Hero System Books Have Way to many Typos

sevrick

Re: Hero System Books Have Way to many Typos

Well' date=' if I recall correctly, buying Hardened for your based PD/ED and then for your Resistant PD/ED goes back to... 4th Edition? Of course, for things like Resistant Protection, all you need is the one Advantage. And... I could be wrong. I'm simply going off how Steve Long did it and what I had to do to get what looked like the correct result for the HD packs for the Hero Store. As they say, YMMV, and you're free to rule otherwise to make it a simpler game.[/quote']

Well, in 4th edition Resistant was a separate Power rather than an Advantage, so of course you would need to buy Hardened for it as well as the defense it was applying to. However in 6th it is just another advantage. Makes no sense.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well' date=' in 4th edition Resistant was a separate Power rather than an Advantage, so of course you would need to buy Hardened for it as well as the defense it was applying to. However in 6th it is just another advantage. Makes no sense.[/quote']

Okay, when I get home I'm going to check the file and see if I'm recalling it correctly.

Michael appears to be right. Looking at Ogre on page 211 of Champions 6E, the following two powers are listed:

13 Devolutionized Body: Hardened (+1/4) for 30 PD/24 ED

34 Devolutionized Body: Resistant (+1/2) for 30 PD/24 ED, Hardened (+1/4)

It does indeed appear that you need to buy Hardened for both your PD and ED and also on the Resistant Advantage if you want to apply to both your normal and Resistant defenses.

I asked Steve this question while working on data entry for one of the recent books. Here is his quote: "Just like in 5E where Damage Resistance had to have any Advantages that were on the base Defenses made Resistant, the same applies to Resistant in 6E." This means you have to apply an Advantage (Hardened or Impenetrable) to a Naked Advantage (Resistant).

This is not unprecedented. For example, a vampire or werewolf might have

7 Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) for up to 30 Active Points of STR (15 Active Points); Only At Night (-1)

It's unusual and it certainly confused me at first.

I guess it makes sense if you view the Resistant as a smaller overlay on the regular defense that might be vulnerable to Armor Piercing killing attacks in its own right. But it sounds like the situation allows for your rPD to be hardened against AP HKAs and RKAs but not apply against AP normal attacks, which seems totally screwed up to me.

Michael appears to be right. Looking at Ogre on page 211 of Champions 6E, the following two powers are listed:

It does indeed appear that you need to buy Hardened for both your PD and ED and also on the Resistant Advantage if you want to apply to both your normal and Resistant defenses.

See! I told you I wasn't crazy!

I'm not crazy, am I? You'd tell me if I were, right?

Right?

Right....

Daisy... daisy... a bicycle built for two....

I guess it makes sense if you view the Resistant as a smaller overlay on the regular defense that might be vulnerable to Armor Piercing killing attacks in its own right. But it sounds like the situation allows for your rPD to be hardened against AP HKAs and RKAs but not apply against AP normal attacks' date=' which seems totally screwed up to me.[/quote']

I believe it also states in order to have the one (Hardened Resistant), you need to have the other (Hardened Normal.)

Hmm. This convoluted way of doing things has the "advantage" of making buying PD and ED with both the Resistant and Hardened Advantage cost the same as buying Resistant Protection and then applying Hardened to it. It seems strange to me that this highly unusual way of applying an Advantage isn't mentioned anywhere in the rules that I'm aware of. Don't like it.

Though as it applies to HD, I'll note that the workaround isn't a matter of HD not doing things correctly. It is a matter that the rules themselves require a workaround.\

EDIT: Upon further reflection, I'll have to say that it appears as though Resistance should have been kept as a separate power, rather than being turned into an Advantage. Because it appears as though you are still required to buy it as a separate power (as a Naked Advantage), unless it is the only Advantage you are buying on your defenses.

Hmm. This convoluted way of doing things has the "advantage" of making buying PD and ED with both the Resistant and Hardened Advantage cost the same as buying Resistant Protection and then applying Hardened to it. It seems strange to me that this highly unusual way of applying an Advantage isn't mentioned anywhere in the rules that I'm aware of. Don't like it.

Though as it applies to HD, I'll note that the workaround isn't a matter of HD not doing things correctly. It is a matter that the rules themselves require a workaround.

Which was my initial point.

See! I told you I wasn't crazy!

I'm not crazy, am I? You'd tell me if I were, right?

Right?

Right....

Daisy... daisy... a bicycle built for two....

SO you are saying that this construction for your 20pd and 20ED character doesn't harden the Defenses?

15 Hardened (+1/4), Resistant (+1/2) (15 Active Points) applied to ED

15 Hardened (+1/4), Resistant (+1/2) (15 Active Points) applied to PD

Because if it doesn't work this way it will be the only advantage in 6e that has to be bought that way. and Harkens back to the bad old days of 3rd edition where Reduced endurance had to be bought after all other advantages were purchased. That construction was abandoned in 4ed as being asinine and too difficult to deal with. I REALLY hope we aren't going back to those days.

Yup. :)

Sorry to have doubted you, it just hadn't occurred to me that this Advantage is handled differently than every other Advantage in the game.

It'd made more sense if I could have posted what Rod did at the outset.

SO you are saying that this construction for your 20pd and 20ED character doesn't harden the Defenses?

15 Hardened (+1/4), Resistant (+1/2) (15 Active Points) applied to ED

15 Hardened (+1/4), Resistant (+1/2) (15 Active Points) applied to PD

Because if it doesn't work this way it will be the only advantage in 6e that has to be bought that way. and Harkens back to the bad old days of 3rd edition where Reduced endurance had to be bought after all other advantages were purchased. That construction was abandoned in 4ed as being asinine and too difficult to deal with. I REALLY hope we aren't going back to those days.

Yes and no. If you look at Rod's example, you've hardened the regular PD and then made it Resistant. If you want to harden the Resistant Defenses you need to buy Hardened again, just for the Resistant Advantage. So, right now, a 10D6 Blast AP wouldn't have your defenses, but a 3d6 RKA AP would.

Confused? You won't be after the next episode of Soap.

Simple way of doing it in HD. Sell off both PD/ED to 0. Buy Resistant Protection. Add Harden. 75 points for Resistant -4 for the buyback = 71 points!

Yeah, that does solve a lot of issues.

Of course it didn't occur to you' date=' it isn't anywhere in the rules.[/quote']

While the book might not explicitly spell out the example of using the Resistant Advantage, it does clearly state that the Hardened Advantage must be bought for both Regular and Resistant DEF, just like it was in 5E (and, it seems 4E, though I wasn't around back then).

Yes and no. If you look at Rod's example, you've hardened the regular PD and then made it Resistant. If you want to harden the Resistant Defenses you need to buy Hardened again, just for the Resistant Advantage. So, right now, a 10D6 Blast AP wouldn't have your defenses, but a 3d6 RKA AP would.

Confused? You won't be after the next episode of Soap.

That's completely insane. No OTHER Advantage in the game works that way. Stupid constructions like that were eradicated in 4ed.

That would be like saying a 12d6 AP AOE hexes only gives AP to the first target and had to be bought again for the other hexes. It make NO sense.

As to adding an art program to HD, I doubt that'll ever happen. Two vastly different types of applications. Out of curiosity, how to you currently do the artwork for your characters? Do you draw them yourself? .

I took a scan of the old 4th Ed Character sheets with the Silhouettes, back when I had access to the right software at work on the day job, restructured them for *insert edition here* and as I have zero Art talent, and HATE stealing stuff off the computer to use, I'd doodle in the lines as needed.

New sheets lack those silhouettes for some unfathomable reason to me, hence, I want an art program if I am going to have to join the rest of the 21st century and start using a computer for everything up to an including blowing my nose.....

~Rex....moments of writing brilliance balanced by longer moments of drastic, good letterer...Great Inker....TERRIBLE Penciler.......

While the book might not explicitly spell out the example of using the Resistant Advantage' date=' it does clearly state that the Hardened Advantage must be bought for both Regular and Resistant DEF, just like it was in 5E (and, it seems 4E, though I wasn't around back then).[/quote']

That doesn't mean what you think it means. It simply means that if you have 10 PD (10 points) and 10 PD, Resistant (15 points), Total PD = 20, you must buy Hardened on 20 PD (5 points).