Need Help With Urban Fantasy

Mindscape

My GM is going to run an Urban Fantasy type game in a couple of days and I have a problem. I can't think of anything to play, seriously nothing. So I'm hoping that the people of the boards can give me some ideas or suggestions that can be made on 150 points.

The group is composed of a mystic detective (like Dresden), a heavily armed street vigilante, a hacker with possibly Technomancy spells (player says there is something special about the character but won't say what), and a ninja with various mystic abilities.

The GM has stated that the game will be like the Dresden series of books, with magic existing in a sort of secret underground subculture in Hudson City.

Thanks in advance to everyone for any help you offer.

Re: Need Help With Urban Fantasy

I'm late to this thread, but FWIW; the last time I was in an urban fantasy game, I ran a retired professor with a curio shop. There were a few magical items in the shop that actually worked, so he had a VPP for magical foci, which could only be changed at the shop. It was so cluttered that he had a hard time finding anything, and changing slots required a perception roll. He sometimes took extra time for a bonus to the roll, rummaging around for 20 minutes, or an hour, then finally scrounging up what he was looking for. (Or not.)

I'm late to this thread' date=' but FWIW; the last time I was in an urban fantasy game, I ran a retired professor with a curio shop. There were a few magical items in the shop that actually worked, so he had a VPP for magical foci, which could only be changed at the shop. It was so cluttered that he had a hard time finding anything, and changing slots required a perception roll. He sometimes took extra time for a bonus to the roll, rummaging around for 20 minutes, or an hour, then finally scrounging up what he was looking for. (Or not.)[/quote']

Hey! Who's been looking at my bookshelves? (And did they find the book about the Incas? Because I really need that one for a footnote.)

Play a character like Dorian Grey? How about a shapechanging roach-man that turns into a swarm? A ghost in the machine that works with the Technomancer? A monstrous vampire with a heart of gold? A Franken-soldier? Just a few ideas ...

I have an archeologist book store owner that specializes in rare and dangerous magical tomes. Another is a con artist, using her magic to make her cons more believable without volating the Laws of Magic. A third is a sculpter that prefers to work in ice. We have a college student brand new to her magic. Also a recluse that tried to avoid people in general.

Our minor wardens include an organic gardener, fashion model, wood carver and photographer.

Away from the wizards we have to semi-vampires from the Order of St Giles, an ex-bodyguard and an ex-cop. Then there is the pair of White Courts, mother and daughter. We also have a shape-shifting cat and a dog that is the re-incarnation of our college girl's father though she doesn't know it yet.

http://www.the-wild-hunt.org/dresdenverse/

There is also a rough outline of my take on the Dresdenverse converted to Hero.

I played a crazy homeless guy in the last Urban Fantasy game I was in. Huge Perception bonuses and Eidetic memory. He wasn't actually an employee of Daylight Investigations (he refused to "work"), but it was so useful to have him around that they would overlook it when he ate all the mayonnaise in the break room.

My GM is going to run an Urban Fantasy type game in a couple of days and I have a problem. I can't think of anything to play, seriously nothing. So I'm hoping that the people of the boards can give me some ideas or suggestions that can be made on 150 points.

The group is composed of a mystic detective (like Dresden), a heavily armed street vigilante, a hacker with possibly Technomancy spells (player says there is something special about the character but won't say what), and a ninja with various mystic abilities.

The GM has stated that the game will be like the Dresden series of books, with magic existing in a sort of secret underground subculture in Hudson City.

Thanks in advance to everyone for any help you offer.

How about an Elf passing as human? you can justify loads of weird KS's, and Power: Magic/Ritual as well...?