350 Point Project

Mathew

Since so much fun was had with converting excisting character to 250 point characters, I decided to start a thread devoted to converting characters to 350 points. This thread is good for more powerful characters who just don't fit into 250 points, or versions of the 250 point characters who are now more experienced and more powerful than when they started.

First up, Garganta from Femforce comic, as she currently exists, able to grow to 200 feet tall.

csgarganta.gif

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/GARGANTA.pdf

Re: 350 Point Project

I probably should learn to use that other program some day. Oh well, I'm happy enough. Even with the changes in rules, I'm guessing a 350 point character will still be around 350 points in 5th or 6th edition until I update.

The main thing is the removal of figured characteristics. OCV and DCV now have to be bought separately, at 5 points a pop (from a base value of 3). That means most characters need another 40 or 50 points just to deal with that.

Most of the other stuff is fine - but it's been decades since I used ECs much. EC based characters might suck a lot, although there are other ways of hooking powers together.

I'm in no real hurry to convert, but I've already got the new characteristic values memorised, and I like the lower cost for Life Support Immunity effects (poison, disease, etc), so my current back of the envelope characters are pretty much 6E already.

Conversion, in other words, is pretty trivial. I wouldn't really bother for NPCs - they're pretty usable as is, and who cares about their point costs? It's only PCs that are an issue, and they can be grandfathered if need be. But obviously things like the 350 project are exceptions, since particular point totals are, well, the point.

According to the 6E default guidelines, a 5E 350 point character is roughly equivalent to a 6E 400 point character. A 5E 250 pointer corresponds to a 6E 300er. I personally think that that would be about right in most cases. Then again, in some cases a specifically designed 6E character could be more powerful than a converted one that carries across artifacts from earlier rulesets.

Having said all this, I finally got hold of a copy of the PS238 RPG a couple of days ago, so that's got me back in 5E mode to some extent.

The main thing is the removal of figured characteristics. OCV and DCV now have to be bought separately, at 5 points a pop (from a base value of 3). That means most characters need another 40 or 50 points just to deal with that.
To an extent, although characters that had a very high DEX for combat purposes may no longer need it. With OCV/DCV decoupled, I'd like to see an across the board DEX reduction, so that not particularly agile characters don't have/need DEX 20+ just to keep up.

To an extent' date=' although characters that had a very high DEX for combat purposes may no longer need it. With OCV/DCV decoupled, I'd like to see an across the board DEX reduction, so that not particularly agile characters don't have/need DEX 20+ just to keep up.[/quote']

Don't tell anyone, but

Lightning Reflexes rule!

Lightning Reflexes has gone from a "What?! Why do you think you should be so fast?" Talent, to a "What?! Your supermage has a 20 DEX? Is he a gymnast in his spare time? Take Lightning Reflexes!" Talent, at least in my games.

350 Point Project - Powerhug

Powerhug is a character from the Japanese anime series called Beast Wars Second. He is a 10 foot tall blue alien robot judo expert who can turn himself into a giant pillbug. I'm not making this up.

Powerhug.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/POWERHUG.pdf

You can watch Powerhug and his teammated, the Insectrons here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uf1wA814-o&feature=related

You're probably right if they messed with ECs' date=' as I have read. One more reason to stick with older editions.[/quote']

Pffft. EVERY edition of Champions since 2nd edition has fooled with the Elemental control rules in some way. 3rd and 4th fooled with them in major ways. 5e (as with many things in 5e) just clarified the rules a bit and closed loopholes.

In 6e, they were removed and replaced by a -1/4 limitation called Unified Power which can be placed on all powers on a character and you don't have to do riduculous things to make the EC work, and there's no stupid "Only with GM's permission" bits. Basically IMHO EC are good riddence, Viva la Unified Power!.

Here's a 6e version of Garganta. I just did as close of a straight across conversion as I could. Growth does MUCH MUCH more in 6e. I also included the Hero Designer file for anyone who wants to fiddle. Oh she came in for way less than the 400pts that is the "standard Superheroic" Campaign in 6e. I would suggest rounding out her background skills more. So she has something to do when she's not 18m tall.

Enjoy.

Tasha

-------

Garganta

VAL CHA Cost Roll Notes

4 STR -6 10- HTH Damage 1/2d6 END [1]

15 DEX 10 12-

18 CON 3 13-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

10 EGO 0 11-

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

5 OCV 10

5 DCV 10

1 OMCV -6

3 DMCV 0

4 SPD 20 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

2 PD 0 2/21 PD (0/19 rPD)

2 ED 0 2/21 ED (0/19 rED)

4 REC 0

20 END 0

10 BODY 0

20 STUN 0

Movement Cost Meters Notes

RUNNING 0 42m/84m END [4]

SWIMMING 0 4m/8m END [1]

LEAPING 0 4m 4m forward, 2m upward

Characteristics Total: 57

Cost Powers

105 Growth (+45 STR, +15 CON, +15 PRE, +9 PD, +9 ED, +9 BODY, +18 STUN, +7m Reach, +36m Running, -18m KB, hands/feet are Area Of Effect (1m Radius) attacks, 6,401-50,000 kg, +6 to OCV to hit, +6 to PER Rolls to perceive character, 9-16m tall, 5-8m wide), Persistent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (157 Active Points); Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Unified Power (SuperSizing Powers; -1/4) - END=0

Super Size Powers, all slots Linked (Growth; -1/2), Unified Power (SuperSizing Powers; -1/4) - END=

3 1) +5 CON (5 Active Points); Linked (Growth; -1/2), Unified Power (SuperSizing Powers; -1/4) - END=

26 2) Resistant Protection (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); Linked (Growth; -1/2), Unified Power (SuperSizing Powers; -1/4) - END=0

34 3) Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); Linked (Growth; -1/2), Unified Power (SuperSizing Powers; -1/4) - END=0

34 4) Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); Linked (Growth; -1/2), Unified Power (SuperSizing Powers; -1/4) - END=0

17 5) Running +30m (42m total) (30 Active Points); Linked (Growth; -1/2), Unified Power (SuperSizing Powers; -1/4) - END=3

10 Life Support (Expanded Breathing (under Water); Longevity: Immortal) - END=0

15 Telepathy 6d6 (Human class of minds) (30 Active Points); Empathy All Emotions (-1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2) - END=3

6 Protective nature and animals.", Span-XX swimsuit: Resistant Protection (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2) - END=0

Powers Total: 250

Cost Skills

3 Animal Handler 13-

10 +2 with a large group of attacks

3 Scientist

3 1) Science Skill: Biochemistry 14- (4 Active Points)

1 2) Science Skill: Marine Biology 11- (2 Active Points)

1 3) Science Skill: Psychology 11- (2 Active Points)

2 PS: Scientist 11-

Skills Total: 23

Cost Talents

6 +2/+2d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

Talents Total: 6

Value Complications

5 Accidental Change: When enraged 8- (Uncommon)

15 Hunted: US Government Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; Watching)

10 Psychological Complication: Quick to use violence when nature is threatened (ie Protective of Wildlife) (Uncommon; Strong)

10 Enraged: When Animals are hurt (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 14-

10 Psychological Complication: Scientific Curiosity (Common; Moderate)

Complications Points: 50

Base Points: 400

Experience: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Total Character Cost: 336

Nice to see your stuff again Matthew. I do have a question on Garganta' date=' not familiar with the character but is there a reason her strength is so low normally?[/quote']

According to a profile on her printed in an AC comic she can lift 70 lbs at normal size. If you consider it that's not really low for a normal human adult woman. The average woman cannot bench press 220 lbs! (STR 10) Thing is her STR is cubed just like her weight as she doubles in height... so she gets REALLY strong.

Oh Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification.

Since DoJ took over, Strength in HERO is not bench press, it's Dead lift weight bench is about 1/2 the listed STR capacity. Now they don't say what "Lift" means there. If we were assuming a bench of 70, then her dead would be about 70kg (more or less) so 70kg would be like a ...6..ok never mind :)

do tell. What else does it entail now?

Growth (+45 STR, +15 CON, +15 PRE, +9 PD, +9 ED, +9 BODY, +18 STUN, +7m Reach, +36m Running, -18m KB, hands/feet are Area Of Effect (1m Radius) attacks, 6,401-50,000 kg, +6 to OCV to hit, +6 to PER Rolls to perceive character, 9-16m tall, 5-8m wide)

So you get all the above (which is cut and pasted from the 6e Conversion). That is a single power not a compound power construct. So your growth characters don't have to buy AOE fists, extra running, and stretching for when they are tall. All things that had to be bought to make a Growth Character "Make sense" in previous editions (at least since 4e champions). It is VERY pricey now, but it gives a ton of stuff when purchased.

• 2 weeks later...

Since you need villians too, and I love Transformers, here is a foe for Grapple on the Decepticon side, Scrapper, leader of the Constructicons!

Scrapper-G1.jpg

060620102829.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/SCRAPPER.pdf

I included the flying wing that came with the toy, allowing his vehice mode to fly, even though it's never been depicted in fiction. I made him a mere 16 feet tall, since that's about how large the show bible says he is, despite his vehicle mode suggesting that he would be larger. Basically he's a adistic alien construction worker with a laser psitol who turns into a flying scoop loader!