• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

2 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Let me see if I understand the argument being made in the video. D&D changed and people get to play different things now so I don't like it. Therefore I'm going to spend my money on other systems that are more aligned with my personal style of play. Therefore, Wizards of the Coast must be losing money, and should pander to me instead of who they are currently pandering to. 

If this is correct, let me say this, corporations are only as liberal as revenue allows them to be. Why are they moving in the direction they are? Money. It's a short, simple statement. However, they characters and stories they chose to focus on does not impact your home table. The only thing that would impact your personal table are mechanical changes, so it seems like the argument is not about money, but rather the idea of diversity and allowing for more fantastic races as options. This is something I went into a much longer discussion about recently, so I'm going to link to that at the end. That said, it feels the video is operating in bad faith and trying to frame the argument in a way that doesn't highlight the exclusionary nature of their stance. 

Here's the article I recently wrote on the inclusion is bad myth https://housedok.com/the-inclusion-is-bad-myth/ 

4 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Certified, have you ever heard the anecdote that goes something like the following?

"Back in the day, we could leave our front doors unlocked at night and not worry."

Is there any truth to this recollection?

My thought is that depends on where you live. When my grandmother passed away, in 2001-2, she had been living in rural Alabama. That was a community that only locked their doors at night, and gave me funny looks for locking my car door. That is to say, they left the doors unlocked during the day. When I would spend summers there in the 80s the back door was left unlocked.

Conversely, I had spent some time there in 1999 and ended up working as a bouncer at a roadside bar. It was a look into the amazing level of racism in rural America. 

Edit: I grew up predominantly in New York and later Las Vegas and those doors were never unlocked. In New York we had a chain. deadbolt and an automatic lock. I remember getting locked out more than once because I forgot my key. Las Vegas was just a single lock. 

- - - 

https://shef.com/

On 10/1/2021 at 10:11 AM, Certified said:

Let me see if I understand the argument being made in the video. D&D changed and people get to play different things now so I don't like it. Therefore I'm going to spend my money on other systems that are more aligned with my personal style of play. Therefore, Wizards of the Coast must be losing money, and should pander to me instead of who they are currently pandering to. 

If this is correct, let me say this, corporations are only as liberal as revenue allows them to be. Why are they moving in the direction they are? Money. It's a short, simple statement. However, they characters and stories they chose to focus on does not impact your home table. The only thing that would impact your personal table are mechanical changes, so it seems like the argument is not about money, but rather the idea of diversity and allowing for more fantastic races as options. This is something I went into a much longer discussion about recently, so I'm going to link to that at the end. That said, it feels the video is operating in bad faith and trying to frame the argument in a way that doesn't highlight the exclusionary nature of their stance. 

Here's the article I recently wrote on the inclusion is bad myth https://housedok.com/the-inclusion-is-bad-myth/ 

The contents of the video itself are a mystery to me; all I did was read the comments below. In any case, the only reason I came across the video was because it turned up while searching for context regarding that Dragonlance author's tweet. In my estimation, the blowback that Hickman received was...overblown. He wasn't exactly extolling the virtues of days when "the trains ran on time".

18 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

The contents of the video itself are a mystery to me; all I did was read the comments below. In any case, the only reason I came across the video was because it turned up while searching for context regarding that Dragonlance author's tweet. In my estimation, the blowback that Hickman received was...overblown. He wasn't exactly extolling the virtues of days when "the trains ran on time".

Responses on the interest tend to escalate, that's for sure. However, I see how they. 

- - - 

Don't worry, Hellboy shows up for a cameo...