Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

RexMundi

have to say, I wasn't to thrilled at first with a lot of the initial casting. Not sure why, I suppose I was just visualizing things a touch differently, and it seemed they were trying to toss in to much Xena into my REH.....

However, with the recent passing of Frazetta, and going over a lot of the great Art the man produced, I couldn't help but notice when the pics of Jason Momoa started to come out as Conan, (And I defended his casting as Conan to more then a few people telling them to wait and see...)...

I have to say....Dude looks like he stepped off a Frazetta Painting.....which works for me.

can5.jpgcan6j_lightened.jpg

So far really the best thing the nit pickers can Pick about Conan the Momoan, is the lack of Scars, and the lack of Body Hair (Modern conventions, heh....body hair BAD eww Hairy Chest go AWAY Steve Reeves!....of course Arnold got a pass on that as well)......hmm...other Nits are the "leaked Photos" are all posted Cell Phone shots and we're a bit away from any real pictures yet....

Still, as a start, this looks like it is going off on the RIGHT foot so to speak. The weapons are real and functional, not Atlantean wall hangers, the actor has the intensity, most of the look, and certainly the physicality.....

Could turn out to be a good fun flick.....and certainly even from those pictures, provide enough fodder for an example of Pulp/Fantasy ......Provided we get the movie to lean more to the REH pulp roots and less to the modern Mushy High Fantasy trappings that seem to infest most "fantasy" flicks and novels.

~Rex

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest steamteck

Re: Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

I'm intrigued. Now if they'd actually adapt some REH's actual work to the screen with respect, that would be awesome

Apparently that's the Idea with this flick. It's supposed to be along the lines of the REH work. Not a "re-imagining".....

Which of course is why you have the nit pickers (like my self) up in arms about trival things like scars and hair but I'll get over THAT part, if the rest of the movie is a Cimmerian Kicking Ass and Taking Names....

~Rex

REH was a stickler for Detail. Right up to 3 months before his death he was writing official heights and weights for Conan at the age of 15, heh.....from Rouges in the House you get: "... a tall man, mightily shouldered and deep of chest, with a massive corded neck and heavily muscled limbs. He was clad in silk and velvet, with the royal lions of Aquilonia worked in gold upon his rich jupon, and the crown of Aquilonia shone on his square-cut black mane; but the great sword at his side seemed more natural to him than the regal accoutrements. His brow was low and broad, his eyes a volcanic blue that smoldered as if with some inner fire. His dark, scarred, almost sinister face was that of a fighting-man, and his velvet garments could not conceal the hard, dangerous lines of his limbs."......

And that's just one of the short Snipets. Cimmerians were REAL men. They had Hair on their Arms, legs, and chests (REH described Conan as hairy chested as well), heh, and Conan in particular, Bronzed skin from constant exposure to the sun, smoldering blue eyes and square cut mane of black hair....REH was Exceptionally descriptive in his writing. Besides, especially in Howards day, you weren't a MAN, if you didn't have hair on your chest. Conan also wore whatever the clothes of the area he was In for the most part, and LOT'S of Armor as well. Comics for the most part is where the Loincloth and only loin cloth came from....

~Rex

REH was a stickler for Detail. Right up to 3 months before his death he was writing official heights and weights for Conan at the age of 15' date=' heh.....from Rouges in the House you get: [b']"... a tall man, mightily shouldered and deep of chest, with a massive corded neck and heavily muscled limbs. He was clad in silk and velvet, with the royal lions of Aquilonia worked in gold upon his rich jupon, and the crown of Aquilonia shone on his square-cut black mane; but the great sword at his side seemed more natural to him than the regal accoutrements. His brow was low and broad, his eyes a volcanic blue that smoldered as if with some inner fire. His dark, scarred, almost sinister face was that of a fighting-man, and his velvet garments could not conceal the hard, dangerous lines of his limbs."[/b]......

And that's just one of the short Snipets. Cimmerians were REAL men. They had Hair on their Arms, legs, and chests (REH described Conan as hairy chested as well), heh, and Conan in particular, Bronzed skin from constant exposure to the sun, smoldering blue eyes and square cut mane of black hair....REH was Exceptionally descriptive in his writing. Besides, especially in Howards day, you weren't a MAN, if you didn't have hair on your chest. Conan also wore whatever the clothes of the area he was In for the most part, and LOT'S of Armor as well. Comics for the most part is where the Loincloth and only loin cloth came from....

~Rex

Many writers today could take lessons from REH. He could be very detailed in his discriptions and yet still didn't need three books to tell a story.

REH could tell more Story in a Novella then (not to speak Ill of the recently departed but since he IS a Conan Novel Alum) what Robert Jordan (R.I.P.) could tell in 11, 500 plus page books. That level of inflection and skill, is very rare nowadays, and becoming more rare by the year.

~Rex

Well, I stand corrected. . . Momoa totally looks the part as Conan. Maybe this movie won't suck after all, especially if they're really doing REH's work this time.

(Now me, I totally want to see a good, faithful adaptation of "Hour of the Dragon" on the screen)

Well, I stand corrected. . . Momoa totally looks the part as Conan. Maybe this movie won't suck after all, especially if they're really doing REH's work this time.

(Now me, I totally want to see a good, faithful adaptation of "Hour of the Dragon" on the screen)

Red Nails... or Beyond the Black River (my favorite Conan story.)

REH could tell more Story in a Novella then (not to speak Ill of the recently departed but since he IS a Conan Novel Alum) what Robert Jordan (R.I.P.) could tell in 11, 500 plus page books. That level of inflection and skill, is very rare nowadays, and becoming more rare by the year.

~Rex

True. Howard was boiling with raw inspiration. He carved Conan out of dreams with borrowed alien words.

I sense you are hinting at the Wheel of Time series. Jordan's Conan is both much better and briefer than the WoT. His is the best pastiche. It's as true to form and continuity as you can get... but yes, there can only be one original.

Mr Momoa's total lack of a thick Austrian ac-cent would also be a plus.

Not to me. Though if Momoa starts impersonating Schwarzenegger, it's going to be one interesting but suck-tastic movie.

This could be good if they use a Peter Jackson I'm bringing REH's stories to the screen approach.

But if they use a Verhaven I will have a mentally retarded aid strip some names from the book and then create a completely unrelated abortion approach it will definitely be bad.

This could be good if they use a Peter Jackson I'm bringing REH's stories to the screen approach.

But if they use a Verhaven I will have a mentally retarded aid strip some names from the book and then create a completely unrelated abortion approach it will definitely be bad.

He'll defend it by calling it "satire"!

Perhaps, but the hacks always seem to find ways to defend their scams.

But the source material of a satire can usually be recognized by viewing the work alone. V's mess could only be tied to the source material by spelling it out on the marquee. If they had named it something else and used different names, no one would have ever made the connection. Even with them, they might have thought the character names were a backhanded tribute to old scifi, but they wouldn't have connected the movie plot with the with the storyline of the book. They were completely different.

Conan was mostly written as short stories for magazines. If they change anything to improve it for modern audiences, they will just destroy the very feel that made the stories great.

PJ showed that they can adapt a book to the screen, make necessary changes and still maintain a story's integrity.

But we shall see.

It's supposedly a somewhat original Tale that draws from the elements of more then a few of the stories. In short, it's not a direct translation but another Pastiche. STILL, if it feels like Conan, I'll be happy with it, and I think I would rather see them do a story with the character in the right way, then take the right story, and tell it the wrong way.

~Rex