Sherlock Holmes?

Trebuchet

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Sherlock Holmes?

I suppose it could be done but then if you do a write up, Like the books, one of the *insert Actor of Choice* fanboys is going to scream "That's Not Holmes!" Still, interesting idea and sense being laid off is giving me time to sort and read the old collection, I think I may pull the Holmes stuff off to the side and give it a solid re-reading. Been awhile, and they never ever get old or go out of style.

Much like anything pulp.

~Rex

I was wondering if anyone had done or seen a Hero version of the Great Detective?

I saw a version posted in the Hero Designer Character Vault some time back. If your service contract for HD is current, you might check there. :)

-Carl

The Granada TV series starring Jeremy Brett probably has the most faithful adaptations to the screen. There were some liberties taken' date=' but on the whole the episodes generally follow Doyle's writings.[/quote']Listeth these Liberties!

quote scene and frame number!!

Listeth these Liberties!

Here's the Wikipedia entry on the series. Scroll down to the list of episodes, which link to the synopsis of Doyle's stories and the changes made in the Granada series.

Offhand, the biggest changes were The Mazarin Stone, which was mostly filmed without Jeremy Brett due to his illness. Charles Grey takes the lead as Mycroft Holmes. Grey also filled in for Edward Hardwicke (who was working on another movie) in The Golden Pince-Nez. The Last Vampyre was also a big departure from Doyle's work, The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire.

In a pulp game, I think I'd start with Deduction,Scholar, and a boost to Perception...a Int of 20 or more, and a few levels Likely with "All Int based". Throw in some Disguse and acting (Maybe the levels can be with 3 skils Deduction, Disguise, and Acting) Streetwise seems called for and KS: The underworld. KS: Tobacco, Current events, "Whos who" and you're getting close...

In a pulp game' date=' I think I'd start with Deduction,Scholar, and a boost to Perception...a Int of 20 or more, and a few levels Likely with "All Int based". Throw in some Disguse and acting (Maybe the levels can be with 3 skils Deduction, Disguise, and Acting) Streetwise seems called for and KS: The underworld. KS: Tobacco, Current events, "Whos who" and you're getting close...[/quote']

Boxing. Mr Holmes was noted as being a bareknuckle boxer of considerable skill. There were several instances where he met other practitioners of that art, and ALL of them treated him with great respect once they found out who he was.

Tracking skill is another definite. Used that a few times.

Also, some Geology-related skills, given the ease with which he could very precisely identify different muds and dirts from around the Greater London area (and possibly beyond). I believe he had actually "written a monograph or two on the subject".

Violin-playing. Again, he was supposed to be pretty good. Seemed very knowledgeable about music in general, and frequently attended concerts.

Boxing. Mr Holmes was noted as being a bareknuckle boxer of considerable skill. There were several instances where he met other practitioners of that art' date=' and ALL of them treated him with great respect once they found out who he was.[/quote']

Not only boxing, but Baritsu as well.

Interestingly, Bartitsu (or Baritsu as Doyle inadvertently popularized it as) is in Hero System Martial Arts. :)

Holmes is less of a brawler in the series than in the Downey movie. How good a brawler he is is also in question, as he's much too smart to put himself in a position where he must resort to bareknuckles fighting.

Holmes is less of a brawler in the series than in the Downey movie. How good a brawler he is is also in question' date=' as he's much too smart to put himself in a position where he [i']must [/i]resort to bareknuckles fighting.
He uses boxing against a villain in Arthur Conan Doyle's The Solitary Cyclist. And yes, it was supposedly bareknuckles (although he might have been wearing regular thin leather gentleman's gloves).

IIRC there was another story where a retired professional boxer remembered Holmes fighting in the ring and thought he would have gone to the top of the profession had he kept fighting in the ring. Even though he was slender Holmes of course was very tall for Victorian times (around 6' 2") and must have had an impressive reach.

Lets not forget that, while in many of the TV and film versions, Watson is generally shown to be the man with the gun, Holmes was also a good shot.

He uses boxing against a villain in Arthur Conan Doyle's The Solitary Cyclist. And yes, it was supposedly bareknuckles (although he might have been wearing regular thin leather gentleman's gloves).

IIRC there was another story where a retired professional boxer remembered Holmes fighting in the ring and thought he would have gone to the top of the profession had he kept fighting in the ring. Even though he was slender Holmes of course was very tall for Victorian times (around 6' 2") and must have had an impressive reach.

If I remember correctly the champion boxer had either sparred or had an exibition match of some sort with Holmes years ago and referred to him as the amateur who had "wasted his talents" by not becoming a professional boxer.

Listeth these Liberties!

I'll not be doing that, but I'll mention that they stuck Moriarity cameos into a whole bunch of stories to make it seem that the Napoleon of Crime hadn't come out of nowhere to be at Reichenbach Falls, as in fact he did.