Weapons Design. For fun and if I'm lucky, profit!

Step 1: DESIGN WEAPONS!!

Step 2: ?!?

Step 3: PROFIT!!

It's step two, as you note, that's giving me difficulty. I believe (he said, scratching his head) that the trick to incorporation other abilities (such as +1 OCV) is to make them a Compound Power. There's two things I can't noodle through:

If I want +1 OCV on "All Slots" in an MP, do I just do that as an Advantage to the whole thing? To each slot, or specific to the MP?

Also, how does one assign a -1 OCV to a weapon? I haven't noodled through that bit of insanity either.

Secondus: How are the BODY/DEF of weapons derived? I'm certain that if I looked hard enough I'd find it, but I'm going to freely admit I'm at that halfway point of lazy & frustrated and if I smack my head on this wall much longer, there may be blood.

Dunno who's.

Thoughts of the Senate?

Re: Weapons Design. For fun and if I'm lucky, profit!

Step 1: DESIGN WEAPONS!!

Step 2: ?!?

Step 3: PROFIT!!

It's step two, as you note, that's giving me difficulty. I believe (he said, scratching his head) that the trick to incorporation other abilities (such as +1 OCV) is to make them a Compound Power. There's two things I can't noodle through:

If I want +1 OCV on "All Slots" in an MP, do I just do that as an Advantage to the whole thing? To each slot, or specific to the MP?

Secondus: How are the BODY/DEF of weapons derived? I'm certain that if I looked hard enough I'd find it, but I'm going to freely admit I'm at that halfway point of lazy & frustrated and if I smack my head on this wall much longer, there may be blood.

Dunno who's.

Thoughts of the Senate?

If you want to build +1 OCV to ALL slots it's just a matter of determining how large a group that is and choosing the appropriately priced CSL's.

I wouldn't build it on the slots or as an Advantage (unless you're talking about something like AOE Accurate), just a separate ability with some of the same common Limitations (Focus).

I'm pretty sure that's covered under the Focus rules and is something like active points of largest power divided by 5 (totally off of memory mind you).

Now, if you want to build a weapon multipower with CSL's that only apply to some slots then it is perfectly acceptable (imo) to build the CSL's as part of a slot via Compound Power.

It's how I built Captain America's Shield.

Yeah, that's how I did it:

Anelace: (Total: 41 Active Cost, 17 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Real Weapon (-1/4), STR Minimum 8 (-1/4) (Real Cost: 12) plus +1 OCV (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Linked (Anelace; -1/2) (Real Cost: 2) plus +2 Block, Bind, Disarm and Takeaway (6 Active Points); Only With Defined Maneuvers (-1/2), Linked (Anelace; -1/2) (Real Cost: 3)

I think it works; it's a standard Northern short blade, paired with a bigger weapon. What do you think; is "Short" as a weapon designation worth a limitation? If so, where do you put it? I'm a big fan of Linked here; I think it's important and clearly states "this only works here with this thing."

Thoughts?

Here's the thing:

Halliruch weapons are complex -- perhaps unnecessarily so. They confer:

OCV bonus/penalty

Block bonus/penalty

Size/Reach modifiers

Maneuver Modifiers

Concealment AND

Just so we don't get bored

Attack type: Piercing, Slashing, or Bludgeoning.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to express all that, for lack of a better word, "Neatly." I don't know that there is a neat way to do it; I think I may be stuck with a silly number of Compound Powers, and if so, then, so. But if you have thoughts, I'm entirely open to them. I think this is why Steve just publishes lists with explanations: even HDv3 is challenged by this sort of thing.

So is this primarily a formatting or a points totaling question?

(like a heroic game where the characters don't pay for equipment vs. a super-heroic where the pay for everything)

If it's the former (just equipment that can be bought with 'money' in the game world) I would just build all the extra details in a List separate from the Multipower and just fudge the def/body to whatever seems appropriate.

See, then there's the middle ground. In my High Fantasy Hero game, I wanted to limit the amount of magic weapons my PCs would bring along with them. So, I use the Resource Pool system from APG (and before that, Dark Champions). Suddenly, how you build something makes a difference.

See' date=' then there's the middle ground. In my High Fantasy Hero game, I wanted to limit the amount of magic weapons my PCs would bring along with them. So, I use the Resource Pool system from APG (and before that, Dark Champions). Suddenly, how you build something makes a difference.[/quote']

Roight, 'xac'ly. This question string is about putting this together in the best way possible, which is not, in my experience, the simplest, nor the most complex, but for me, the most complete. So let me give you a real example of what I'm trying to do, and you tell me how you'd do it:

Note: Steve notes in FH (I think... it may have been HSMA) that a weapon cannot make a body faster. I disagree from a dramatic perspective; a knife fighter is faster than a sword swinger is faster than a Hammer. I'm going to be incorporating a few different things, including, Reflex (is this weapon faster than another weapon?) and Recovery (does this weapon take longer to reset after a swing?) In HERO fashion, the actual weapon will be left as simple as possible, and those extant rules included on the outside.

Add to that the real secret sauce, the Weapon v Armor paradigm, which I'll keep secret for now, because ... it's secret. Sauce. Secret Sauce. I did that with the first two letters of each word flipped, to confuse you. So instead of Secret Sauce, it actually says "Secret Sauce." Clever, eh?

Where's my hat?

So the question I have is:

In HDv3, I want a weapon to be inaccurate. Whenever used, it picks up a -1 OCV. How would you put that on the weapon? Negative Level (do we have such a construct in 6?) A super tight targeted CE (like a Curse, but not, because the weapon is just shoddy?) What are your thoughts? To answer your question, HM, no this is definitely not a points question, it's a design question. Is there a neat, clean way to put all of that into a build without going blind with all the material staring back? Or should I resign myself to seeing a lot of flags?

Is there a neat' date=' clean way to put all of that into a build without going blind with all the material staring back? Or should I resign myself to seeing a lot of flags?[/quote']

I believe there are some export formats for HD that don't list the entire power description, just the Power name and price. Perhaps if you can stand having all the annoying stuff in the actually build you can find a character sheet that won't have all the clutter.

I think it works; it's a standard Northern short blade' date=' paired with a bigger weapon. What do you think; is "Short" as a weapon designation worth a limitation? If so, where do you put it? I'm a big fan of Linked here; I think it's important and clearly states "this only works here with this thing."[/quote']

Short isn't worth a Limitation. Rather, long is built-in Reach. See "Weapon Length" on 6E2 p. 201.

As for the "Inaccurate" concept, I still do it as a sort of "negative level" that subtracts from the cost of the weapon. Side Effects models something bad that happens to the character as a result of using the power, not something that simply makes it a little more difficult to use the power. So I consider what it would cost to gain +1 OCV with that weapon (a 2-point CSL) and subtract that from the weapon's Real Cost.