What's your favorite Hero Designer Export format?

Hyper-Man

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What's your favorite Hero Designer Export format?

That's awesome to hear, Xavier. I wrote Simple Heroic for my convention games as well.

I have recently updated the format with a couple of improvements. I haven't posted it to the vault yet, but you can see it in this thread.

Here's Captain America using the new format (no hand editing of the file).

I'll be lame and say, "mine." Naturally I can't post the latest versions of my handiwork for looking at right now. I would like to check out this "Simple Heroic" template when I have the chance though.

I will say that I made two versions of each of my templates, one with costs, the other without for players (or even GMs like myself) who think that costs detract from the feel of a game. Multipowers and the Wealth Perk are their only weaknesses.

I wish I was better versed at things to make my own....

I really like Robert Miller's Writers' Guidelines-compatible RTF formats. He's still working to get them fully compliant, and it doesn't help much that Steve's put updating the WG on indefinite hold, but I like to print things out for inclusion in Haymaker! and other things and I find them extremely handy.

(If I had the skill to make my own, I could probably make them come out exactly like I want, and probably even make them export into WordPerfect format.)

I thought RPMiller's WG formats were solid. Where do they drift from the communicated standard?
For 5th Ed, they're as dead-on as can be. He just hasn't had the time (or, at least, hadn't the last time I checked) to fully update them to 6th Ed. For example, I still get the old "400+ Disadvantages" rather than the now-standard "400 Matching Complications (75)".

That's awesome to hear, Xavier. I wrote Simple Heroic for my convention games as well.

I have recently updated the format with a couple of improvements. I haven't posted it to the vault yet, but you can see it in this thread.

Here's Captain America using the new format (no hand editing of the file).

I really like this one. Does anyone know if there is a similar simplified PDF format for 5E? I haven't dug through the vault in a while, but I'm introducing new people to Hero and the clean layout and lack of prices would be really nice.

I'll be lame and say, "mine." Naturally I can't post the latest versions of my handiwork for looking at right now. I would like to check out this "Simple Heroic" template when I have the chance though.

I will say that I made two versions of each of my templates, one with costs, the other without for players (or even GMs like myself) who think that costs detract from the feel of a game. Multipowers and the Wealth Perk are their only weaknesses.

Here they are.

Also I got a look at your "Simple Heroic" Format, mudpyr8, and I like it. We obviously think alike when it comes to displaying character costs.

My "No Costs" version's only weaknesses with not displaying costs are the Wealth Perk and Multipower slots though, due to the HTML format. The only way around that is with minor Custom Adders or Notes, but that feels too much like a cop out to me. :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

This is my new favorite:

example

I found the export recently in the Hero Designer Vault. I don't know who uploaded it but it's one of the nicest ones I've seen.

Here's the text from the Vault entry:

The Ultimate 6ed Character Sheet

Uploaded: Friday, April 5, 2013

HERO System Sixth Edition

Type: Single Character

File Extensions: HTML, HTM

This format has the "look and feel" of the Default character sheet, but has the following differences:

*Collates all combat information including Martial Maneuvers in a special page block.

*Powers, Equipment, Talents, Martial Arts, Skills, Perks, and Complications are in a wider single column format.

*Moves picture to right of stats, with Appearance on same page.

*Particularly favors players with lots of Powers, Martial Arts, descriptive Skills, Perks or Talents.

*Split into 4 pages for cleaner printing.

*Added math functions to determine proper NC movement for leaping.

*Added new combat maneuvers and edited changes from 6ed.

*Added -Attacks- derived from power information to combat page.

*Added OMCV and DMCV information and updated characteristics.

*Many changes made to improve legibility and layout.

*The recommended picture size: 288px wide. The image should be anywhere from 352px to 442px tall.

The file " herologo.png " needs to be included in same directory as the export file.

If the character has an image associated with it and you want to have that image included in the HTML output, you will need to save that image into the same directory as the HTML file when you export (the export wizard will prompt you to save the image). The recommended picture size: 288px wide. The image should be anywhere from 352px to 442px tall.

--Modified from the Default character sheet by desaturated May 2010, again in August 2011 with support for 6th Ed, again in January 2013 for finishing touches and bug fixes

Other Files:herologo.png

Downloads: 20

I've never particularly liked any of the stock HD Export formats, although the old Champions Two Column was decent. For many years now I've either just played my characters directly off HD3 or used a character sheet I designed in MS Word solely for my primary character.

I like my Updated "Default" Character sheets.

I have dabbled with other's character sheets. I usually tend to modify the other people's sheets to print in a nice Serif Face (ie Garamond or Adobe Minion).

I don't really care for the PDF print version as the text gets VERY small and I am not a huge fan of Tekton as a font for Body Text.

I guess I should have added "for sharing characters on the forums" to the thread title.

For overall ease of use (including printing) I still like the Print to PDF option but I don't like that it leaves out any "Notes" added to a character's abilities.

For online viewing I prefer HTML exports that include color in the power sections. I also prefer non-fixed width output but if it's a choice between color emphasis or non-fixed width I'll take the color. Killer Shrike's export comes really close but it has some other quirks I don't like.

Most of the RTF exports I've tried to use in the past only reduce the number of printed pages by 1 vs. a HTML export when it's a power heavy character so it really comes down to which style you prefer visually.