"Crowning Moment of Cool?"

redleaf

Re: "Crowning Moment of Cool?"

More like a "Dethroning Moment of Suck" in terms of human intelligence. Suing an alien for abducting your ancestor? Oy.

Why? Throughout history many cultures have had debts, feuds, alliances, and sometimes even crimes, be the responsibility of not just the individual, but either the entire family, or generationally through their children/ancestors. What makes this so ridiculous?

More like a "Dethroning Moment of Suck" in terms of human intelligence. Suing an alien for abducting your ancestor? Oy.

My feeling about this scene was that belonged in the category of Crowning Moment of Funny. B5 had a few others which were much funnier, though. Vir Cotto's famous scene with Mr. Morden, many of Londo's scenes, and my personal favorite: spacing the teddy bear. Links will be posted on request, at the risk of de-railing this thread....

My feeling about this scene was that belonged in the category of Crowning Moment of Funny. B5 had a few others which were much funnier' date=' though. Vir Cotto's famous scene with Mr. Morden, many of Londo's scenes, and my personal favorite: spacing the teddy bear. Links will be posted on request, at the risk of de-railing this thread....[/quote']

Apparently I missed a lot in never watching B5.

Multiple Crowning moments of Cool:

Miles Vorkosigan (in Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga books)

One of my favorite is when he dons all his various medals (god knows how many he has, he keep them in a big jar...), including the highest ranking decoration of a *RIVAL* stellar power (don't ask! - Read "Cetaganda"), all this to be *SURE* to have the attention of the new Imperial Security chief. (who didn't take him seriously)

Multiple Crowning moments of Cool:

Miles Vorkosigan (in Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga books)

One of my favorite is when he dons all his various medals (god knows how many he has, he keep them in a big jar...), including the highest ranking decoration of a *RIVAL* stellar power (don't ask! - Read "Cetaganda"), all this to be *SURE* to have the attention of the new Imperial Security chief. (who didn't take him seriously)

Yeah, the As*!@le really should have checked Miles' classified record BEFORE he decided to set Miles up!

But my favorite from that universe took place before Miles was born.

In "Barrayar", when Lady Cordelia Vorkossigan speaks to Count Vordarian at the Emperor's birthday party.

"I wish you would stop trying to annoy, count. I'm afraid that you might succeed.

You should fear that too."

BTW, my second favorite is from later in the same novel, after Count Vordarian has revolted; when Cordelia comes back from her "shopping" trip, and walks into the meeting between her husband, the regent Aral Vorkossigan, and his associates, and the senior officers of the pretender "Emperor Vordarian", who are trying to get a deal to save their skins by turning their coats.

Now that was a crowning moment!

Alrighty then... by multiple request, a little-known CMoF from an early B5 episode. John Sheridan puts the B5 souvenir shop out of business. Permanently. :sneaky:

Aww, poor teddy bear! It deserved better than getting thrown out into space. :cry:

You know, some people may think it's an honor having a teddy bear named after you. Then again, if you're a career military officer, maybe not.

BTW, my second favorite is from later in the same novel, after Count Vordarian has revolted; when Cordelia comes back from her "shopping" trip, and walks into the meeting between her husband, the regent Aral Vorkossigan, and his associates, and the senior officers of the pretender "Emperor Vordarian", who are trying to get a deal to save their skins by turning their coats.

Now that was a crowning moment!

You left out the most important part - when she shows what she has in the shopping bag.

The severed head of the would-be emperor.

Before she was Cordelia Vorkosigan, she was Cordelia Naismith - an officer of a planet that was on the opposite side of a war from Barrayar. When she met Aral Vorkosigan, it was as his prisoner. Circumstances forced them into a survival trek on a strange world, and before it's over, he's proposed - but she escaped to warn her own world of Barrayar's plans.

Then in the second half of the novel Shards of Honor, she was captured again, this time by a prince infamous for depraved cruelty. Despite being outranked and under the command of this prince, Vorkosigan busts in on them, gun drawn, willing to risk everything rather than stand by as the woman he wants to marry is tortured to death or insanity -

and finds his sadistic superior officer on the floor with his throat cut.

When Aral Vorkosigan can speak again, the first words he says are "I am going to stop worrying about saving you from my army, and start worrying about saving my army from you."

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks Miles Vorkosigan's proposal was awesome, but it would take too long to set it up...

pps: post palindromedary stuff

I think I misremembered - the officer in question outranked Vorkosigan but wasn't the prince. The prince died in the battle.

Aww, poor teddy bear! It deserved better than getting thrown out into space. :cry:

You know, some people may think it's an honor having a teddy bear named after you. Then again, if you're a career military officer, maybe not.

IIRC, the original teddy bear was named after a military officer.