• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

Robert Sloan: Martin, is it so bad where you're from?

Martin Sloan: I thought so, Pop. I've been living on a dead run, and I was tired. And one day I knew I had to come back here. I had to come back and get on the merry-go-round, and eat cotton candy, and listen to a band concert. I had to stop and breathe, and close my eyes and smell, and listen.

Robert Sloan: I guess we all want that. Maybe when you go back, Martin, you'll find that there are merry-go-rounds and band concerts where you are. Maybe you haven't been looking in the right place. You've been looking behind you, Martin. Try looking ahead.

Xenophilia
-10 points*

You are instinctively fascinated and attracted by strangers and aliens, no matter how dangerous or frightening they appear to be. Make a self-control roll whenever you meet someone (or something) like this. If you fail, you assume that this person is interested in interacting with you socially. A xenophile finds himself offering drinks to glaring foreign soldiers, making passes at cute vampires, and shaking tentacles with Things Man Was Not Meant To Know while his companions are pointing weapons or running the other way . . .

--- --- ---

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/MasterOfOrion

If you are looking for a formula to determine Swing and Thrust damage for a given ST in your head, without need for the table:

Swing damage = ST - 6 'steps', that is

(ST - 6) / 4 DICE, + remainder (if remainder is 3, add 1d-1 instead)

Example: swing damage for ST 17 is 17-6 = 11 steps, that is 11/4 = 2 dice + remainder = 3d-1

Thrust damage = (ST - 5) / 2 'steps' (rounding down), that is

(ST - 5) / 8 DICE + half the remainder, rounded down (if remainder is 6 or 7, add 1d-1 instead)

Probably it's easier to remember just the first formula, and determine Thrust damage for a given ST as equivalent sto Swing damage for (ST+7) / 2, rounded down. Example: Thrust damage for ST 16 is equivalent to Swing damage for ST (16+7)/2, that is ST 11, that is 1d+1.

Note that the Damage Table deviates from this formula for ST higher than 27 or 45 (for Swing and Thrust respectively).

I guess they did that because the damage formula was too complex for very high ST values... saying "+1d for each full 10 ST above 100" is far simpler.

--- --- --- --- ---

BTW you can easily obtain a formula to calculate a linear damage progression if you don't like the official, non-linear progression.

swing = (ST-6)/4 dice of damage
thrust = (ST-5)/8 dice of damage

in both cases, handle non-integers as follows:
3.125 stays 3d; 3.25 and 3.375 become 3d+1; 3.50 and 3.625 => 3d+2, 3.75 and 3.875 => 4d-1.
For damage under 1d, use the regular table instead.

Let's think about this from the alien mooks' perspective, shall we? So your leaders tell you to forcibly uplift a primitive race known as humans. Pah, easy you say. These primitive apes are still using ballistics weaponry and they haven't even figured out practical spaceflight yet. So you send out the Sectoids to start abducting. And then, out of nowhere, a squad of four of these humans shows up and slaughters your advance guard (assuming you didn't play the tutorial). Okay, you think. We'll send in the Thin Men, Floaters, Mutons, and Chryssalids. They get slaughtered. Then, your spacecraft start getting shot down by this same mysterious group of humans. Now, the rumors have started among the rank and file of a horrific creature known only as "Doctor Vahlen," who will capture you, place you in a glass pod, and stick probes into your brain to gain information on you! And THEN, this same group of humans, having turned your own weapons against you, breaches your base and utterly slaughters everyone inside. They never leave any survivors, and they always take the corpses to their horrific underground base to be dissected and used as weapons. So you start bringing out the bigger guns: Sectoid Commanders, Muton Berserkers, Muton Elites, Sectopods, Cyberdisks, more powerful spacecraft, the works. They're all slaughtered, even when you attack their base. And those psionics that gave you a massive edge early in the invasion? The humans have them too, and they'll use them, chortling horrifically while they do it. You think you have it bad? Try being a platoon of Thin Men or Sectoids on a Council mission going up against a squad of Colonels and Majors.

--- --- ---

alienscomparison.jpg