6th Edition Mega-Scale and Movement

FreeDice

Is there a reason to by a movement power at a value greater than 1m if it has MegaScale?

1m Teleportation, 1m=10,000km MegaScale (+2) = 3 Active Points.

10m Teleportation, 1m=1,000km MegaScale (+1 3/4) = 27 Active Points

Since Teleportation allows you to go anywhere in between the minimum and maximum, is there a reason to buy it at a greater value than 1m?

Did 5th limit the incremental increase? I can't remember and don't have FREd handy.

Re: 6th Edition Mega-Scale and Movement

Is there a reason to by a movement power at a value greater than 1m if it has MegaScale?

1m Teleportation, 1m=10,000km MegaScale (+2) = 3 Active Points.

10m Teleportation, 1m=1,000km MegaScale (+1 3/4) = 27 Active Points

Since Teleportation allows you to go anywhere in between the minimum and maximum, is there a reason to buy it at a greater value than 1m?

Did 5th limit the incremental increase? I can't remember and don't have FREd handy.

there is minimun distance you have move when using Megascale.

In your first example you could either move 1m or 10,000km but not anything in between.

In the other 1m to 10m or 1000km to 10,000km but not 11m to 999.99km

there is minimun distance you have move when using Megascale.

In your first example you could either move 1m or 10,000km but not anything in between.

In the other 1m to 10m or 1000km to 10,000km but not 11m to 999.99km

This is no longer the case in 6th ed.

"The amount of megascale a character buys defines the upper limit of the scale of his power. He can vary the scale of the power from use to use, ranging from 1m = 1m up to 1m = the maximum distance he bought megascale for ...." (6E1, 340)

This is no longer the case in 6th ed.

"The amount of megascale a character buys defines the upper limit of the scale of his power. He can vary the scale of the power from use to use, ranging from 1m = 1m up to 1m = the maximum distance he bought megascale for ...." (6E1, 340)

If you only buy 1m of Teleport, any use of it (Megascale or not) is a Full Move, so that would be a reason to buy at least 2m.

If you only buy 1m of Teleport' date=' any use of it (Megascale or not) is a Full Move, so that would be a reason to buy at least 2m.[/quote']

True. I wouldn't just buy 1 m. My character has 15 m. I was just pointing out the rules change.

If you only buy 1m of Teleport' date=' any use of it (Megascale or not) is a Full Move, so that would be a reason to buy at least 2m.[/quote']

If you buy 2 m, and rely on Megascale to enhance that, you'll be using your 12 m of running in combat. Use of Megascale is noncombat movement.

This info is just from memory, but there are serious reasons not to use megascaled teleport. Non-combat teleport means you remain exactly where you are until the very end of phase in which you activate your teleport. Meaning anyone can attack you in the phase you attempt to teleport, and as has been stated any megascaled movement is considered Non-combat.

In addition, I believe, the Teleport description specifically mentions that using megascaled Teleport takes an extra phase.

I believe that all non-combat teleport takes a full phase. (I don't have my book with me right now). Megascale at a scale greater than 1m = 1m is non-combat teleport. The upside is that you don't have to buy teleport twice in order to use it at megascale, you just have to buy the advantage for your teleport. But if you actually use it at megascale distance it will suffer all the normal disadvantages of non-combat teleport.

So' date=' if you're building a combat power, there's value in movement greater than 1m, but so far, there's no reason for non-combat movement.[/quote']

There isn't one. However' date=' this is what Minimum Purchase rules are for. See 6e1 pg. 119. AFAIK there is no reason not to buy the minimum purchase amount of base movement if you want to put Megascaled on it.[/quote']

Is this actually a problem? Megascale lets you cover vast amounts of distance in a single phase, out of combat. Is that power, or flavour? If one character has Megascale, he can get somewhere really fast - and be demolished by any challenge that was designed for the whole team. If Dr. Transport lacked that Megascale, Usable on Others, would the campaign consist of the GM describing numerous events taking place at great distances, with the PC's never arriving in time to do anything about them? It seems to me that Megascale is more plot device than power. If I, as a GM, want it in my game, I don't see a need to charge a ton for it (it's probably in a Multipower with combat movement anyway, so it won't carry a huge cost in any case). If I don't want it in my game, you're not getting it at any price.

I don't think it's a problem if you just buy the minimum purchase amount of base movement and then megascale it for your travel. I don't think Fireg0lem was implying that there was one, just that there was no reason to buy 2" teleport with megascale (if minimum purchase is 1").

There isn't one. However' date=' this is what Minimum Purchase rules are for. See 6e1 pg. 119. AFAIK there is no reason not to buy the minimum purchase amount of base movement if you want to put Megascaled on it.[/quote']

Missed that rule. Even uses Teleportation as an example. Thank you!

3 reasons to have more than 1m of Megascale movement

1) Using megascale takes a full phase

2) You cannot use any combat maneuvers in combination of mega scaled movement

3) you are 0 DCV non-combat

So I would recommend having a combat version of the movement so you can do something other than move your characters 12m of running during combat.

3 reasons to have more than 1m of Megascale movement

1) Using megascale takes a full phase

2) You cannot use any combat maneuvers in combination of mega scaled movement

3) you are 0 DCV non-combat

So I would recommend having a combat version of the movement so you can do something other than move your characters 12m of running during combat.

Well, specifically you can't attack without GM permission. And you're at 0 OCV but only 1/2 DCV.

I think the main reason to buy more than 1m is that you can now, by default, choose not to utilize the MegaScale each time you use the power, and if you don't use it, you're not considered to be moving with Non-Combat Movement. So you're "20m Running; MegaScale 1m -> 1km (+1)" can now be used as simply 20m of Combat Running (same for Teleportation or whatever).

While true I will ask a simple question: Why would you choose to build your movement with Megascale and not just put it as a slot in a MP

20 Flight MP 20

2f Flight 20m

2f Flight 1m Megascale (1m=10^73 km or 1m=1 quinvigintillion meters or 1m=10^59 LIGHTYEARS)

all for less than the cost of a +1/4 advantage

Now I as a GM would NEVER allow the above build in all it's cheesiness, but as a CONCEPT I would (just not that many advantages, it is a +19)

Actualy I just realised that all my figuring is high by a facter of 10^4, but it would be one point and EQUAL to a +1/4 advantage to correct (and I am to lazy to correct), and you would get 1m more in normal movement to boot

I feel a little guilt buying 1 m fight persistent

but then again who wants to fall out of the sky when stunned

Ah, back to my old qualm about the utility of different modes of Movement. It's pretty darn potent to be able to fly or teleport AT ALL (flight introduces the third dimension and often allows very easy avoidance of so many obstacles; teleportation lets you get through walls and escape Grabs and Entangles with utter ease...). We should really have a much higher buy-in than what it costs to simply be able to move a single meter with one of those modes. My feeling is that you should pay a base amount for a new mode of Movement (one that isn't an Everyman ability) and then pay for the amount you can actually move using that mode. Maybe 10 points for Flight and Teleportation, and 5 points for Swinging and Tunneling; EDM and FTL Travel are already built using such a cost structure, so they don't need fixing.