The Hero System is bland and over complicated

RPMiller

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Hero System is bland and over complicated

Yeah, I'm not sure when it was that weapons started getting outrageous in terms of damage. Maybe when Espionage/Danger-International started influencing Champions? I remember way, way back starting with the dynamite in the 1st ed book, and figuring out something like 8-12d KEX for nuke-level damage.

Hero's damage scale is one of the things I've always liked about the system. It means that huge swings in conceptual 'power' don't overwhelm the system.

Yeah, I'm not sure when it was that weapons started getting outrageous in terms of damage. Maybe when Espionage/Danger-International started influencing Champions? I remember way, way back starting with the dynamite in the 1st ed book, and figuring out something like 8-12d KEX for nuke-level damage.

Hero's damage scale is one of the things I've always liked about the system. It means that huge swings in conceptual 'power' don't overwhelm the system.

The Comparitive Scale and the fact that as you point out, swings in conceptual power don't overwhelm the system, is certainly one of the strongest points for the game. Combined with ease of adjustment, seems like a win win.

~Rex

I seem to recall that a "nuke" in the old Mayfair DC Heroes game did the equivalent of something like 18 DC. Which is probably a bit on the low side' date=' but still, it illustrates a different approach.[/quote']

Nuke-Zooka 18AP, Small Multi Kiloton Warhead 20 AP, Big Mega Ton material upwards of 25. Basically, it all depended on how tough Superman was at the time. They always used Superman and what could hurt him as a sort of damage cap in the system. 3rd Ed numbers above. 1st Ed, the AP ratings were kind of retarded for most things.

~Rex

IIRC, a nuke in V&V could do as little as 4 points of damage.

Oh, and your mom is bland and over-complicated.

Hey, no picking on V&V allowed. If anything the game deserved mad props for the giant arguement in character creation as people tried to justify their stats. Besides. I still have the V&V Write up for Godzilla, and let me tell you son, That guy, can roll with a lot of damage.

~Rex :D

Hey, no picking on V&V allowed. If anything the game deserved mad props for the giant arguement in character creation as people tried to justify their stats. Besides. I still have the V&V Write up for Godzilla, and let me tell you son, That guy, can roll with a lot of damage.

~Rex :D

Relax, Rex, I wasn't picking on anything, I was just mentioned that I'd read (in Murphy's Rules I believe) that V&V could have a nuke go off with about as much effect as a firecracker.

Relax' date=' Rex, I wasn't picking on anything, I was just mentioned that I'd read (in [i']Murphy's Rules[/i] I believe) that V&V could have a nuke go off with about as much effect as a firecracker.

I'm always relaxed. And that old Murphy's Rules.....was pretty generous. :D 4 Points could be a lot to some V&V characters, heh. Scale was always interesting in a game of V&V. :D

~Rex

Nuke-Zooka 18AP, Small Multi Kiloton Warhead 20 AP, Big Mega Ton material upwards of 25. Basically, it all depended on how tough Superman was at the time. They always used Superman and what could hurt him as a sort of damage cap in the system. 3rd Ed numbers above. 1st Ed, the AP ratings were kind of retarded for most things.

~Rex

And yet with a good die roll a baby could punch Superman in the nads and send him back to Krypton before it exploded.

Only with a Whole Lot of Doubles. A Lot. A WHOLE Lot. Really need a lot of Red Shift there. At least in 3rd Edition when it was cleaned up a lot. 1st, a Casual breeze on a good roll would shatter the moon.

~Rex

And Batman could bench-press a DC3.

Hence, exposed is one of the issues with an open ended exploding success die system. And that would still require more then a few doubles to be stacked on top of each other. Other then that, was a mighty fine game to play, and fairly easily adjustable on the fly, same with Underground as well.

~Rex