• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

There are times I wonder, did I do this just to kill the PCs, or is it because they did this to themselves? Then I remember, they rushed in with no plan and when things got weird they pressed forward instead of backing away. 

Boons

Languages: Creole, French, Haitian TY

Drawbacks

Pariah

Fighting Styles   Value

Bully 4 (2 AP)

• Strength/Offense

Secondary Role: Initiate MA

Secondary Role: Defense MA

Cost 7 AP

Powers Value

Ti Malice’s Blessing 12

- Mental/Support: Sleight of Hand

Radius MA

Added Support: Distraction, Stealth MA2

Illusions (Active Illusions, Hard Illusions, Meddling Illusions, Mirror,

Mirrored Defense) MA6

Meddling (Disorenting) MA

Where are they Really? (secondary Role: Defense) MA

Locked Power: Radius only for Meddling

Cost: 1 Power + 12 Boons + 9 AP

Gear Value

Sword, Great 10

Offense/Strength

Devastating MA

Total Devastation MA

Secondary Role: Defense MA

Extra Stamina MA

Cost: 12 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 36/Gear = MA4TY (9 Boons)  

The missing term is called the Sharma transduction tensor, also known as the thaumic flow transduction potential: the amount of nearby matter and energy which is enchanted and/or arranged in a mystically significant way. Flowing electrical lines will contribute to this factor. So will static or charmed magic rings, static or charmed staffs, electromagnetic waves, large electrically neutral masses and, in the smallest quantities, all other mass-energy in the universe out to an infinite range, give or take the inverse square law.

--- --- ---

Athos Porthos Aramis and D'artagnan

First in a series of romance novels, Null and Void is set in one of those alternate realities where magic suddenly started to start working because magic is whimsical that way, and the most powerful magicians proceeded to fend off the catastrophes that were happening all over the place.  And y'know, crown themselves as kings and queens.  Convenient for a romance novelist who fancies royal weddings.  To be fair they haven't totally abandoned democracy.  Which leads to this passage:

"Representative Dorothy Hughes of Dallas," I called.

"If His Royal Majesty of Montana accepts your dowry of goat doodles, have you given thought who will replace him for the auction?"

"No, Representative Hughes.  His Royal Majesty of Montana will be participating in the auction."  That he was participating so he could have a chance to do what I'd challenged in my own damned dreams only stoked the flamed of my fury even hotter.  "As this auction is for charity, Imaginary goats are not a viable currency."

"I'll contribute five hundred dollars per goat," she chirped.

"I second the motion," a woman called out.  "I motion we open the floor on the monetary value of the goat dowry."

The protagonist is that classic trope, the person believed to have no magic in a world where the majority has it.  Usually these characters turn out to actually possess some vast power that has been hidden or gone unrecognized.  Guess what happens?

Actually it's kind of interesting.  As a presumed "null" in her job at the start of the book, she is regarded with with disdain.  The culture has an irrational but entirely believable belief that nulls are somehow less useful in the workplace than people with magic, even when the magic utterly trivial and the job is something like code developer for which there is no magic which would be useful.

But she's also regarded with a bit of fear, not of anything she could do but of contamination, that contact with her might "infect" them with her mundanity.  And the funny thing is, they aren't entirely wrong.  Her secret power is being not just a null but a nullifier.  So yeah, contact with her really could cause them to lose their powers for a while.

I'm not sure whether it's actual world-building or just authorial convenience that while our spunky underdog heroine does experience prejudice and does live in a society where the laws don't give her equal rights, almost all of the actual prejudice she experiences comes from the people who have talent...but not much of it.  The upper class find her amusing and likeable and so she makes an effective lobbyist for the cause of null civil rights.  So does this indicate that it's the lower classes who have the most issue with nulls because they need someone to look down on?  Or just that by golly she needs to marry the King of Montana because otherwise the book is in some other genre?

The Midnight In Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThmsgBxqLsU
Human Twilight is frightened that her new super powers indicate she's relapsing into her evil form...  I actually considered including this one, but while I really like the first two lines after that I think it clunks a bit, so I rejected it.   Still it's the only song in that particular TV special that I'd ever want to listen to twice.  
Ain't Got Rhythm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oj79WGfQec
In its first season Phineas and Ferb decided to become one hit wonders as I recall, and so of course they had a song. The suits liked it so much they pushed for every episode to have a musical number, and it is friggin' amazing that with that kind of schedule that so many of the musical bits were so good.  Of course it helped that most of them were really too short to be considered even if I was looking that far back and I wasn't. I mean I love "I Want A Girl With A Suit of Armor", but it's only 30 seconds long.   Of course it wasn't all good.  Phineas and Ferb's success with music inspired a lot of these other shows to try to put songs in and thus many terrible My Little Pony musical numbers were spawned.  
Ain't Got Rhythm however comes from "We're Getting The Band Back Together", the musical episode of Phineas and Ferb, so it's long enough and it's catchy and it's funny.  Just not deep or subtle.  
The Birds of Prey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFP0IoMfsA
Catwoman, Black Canary and Huntress insult the sexual prowess of every male superhero they know...except for Batman because it's his show.  His TV show and he's in the audience on the show.Really good singing voices but not much substance to the lyrics.  
Trap of Love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ezpBKEdAE
Daphne becomes a guest performer with the Hex Girls to bait the latest fake monster, and takes advantage of the opportunity to tell Fred he's a crap boyfriend.  I didn't include it  because I was only listing recent songs out of laziness.  Also, not such a fan of any incarnation of Scooby Doo.  Still it isn't the song's fault that the animation was more than a little low end.
 Fabulous https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkwyQZXzdF8
Another catchy song from the same episode.  I rate it higher because "Unless of course you look like me, because that gives you individuality!" is funnier to me.  
Say That We're Sweethearts Again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3N0MbhBpMY
Harley Quinn sings a tribute to the Joker and it's brilliantly appropriate in it's wacky viciousness.  But ineligible not just because the cartoon was in the 90s but also because it wasn't written for the cartoon.  It dates to 1946.
Music Meister: https://youtu.be/InsuBdkyoqQ?t=44
The best song from Brave and the Bold's musical episode.   Neil Patrick Harris sings as the mind controlling villain.  His voice is great, but the song lacks the sinister resonance of Battle or Under Our Spell.  Needless to say the live action Music Meister didn't even come close though.    
And now for something completely different.  
Awaken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDea7laHD4E
So why wasn't it on the list?  Well for a start. I've never seen the cartoon it was written and recorded for.   While some of the videos on the list were ones I only knew through youtube, I only recently learned that these videos featured songs from Metalloclypse.  So I didn't even consider it.  Probably wouldn't have made the list anyway though.  Although it's a good parody of black metal, it's the video that really makes the song and the video wasn't on television for...obvious reasons.  
Ghost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6me64vxpjM
Sadie Miller...or Sadie Killer does her follow-up to "Working Dead".   When a musical number is worked into an episode, I like it when it says something meaningful about character singing it.  This one's more subtle than Working Dead, which went with the obvious "Sadie doesn't like her job".  This one's about an issue that has gone back to her childhood, her conflicting desires to be seen and not to be the focus of attention.  Her first musical number on the showwas one about wanting to be famous...but when her mother pushed her to perform it in public she shied away.  Now she's actually getting that show business career...her mom didn't even recognize her in make-up 
I don't like "Ghost" as much as "Working Dead".  The strain on the voice-actress in singing the rage-filled part while staying in character as Sadie is audible I think.  But I think I would have put it on the list except it only came out after I made the list.  One side note.   Her remembering to turn off the mic before dropping it has nothing to do with the quality of the song, but it's a great little touch.  
Open Up Your Eyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZvSriNSvUk
"Tempest Shadow" does her best to give us a Disneyesqie villain song and it's a bit overblown.  It's not a bad villain song though...but ineligible because while My Little Pony FIM is a TV show, this was the theatrically released movie of the TV series, one I've never seen.  

Spending Willpower: When a character taps into their Willpower they push beyond their normal capacities highlighting their actions in Features. Multiple Features can be added to an action. However, unless otherwise stated a Feature can only be added once to a roll. Willpower costs based on how poten the potential bonus. Basic Features cost, 1, 2, or 3 Willpower, offering characters increasingly potent bonuses. Cost 5 Features improve on the original basic Features while 10 Willpower can cheat death.

Willpower may be used in the following ways:

Corporatism: Zero hour contracts, no second job allowed, lack of sick pay, treating staff like crap, people are numbers and targets. Monopolies, lack of competition, price fixing and lack of care about consumers. Influence over government. Less drive to improve as there isn't the competition there.

Capitalism: Smaller Businesses, Competition, Best product wins, have to treat the staff well else you lose the good ones to the competition, have to treat the customers well else they have a lot more options. Little to no influence on government. More drive to improve as there is more competition there.

We are not in a capitalist society in many industries anymore. We live in a corporatist society. So yes the big evil corporations if that's what you want to call them, have become too big. It is a matter of scale. The more competition the better to a degree.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

1637 - Tulipmania. Speculation by traders in the Netherlands led to wildly inflate prices of Tulips and Tulip bulbs.

1797 - Land speculation bubble led to downturns in UK and the US

1819 - Land speculation, independent and unrestrained issue of paper money by banks. Led to the establishment of central banking and federal monetary policy. (the first peace-time financial crisis)

1837 - President Andrew jackson orchestrated the movement of government funds from the federal Second Bank of the United States to smaller state banks. People lost confidence in the banking system and there was a recession.

1857 - Overspeculation in the railroad industry led to a bubble and bust. The first global finaincial crisis since investors worldwide were invested in the american railroad industry.

1884 - Gold reserves in Europe were depleted. NYC based national banks halted investment in the United States (to cover bond losses abroad)

1901 - The first stock market crash of NYSE. Caused by stock cornering to take control of the Nothern Pacific Railway. Harriman, Schiff, JPMorgan, James Hill. Ruined a lot of people that year - the trade was financed by the Standard Oil Company.

1907 - The "Banker's Crisis". 50% drop in the value of the NYSE. Widespread dumping of bank stocks triggered by failed speculation (done by just two brokerage firms) that led to a market-wide liquidity crunch.

1929 - The Great Depression - stock speculation - bubble and crash leading to a ten year recession.

1937 - Unemployment spikes again during the great depression. Characterised by decline in industrial production and profits. This was the aftershock of the financial collapse hitting the industrial sector.

1974 - Global stock market crash. Hit the UK the hardest. Caused due to the collapse of the Bretton Woods system, dollar devaluation and the Oil Crisis of '73 when OAPEC countries staged a global oil embargo.

1987 - Black Monday. The first "Quant Crash". Global stock market crash that is attributed to program trading, market psychology (hysteria), and illiquidity.

1992 - Collapse of the European Exchange Rate mechanism. Caused by Hedge Funds and speculative investors. Led to a crash in the value of the british pound and the Deutsch Mark.

1997 - The Asian Financial crisis. Led to steep decline in the value of several South East Asian Currencies. Started when the Thai Bhaat could not support its peg against the US dollar - Thailand was effectively bankrupt.

2000 - The Dot-com bust. The collapse of the stock prices of internet companies.

2008 - Worldwide financial (almost) collapse due to sub-prime mortgage bubble bursting. subsequent global recession.