Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

RexMundi

Re: Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

REH was a stickler for Detail. Right up to 3 months before his death he was writing official heights and weights for Conan at the age of 15' date=' heh.....from Rouges in the House you get: [b']"... a tall man, mightily shouldered and deep of chest, with a massive corded neck and heavily muscled limbs. He was clad in silk and velvet, with the royal lions of Aquilonia worked in gold upon his rich jupon, and the crown of Aquilonia shone on his square-cut black mane; but the great sword at his side seemed more natural to him than the regal accoutrements. His brow was low and broad, his eyes a volcanic blue that smoldered as if with some inner fire. His dark, scarred, almost sinister face was that of a fighting-man, and his velvet garments could not conceal the hard, dangerous lines of his limbs."[/b]......

Still waiting for an REH quotation that mentions body hair. ;) As far as visual inspiration for the character, I went back over my Conan book collection with Frank Frazetta covers, and can't find a hairy Conan in any of those, either.

I remember Jason Momoa's work on Stargate: Atlantis, where he played the brooding, ferocious, scary warrior, too. He has the size and athleticism, and I think he may have the acting chops to pull off Conan, at least.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's supposedly a somewhat original Tale that draws from the elements of more then a few of the stories. In short, it's not a direct translation but another Pastiche. STILL, if it feels like Conan, I'll be happy with it, and I think I would rather see them do a story with the character in the right way, then take the right story, and tell it the wrong way.

~Rex

Well to be fair, that is the only way they really could make Conan. At best you would have to assemble all the stories in chronological order, not publication order. And then ties them together into one story. But Conan's world was supposedly earth in the distant past, there is a copy of the world map floating around that is superimposed over modern Europe, Africa and Asia (parts of them anyway) with a dry Mediterranean. His cultural breakdown was pretty close to what could have been the ancestors of the modern world. I don't recall if this was proven as REH's intent or if he was just using it for inspiration.

I've always felt a movie should be based in a real world grittiness with the extraordinary deftly mixed in. Along the lines of 13th Warrior.

Mr Momoa's total lack of a thick Austrian ac-cent would also be a plus.

That was actually one part of Arnie's portrayal of the character I didn't dislike. In his stories Howard repeatedly remarks that Conan speaks whatever language he's using at the time with what sounds to his listeners like a "barbarous accent."

Still waiting for an REH quotation that mentions body hair. ;) As far as visual inspiration for the character, I went back over my Conan book collection with Frank Frazetta covers, and can't find a hairy Conan in any of those, either.

I remember Jason Momoa's work on Stargate: Atlantis, where he played the brooding, ferocious, scary warrior, too. He has the size and athleticism, and I think he may have the acting chops to pull off Conan, at least.

Yeesh. You're lucky I just got Laid Off and have free time now for my beloved book collection.......Here you go....From "Hour of the Dragon".....

Ch. III; "The Cliffs Reel":

1. "Wrenching away the bow and an arrow he staggered toward the opening of the pavilion. So formidable was his appearance, naked but for short leather breeks and sleeveless shirt, open to reveal his great, hairy chest, with his huge limbs and his blue eyes blazing under his tangled black mane,........".

And there we go......

~Rex

Well to be fair, that is the only way they really could make Conan. At best you would have to assemble all the stories in chronological order, not publication order. And then ties them together into one story. But Conan's world was supposedly earth in the distant past, there is a copy of the world map floating around that is superimposed over modern Europe, Africa and Asia (parts of them anyway) with a dry Mediterranean. His cultural breakdown was pretty close to what could have been the ancestors of the modern world. I don't recall if this was proven as REH's intent or if he was just using it for inspiration.

I've always felt a movie should be based in a real world grittiness with the extraordinary deftly mixed in. Along the lines of 13th Warrior.

We should get some of that with Solomon Kane.....and the 13th Warrior approach would work well for Conan.......or better yet a Black Company movie but what can I say, I'm greedy for grit. :D

~Rex

We should get some of that with Solomon Kane.....and the 13th Warrior approach would work well for Conan.......or better yet a Black Company movie but what can I say, I'm greedy for grit. :D

~Rex

I am really waiting for the US Solomon Kane release. I'd also go for a good Malazan Book of the Fallen movie.......

sigh.... instead we get A-Team....

I don't know if I could handle a Malazan Movie .......Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the books, but the Stories are basically an Out of Control Fantasy Game, written down. EVERY main character, is either a demi god, possessed by a god, half god half monster/race, unstoppable hand to hand or knife to knife Assassin, and or with an undead component, and or with a magic user component on the level of the guys that were three or four rungs above Gandalf......In short, a Fun Read, but honestly, the only director that could handle Malazan, would be Michael Bay, because Malazan is to Fantasy what Michael Bay is to Awesome......

Besides A-Team is gonna Rock. :D There's a lot of REH comparissons within the A-Team. :D

~Rex

I don't know if I could handle a Malazan Movie .......Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the books, but the Stories are basically an Out of Control Fantasy Game, written down. EVERY main character, is either a demi god, possessed by a god, half god half monster/race, unstoppable hand to hand or knife to knife Assassin, and or with an undead component, and or with a magic user component on the level of the guys that were three or four rungs above Gandalf......In short, a Fun Read, but honestly, the only director that could handle Malazan, would be Michael Bay, because Malazan is to Fantasy what Michael Bay is to Awesome......

Besides A-Team is gonna Rock. :D There's a lot of REH comparissons within the A-Team. :D

~Rex

Well the MBotF is more than that. I prefer to follow the regulars story arc's. But I have to totally disagree with Micheal Bay. MB is to movies what a crack overdose is to life. He has the uncanny ability to turn gold to dog @#$%. With a good maker, MBotF could be every bit as great on screen as LotR's.

I don't know about AT though. Even as a kid I thought they personified the definition of suck. Hey! let's fire off ten million rounds and not even hit the barn.

I conceed it is possible they may pull something out of their nether regions and the movie may barely be better than the Dragonball movie. But I won't hold my breath. I finally saw Ironman 2 last night and got treated (/sarcasm) to the AT trailer. It was pretty much what I thought it would be.

Heh, you could have, Aang in full Avatar mode, and Son Goku show up in a Malazan book, and Quick Ben would basically say...."What....that's all you guys Bring to the table? Water Buckets are over that way......folks are getting thirsty....."

The point I was making with Bay wasn't for bad direction, it's that just the Malazan books, are a bit out of Scale with most Fantasy. Basically, you would have to do them, in Anime'. You would never get a LOTR style movie out of them because their Scale is somewhere between the Golden Age Specter and Galactus in power level for the average character......Would make for kickass Anime', but most likely a boring movie for a lot of people.

That's why movies work well in Gritty Fantasy mode. You can easily churn out many things, where the folks are basically Human, or at least close to it, OR, like in the case of Conan, bring something to the table that's downright escapist in nature, yet, oddly seems somehow obtainable. LOT'S of Folks, can relate to Conan, or a character in the Conan stories. You just don't get the same connection with something like Kharsa Orlong the Toblaki in the Malazan books, much less all the God Level supporting casts like Anomander Rake ......Though, you'd get a lot of Flint Weapon using Neanderthal Wizard Zombies I suppose which would appeal to some folk.

~Rex

Well to be fair' date=' that is the only way they really could make Conan. At best you would have to assemble all the stories in chronological order, not publication order. And then ties them together into one story. But Conan's world was supposedly earth in the distant past, there is a copy of the world map floating around that is superimposed over modern Europe, Africa and Asia (parts of them anyway) with a dry Mediterranean. His cultural breakdown was pretty close to what could have been the ancestors of the modern world. [b']I don't recall if this was proven as REH's intent or if he was just using it for inspiration. [/b]

Considering that Robert E. Howard drew the original Hyborian World map superimposed over a modern map and wrote an essay titled "The Hyborian Age", which describes history from the sinking of Atlantis, through the Hyborian age, and into real world history, it was certainly REH's intent.

Considering that Robert E. Howard drew the original Hyborian World map superimposed over a modern map and wrote an essay titled "The Hyborian Age"' date=' which describes history from the sinking of Atlantis, through the Hyborian age, and into real world history, it was certainly REH's intent.[/quote']

Thanks, it has been a long time since I spent a lot of time reading anything Conan related. I was pretty sure that was the case, but I couldn't remember actually reading anything.

Thanks' date=' it has been a long time since I spent a lot of time reading anything Conan related. I was pretty sure that was the case, but I couldn't remember actually reading anything.[/quote']

Cool. For a minute there, I thought I might have come off as a condescending snob. Which I am when it comes to Robert E. Howard. :D

Cool. For a minute there' date=' I thought I might have come off as a condescending snob. Which I am when it comes to Robert E. Howard. :D[/quote']

Not a problem BB, we already knew you were ;)

What happened to your post count? Unless you are not the same BB I thought you were:think:

Heh, when it comes to being an REH fan, and one is NOT, a condesending Snob, then one is showing weakness in the face of the masses.....

Besides, within the land of REH, Men are Men, Women are Women, Gorilla's are Gorilla's, and folks don't get their knickers in a twist because someone says something contectual or otherwise.....sure there are LOTR or WoW threads for that kind of EMO. :D That being said the thing that annoys me about this movie is that there is 1. So little to see about it as for what is going on, and 2. It's being filmed out of Bulgaria.....and we all know what Bruce Campbell says about Bulgaria.

~Rex

I don't' date=' but I'm guessing that Bulgarians might be offended by whatever it is.[/quote']

“No cars look the same, no building looks the same, ... The streets don't look the same. ... You've got packs of wild dogs running around. It's not America.” " Yeah. Bring a lot of bribe money. And watch your luggage." And many many more.....Odd thing is, Bulgaria has had a Movie Industry for a LONG time, and pretty much, 90% of all B grade movies are made there now. It's the new Italy. :D

~Rex

“No cars look the same' date=' no building looks the same, ... The streets don't look the same. ... You've got packs of wild dogs running around. It's not America. Yeah. Bring a lot of bribe money. And watch your luggage." [/quote']

Sounds like Detroit.

Now Now, you KNOW, that could spark a huge flame war if some Detroit-er...hmmm...Detroitian....Detroitite? Hmm, ok, Some Redwings/Lions/Tigers/Pistons fan may see such commentary and become enraged by it......We don't want that kind of reaction here in the pulp threads that's what the champions and fantasy hero threads are for. :D

On a serious note, having been through Bulgaria a few times, it's an odd country, but it DOES, have a very Sword and Sorcery look to the country side, and plenty of actors that work cheap even if their version of english sounds more like what you would expect from someone looking for Moose and Squirrel.

~Rex

Heh, when it comes to being an REH fan, and one is NOT, a condesending Snob, then one is showing weakness in the face of the masses.....

Besides, within the land of REH, Men are Men, Women are Women, Gorilla's are Gorilla's, and folks don't get their knickers in a twist because someone says something contectual or otherwise.....sure there are LOTR or WoW threads for that kind of EMO. :D That being said the thing that annoys me about this movie is that there is 1. So little to see about it as for what is going on, and 2. It's being filmed out of Bulgaria.....and we all know what Bruce Campbell says about Bulgaria.

~Rex

I agree with most of your post but "Rogues in the House" showed us that sometimes Gorillas are Men. Or at least they want to be.

~Rex

Now, if only they would have cast Bruce Campbell as Conan...

I'm the same BB I've always been. Why? What's wrong with my post count?

272? I could have sworn you have been around a lot longer than that. You were here long before I took my hiatus....