have the last word, so the Anti-Americans could still work.

I'll have to make my contribution later tonight.

The Nucular Family looks like something out of a 1950s TV show: the father (Burt Nucular) wears a suit and tie with hat and smokes a pipe; the mom (Carol) wears a dress with apron and her beehive bouffant hairdo is immaculate; big sister (Nancy) is also in a dress and has pigtails; and little brother (Junior) wears pants with a striped shirt and red baseball cap. (Note: count this enire group as one of the five.) They will act and talk like something out of a 1950s TV show, too. (Burt and Carol will never swear, for instance, but both have a pretty wicked glare if they witness "bad behavior.") Burt and Carol will decry the days when people "knew their places" and didn't "act divisive and help the Red Menace."

The Nuculars appear to be normal (if a bit anachronistic) humans, but anyone trying to push them around will soon discover they are far from normal. Each is deceptively strong (25 STR for the kids, 30 STR for mom, and 35 STR for dad), and incredibly resistant to damage. Each one can also emit radiation, slowly weakening anyone foolish enough to grab them (or get grabbed by them). Individually, their radiation isn't very bad, but together, it can be debilitating. Really, you don't want to be a target of their group hugs, and even if you keep them at range, Junior can be pretty accurate with that slingshot he keeps in his back pocket.

Minuteman A former Revolutionary War soldier. After serving under Washington, he was one of the last to leave, feeling a certain loyalty to the man for what they had been through. After the treaty he went back to his home to his farm. While hunting one day in the winter of 1788-89, he came across a cave. Being cold and it being near dark, he decided to stop there for the night. Unbeknownst to him, he never woke up. Some mysterious gas put him in suspended animation. By some unknown means, in the summer of 2008, during some construction at the site of his "tomb" he was "disturbed" out of his slumber.

Well you can imagine, that 222 years difference will put a culture shock. But, what disturbed even more was the fact that the country he had fought for from tyranny seemingly had thrown away everything they had fought to be, had been tarnished, desecrated, and twisted by the corrupt into their own image.

The next summer he found there are people who are just as angry about these things. So, he has decided to start this new group. Sure, it seems bleak, but so was that winter at Valley Forge. He is quite miffed by the media (though he still cant grasp this electronic media) at their attempts at labeling them insulting names as the Anti-Americans, and lying about their objectives.

He is an unworldly shot with his 18th century firearm. He disdains to use modern weaponry (though he has come to understand their uses, which is fine for his allies use). He has shown to be a surprisingly effective tactician, as he went on several missions behind enemy lines during the war, he learned the effects of "fighting like the Indians". Also, he seems to have some kind of healing factor, (and perhaps as time goes on he might not age) from that mysterious gas. He has been shot several times in the chest in the last few months only to see the wounds close.

Note: Thought, it might be wise to go with at least a few members whose intentions were benevolent but there means were flawed, under the circumstances.

Minor quibble. They wouldn't call themselves Anti-Americans. (I could see them calling themselves the Real Americans, though.) However, the media might have the last word, so the Anti-Americans could still work.

I'll have to make my contribution later tonight.

Good point. They would see themselves not as overthrowing the America "everyone knows". But, to destroy the "New" America and to restore the "Old" America, the nation that used to be great.

Minor quibble. They wouldn't call themselves Anti-Americans. (I could see them calling themselves the Real Americans' date=' though.) However, the media might have the last word, so the Anti-Americans could still work.[/quote']

Quibble noted. They would term themselves as Real Americans but they would be labeled as Anti by their opponents.

And it appears that Bolo has been reading some old DC specifically The Outsiders as I recognise the Nuclear Family.

Guilty as charged, at least as far as their name and general look, though it's been a few decades since seeing that issue of the Outsiders so I have no idea what DC's characters actually did. I don't remember if they emitted radiation or what exactly they did, though given the name I suspect radiation powers are likely. May have to look them up online to see whether I unintentionally copied them too closely.

The Prohibitionist - Daughter's daughter's daughter of a 1920's prohibition activist, who thinks drinking is the root of all evil. Her mother and grandmother were both killed by drunk drivers in seperate accidents. A mutant pyrokinetic, She can sense the presence of alchol in the body and ignite it! Anyone who has had a drink of booze, wine, beer, anything, in the last 24-48 hours can be caused to spontaniously combust when she shoots them with her flame blast! People who didn't drink take minimal damage from her attacks.

An old-style Southern gentleman who refuses to admit defeat even after 145 years, Southpaw feels that the US government is much too strong and needs to be cut back down to size. While he adamantly denies being racist, he is quick to point out anything negative involving anybody of African descent. Southpaw claims that he controls the left side of the brain; whether this is true or not, he does have the ability to completely control any human being's right side. He refuses to use this power on women, though this is only a self-imposed limit that he can ignore if he so desires. In his white suit, walking stick, and neatly trimmed beard and mustache, he looks a bit like a younger Colonel Sanders.

For a new team, let's have a change of pace. This one will be a hero team. With apologies to Studio Foglio and Airship Entertainment, we next present a six-member team dedicated to stopping crime and solving the world's problems with the (sometimes) careful application of SCIENCE! Yes, folks, let's hear it for the Tesla Rangers!

(Psst, Bolo, how many in the team?)

Arc Angel loooooooooves electricity. As a teenager, Amy Angelo kitbashed (or MacGyvered) her very own portable Van der Graaf generator. Unfortunately, a [bLEEP] of a cheerleader, jealous of the attention Amy was getting from the really cute science teacher's aide, sabotaged it, not caring about the danger to Amy (or to the school). However, the accident triggered a dormant metagene in Amy! Rather than killing her (or damaging anyone around her), she instead was able to absorb the electricity. After a few months, she figured out a way to control and safely disperse the lightning she emits.

Meanwhile, the really cute science teacher's aide made a few calls of his own and got Amy involved with the Tesla Rangers. Whatever his motivation is, she's not sure, but she hope it involves a date (or more) once she graduates college.

The Doctor is Tesla Rangers' brain. Funny thing: he's not all that smart. What he lacks in smarts, however, the good Doctor more than makes up for in connections.

For reasons unknown (and perhaps unknowable), the Doctor's brain is connected with every patent office in the world. Whenever a patent application is taken out, the Doctor becomes aware of the application. Whenever a patent is pending, the Doctor has a good understanding of the general outline of the creation or process. And whenever a patent is granted, the Doctor instantly knows everything there is to know about that creation or process.

As the good Doctor likes to say, "I am not an intellectual giant. I stand on the brains of giants."

I thought about creating a different thread, but really, I don't see a lot of people wanting a lot of different hero teams. So I just thought I'd throw this one in as a one-shot, not a permanent change. Perhaps I should have been clearer. After them, we'll go back to villain groups. Besides, a team of potential mad scientists could be a whole different challenge for heroes to deal with.

"Oh, relax! The chances of this device overloading and disintegrating everything in a 214-meter radius are, at best, 4.8%!"

The Nerd-mild mannered social pariah. Can barely talk to girls, but carries around a hand bag (it was a gift from his mother) full of a variety of gadgets and gizmoes (in other words a VPP). His personal favorite is his pocket protector force field generator. No super-villain or cute girl is going to get too close to this hero.

The speedster of the Tesla Rangers is Quarterflash, an MIT-educated scientist/engineer who got his powers when one of his experiments overloaded and exploded. An avid comic-book fan, he calculates that he is 26.4% as fast as DC Comics' The Flash (plus or minus 2.3%), so he took the name Quarterflash to represent this. While he doesn't build gadgets himself, he can quickly disassemble and rebuild others' devices to serve similar or additional functions. (IOW, he has no VPP himself, but rather a limited Transform, usable only on technology, requires skill rolls.) He loves to see how things "tick" and will often be found taking devices apart. (He has voided more warranties on equipment in the Tesla Rangers base than all the other team members combined.)

Unlike many speedsters, Quarterflash doesn't like mixing it up in hand-to-hand combat, preferring to use his "Bumblebee Gun" -- a small energy weapon modified from a stolen ARGENT design. It doesn't pack much of a punch, but a little bit gets through most defenses, it recharges quickly, and it can fire as quickly as QF can pull the trigger. (Blast 2d6, Penetrating 2x, Autofire[5], 0 END.)

Unbeknownst to the other Tesla Rangers, Quarterflash is actually an undercover operative for ARGENT. The overload that gave him his powers happened when a hero team attacked an ARGENT lab. Quarterflash's primary mission is to find a way to duplicate The Doctor's mysterious connection to new technology, though he also supplies the criminal organization with schematics of The Nerd's gadgets or any other bleeding-edge technology the Rangers come across.

Archimedes is the brick of the Tesla Rangers, specializing in what he calls "applied physics". The original Archimedes once said "Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand and I can move the world." His namesake takes that motto to heart, finding the points of weakness of a target or an opponent before moving in. While he admits to an uncouth joy when it comes to standard brawling, he's also highly trained in Aikido (using an opponent's momentum against him).

Clarke is the "go-between" to the Tesla Rangers, their financial backers and the govt./authorities. He also just happens to be the "really cute science teacher's aide" who was around when Arc Angel got her powers. He professes that he has a "dabbling" in all the various sciences: chemistry, physics, biology, etc. and can pull off enough credible experiments to prove that he's not just talking out of his butt -- even when it looks like they shouldn't work. He usually stays out of action, working more behind the scenes if at all possible.

Clarke's no scientist. He's an immortal sorcerer. He's also the only financial backer of the Rangers, but hides it well under dummy names. He's spent centuries perfecting keeping his anonymity secret. Clarke is fascinated by technology, seeing it as a form of magic unto itself. Most magic users despise science, seeing it as a threat. Clarke covertly founded the Tesla Rangers as a way for humanity to prove what they can do with their minds. He's trying to keep Arc Angel at arm's length due to both protecting his secret and not wanting to hurt her. What experiments he pulls off are usually done with a little bit of magic assisting things. His alias is a homage to Clarke's Third Law.

New team! Back to Villains...

Number: 6

Name: The Network

Theme/Motive: Yellow Journalism. These folks make Fox News/MSNBC look objective. Their biases are for sale to the highest bidder -- and they'll even sell out the highest bidder once the check clears. They will blackmail, sabotage, promote conflict and destroy lives -- all for the sake of The Story.

New team! Back to Villains...

Number: 6

Name: The Network

Theme/Motive: Yellow Journalism. These folks make Fox News/MSNBC look objective. Their biases are for sale to the highest bidder -- and they'll even sell out the highest bidder once the check clears. They will blackmail, sabotage, promote conflict and destroy lives -- all for the sake of The Story.

Though he often dresses a lot like a homeless person, Rags is actually a wealthy information broker extraordinaire. A very gregarious person, he fosters contacts among practically everyone he meets -- waiters and waitresses, executives, secretaries, and so on -- even bums and prostitutes he's seen on the streets. And for some reason, these people are awfully free with telling Rags things. More often than not, they don't share their own secrets, but rather the secrets of others. While nobody has been able to detect any psionic influence, it's assumed that Rags has some sort of mind control power to encourage such information sharing.

I give you Money Shot, master cameraman. He can often be seen with an obvious television camera with built-in microphone, though he's also a master at hiding cameras in unobtrusive places. He already has a career as an unapologetic blackmailer, and sees his membership with the Network as a way to make even more money.