Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

RexMundi

Re: Conan: The Current Movie in Progress.....

I don't think so' date=' I remember reading the story a few years after seeing the movie and thinking it was cool they had used it almost straight from the book. It had to have been an REH story or at the least one of those incomplete bits completed after his death as I haven't read the other authors who have tried to write Conan stories.[/quote']

I have the full run of REH's Conan stories, as produced by Del Rey in a three volume set. "The Atlantean Sword" isn't in there. If the book you read was one of the old 12-volume paperbacks put out by... uhm... was it Ace? then parts of what you read were pastiches and reworkings of other REH stories by L Sprauge de Camp and... his co-author. They invented a lot of stuff whole-cloth as I recall.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so' date=' I remember reading the story a few years after seeing the movie and thinking it was cool they had used it almost straight from the book. It had to have been an REH story or at the least one of those incomplete bits completed after his death as I haven't read the other authors who have tried to write Conan stories.[/quote']

The Thing in the Crypt is credited to Carter and de Camp in the book I have.

Always a big Lou fan. I like him better as Heracles more then Conan though. Conan, to me, requires a certain Grace as well as brawn. That could just be me though, but it was always the combination of Size speed and agility that made Conan just that much more......then the foes he faced.

~Rex

I have the full run of REH's Conan stories' date=' as produced by Del Rey in a three volume set. "The Atlantean Sword" isn't in there. If the book you read was one of the old 12-volume paperbacks put out by... uhm... was it Ace? then parts of what you read were pastiches and reworkings of other REH stories by L Sprauge de Camp and... his co-author. They invented a lot of stuff whole-cloth as I recall.[/quote']

Well, yes it was from that series of books, as that was really about all that was available in the 80s. I have the Del Ray books as well but those only became available a few years ago. I thought everything in those books were at least incomplete stories finished by DeCamp and Sprague, but I guess some were actually complete works by one or the other with no "contribution" from REH.

If I'm in a non-serious mood, I'd get Kevin Smith to write it.

:)

If I'm being serious, I might consider someone really unlikely, like Mike Mignola. His work on the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser comics convinced me that his sword & sorcery timing is great.

If I'm in a non-serious mood, I'd get Kevin Smith to write it.

:)

If I'm being serious, I might consider someone really unlikely, like Mike Mignola. His work on the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser comics convinced me that his sword & sorcery timing is great.

Kevin SMith might not be that bad a choice... since he understands the genre (or, at least, comics.)

I actually thought the "actor" who played Conan on the television series some years ago (Ralph Moeller?) would have been able to play Conan in a film the way that Howard wrote the character. He was very tall, huge and muscular, but surprisingly quick and agile; he has a "darkly sinister" face with intense blue eyes, and a strong sense of menace about him; and his voice is deep and harsh, with a "barbarous accent." ;)

These considerations are apart from the quality of the television series, which is questionable to say the least. Of course he's too old for the role now.

If one more person on the internet - whether on IMDB' date=' YouTube, or any other site - mentions Ralph Moeller, I'm going to have a stroke.[/quote']

<_<

>_>

Frau Blücher!

(runs)

If one more person on the internet - whether on IMDB' date=' YouTube, or any other site - mentions Ralph Moeller, I'm going to have a stroke.[/quote']

IT'S THE PLUMBER I'VE COME TO FIX THE SINK!!!!!! errrk, gaaaaahhhhk, gooooool

So does thins mean you don't like Ralph Moeller? I mean Ralph Moeller might just be a nice guy. Of course Ralph Moeller could be a dirty rat, but then I don't know. So tell me. Why don't you like Ralph Moeller.

Is is just me or does anyone else think BB has an unhealthy fixation with Ralph Moeller?

:whistle:

:angel:

I have the pilot of the series on DVD and oy is it bad. Actually, it's worse than bad, it's absolutely diabolical. The weapons look like aluminium, the violence is bloodless and the SFX for Yag-Kosha look like something knocked up out of old socks by five year olds. Plus, there's this plot line about Conan searching for the kidnapped love of his life.

No, sorry, it sucked.

So does thins mean you don't like Ralph Moeller? I mean Ralph Moeller might just be a nice guy. Of course Ralph Moeller could be a dirty rat' date=' but then I don't know. So tell me. Why don't you like [b']Ralph Moeller.

[/b]Is is just me or does anyone else think BB has an unhealthy fixation with Ralph Moeller?

:whistle:

:angel:

I just had several strokes. Because I was laughing so hard. :rofl:

You have been repped. And Susano will be too as soon as I spread some rep.

I have the pilot of the series on DVD and oy is it bad. Actually, it's worse than bad, it's absolutely diabolical. The weapons look like aluminium, the violence is bloodless and the SFX for Yag-Kosha look like something knocked up out of old socks by five year olds. Plus, there's this plot line about Conan searching for the kidnapped love of his life.

No, sorry, it sucked.

I agree completely with you about the way they made Yag-Kosha look. He's my favorite Conan character and I still haven't seen a picture of him that I thought did him justice. Speaking of Yag-Kosha, I've been meaning to mention ask who everybody thinks should play him in a movie. Considering how good he was as Darkness in Legend, I could honestly see Tim Curry playing the part. But if I was going to pick someone based on their voice, I'd probably go with Peter David or Richard Basehart.