Hero System Books Have Way to many Typos

sevrick

Ok I love buying the hero system books but I must admit I hate going though the books and seeing typo after typo. And I'm not talking about miss spelling a word. I'm talking about stat wise. If you put all the Prefabs, package deals, and creatures from the various books into the Hero Designer you will be amazed at how many their are. All I'm asking for is don't try to shove the books out the door as fast as possible. But take pride in the books and look for typos BEFORE RELEASING IT.

Not to mention adding their own tweaks to monster stats that DIFFER from the rules found in Core books. Such as PD/ED Resistances. Look in your Hero System Bestiary. Find any creature that has PD/ED Resistances. Notice they only make them pay for it as if it was only one PD or ED. Instead of 2 like it should be, according to the core rules.

I love the Hero System, I truly do. I just wish that more was done to make the books more quality then just getting books out just to get them out and not caring about what errors are in them. I can wait how ever long it takes for a book to come out I would rather wait a few months more for it to come out if only it meant that it was going to be done right.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hero System Books Have Way to many Typos

"Hero System Books Have Way to many Typos"

ironically uses the wrong spelling of "to" for its context.

From wikipedia:

Muphry's law — states that "if you write anything criticizing editing or proofreading, there will be a fault of some kind in what you have written". The name is a deliberate misspelling of "Murphy's law".

Re: Hero System Books Have Way too many Typos

What Super Secret Page? There's no such thing!

I swear I'll never talk, not even if you threaten me with a Fuzion-based LARP!!!

Sorry to say that the Fuzion LARP was recently overtaken by people too mopey for even the V:tM LARPers to tolerate. Enjoy your time in Hell.

:)

Putting aside the criticism for a minute, what are you talking about? The creatures in the bestiary have Resistant applied as a Naked Advantage (+1/2) on their PD/ED Characteristics, which is exactly correct. This is the 6E version of the Damage Resistance power from 5E, which was the method of making your PD/ED resistant without buying extra defenses.

This seems to be the crux of your argument, and it is unfounded.

Humor aside -- I confess I have no idea what the original poster is talking about. I strongly and categorically disagree with the accusation that Hero Games books have lots of typos and other errors.

Do we have some? Sure, we're not perfect. I doubt you could find a gaming book ever published by anyone that didn't have a few here and there. But we do the best we can to have as few of 'em as possible, and I think we succeed. Among other things, having volunteers enter character sheets and other information into Hero Designer to create our Character Packs allows us to catch math errors before they make it into print.

We'll certainly cop to having an error here and there. But I think that accusing us of having a lot of errors, particularly in light of the amount we publish, is absurd.

Ok I love buying the hero system books but I must admit I hate going though the books and seeing typo after typo. And I'm not talking about miss spelling a word. I'm talking about stat wise. If you put all the Prefabs, package deals, and creatures from the various books into the Hero Designer you will be amazed at how many their are. All I'm asking for is don't try to shove the books out the door as fast as possible. But take pride in the books and look for typos BEFORE RELEASING IT.

Not to mention adding their own tweaks to monster stats that DIFFER from the rules found in Core books. Such as PD/ED Resistances. Look in your Hero System Bestiary. Find any creature that has PD/ED Resistances. Notice they only make them pay for it as if it was only one PD or ED. Instead of 2 like it should be, according to the core rules.

I love the Hero System, I truly do. I just wish that more was done to make the books more quality then just getting books out just to get them out and not caring about what errors are in them. I can wait how ever long it takes for a book to come out I would rather wait a few months more for it to come out if only it meant that it was going to be done right.

Good lord, your point would not so frivilous and purile if you had perfect English use yourself. I can see around ten errors in your post. Should I point them out to you?

If you find one, send me a private message. Please don't post them on the boards, because I may or may not see them. Sending me a PM ensures that I will get them.

We certainly will correct PDFs when we the opportunity arises, but generally speaking we don't specifically schedule "PDF correction time" -- Fred and I both have too many more important things to do. If and when we post a corrected PDF we'll post about it on the boards.

I generally haven't encountered typos, so much as editorial decisions regarding some in-book writeups that I strongly disagreed with and felt should have been revised before publication. And to be fair, I can only think of about 3 of those offhand(damage stats for the inside of the sun(975 d6 KA, x8 AP, x 16 Penetrating(or somesuch) per segment), the DEF ratings for the M1 Abrams inside the HSVS(30 hardened for the frontal armor), and the DEF rating for an Iowa class battleship(10, officially) in the same book, IIRC).

But I have given up on attempting to persuade the "management" to change those. I am just hoping it won't be repeated in the next "official" writeups for these things.