Hero System Books Have Way to many Typos

sevrick

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hero System Books Have Way to many Typos

While I see typos and sentences that I'd have constructed differently, I don't think HERO has any more, or less, than most other products. Want to see something crammed with editing errors? Read XCRAWL. While a great idea for a D&D setting, the first sourcebook is riddled with mistakes. Also, as much as I love the Black Company, the Green Ronin isn't so much filled with mistakes, but suffers from really, really, needing a strong editor for its sections dealing with book summaries.

Humor aside -- I confess I have no idea what the original poster is talking about. I strongly and categorically disagree with the accusation that Hero Games books have lots of typos and other errors.

Do we have some? Sure, we're not perfect. I doubt you could find a gaming book ever published by anyone that didn't have a few here and there. But we do the best we can to have as few of 'em as possible, and I think we succeed. Among other things, having volunteers enter character sheets and other information into Hero Designer to create our Character Packs allows us to catch math errors before they make it into print.

We'll certainly cop to having an error here and there. But I think that accusing us of having a lot of errors, particularly in light of the amount we publish, is absurd.

So long as the Erratta, doesn't exceed the "This is just RETARDED!" threshold, I'm fine with the occasional "ore" where "or" should be. I can think of many other company examples, right off the top of my head, where not only is the typo bit uncontroled, the sheer erratta pile, is as big as some of the books. HERO, thank the gods, has been relatively on the forfront. I guess the problem lies in the simple fact that because over all it's quality is so high, that when something does slip though, it really noticeable.

~Rex.....mis-spellins and typos intentional.....spell check thingie somewhat handicapped on this machine.

I guess I haven't really chimed in with any sort of serious contribution here yet. I agree that the Hero System books have pretty good quality in terms of the correctness of language (and personally I fall somewhere in between interpreting "correctness" in the technical literary sense and in the linguistic sense that considers primarily understandability). They are clean and easy to read. The few little errors are pretty easy to figure out, especially given the great responsiveness of the game developers (and gaming community) here on the site.

Re: Hero System Books Have Way too many Hippos

I guess I haven't really chimed in with any sort of serious contribution here yet. I agree that the Hero System books have pretty good quality in terms of the correctness of language (and personally I fall somewhere in between interpreting "correctness" in the technical literary sense and in the linguistic sense that considers primarily understandability). They are clean and easy to read. The few little errors are pretty easy to figure out' date=' especially given the great responsiveness of the game developers (and gaming community) here on the site.[/quote']

My first gaming system that I bought was Traveller. While it's still a love of mine, later versions were almost unplayable without finding the errata (which was harder in a pre-Internet era). Hero, on the other hand, consistently has high production values, with only the occasional errer.

JoeG

Re: Hero System Books Have Way too many Hippos

Hero books, especially 6E, are among the most accurately, tightly written gaming books I've seen. If I had the time, I'd test the OP's complaint about inconsistencies when the stats are run through HD... maybe at the weekend.

To his credit, he loves the Hero System, so he must be a good'un when it comes down to it. He's just been lucky not to buy, say Mongoose's Strontium Dog (nice setting, some big typos...)

Yeah I was a bit annoyed with the typos in Strontium Dog......those reached an unacceptable level in my book, especially considering that pre printing of the book, the freaking typos were pointed out, and they still got into the real deal. *sigh*

~Rex....loves his 2000AD material......not just because he was shilling for Mongoose at the time, heh.

[Not to get too OT, but]

There's lots to love about Mongoose. Most fun roleplaying of the last year was a Traveller rules Dredd Hotdog Run - so different in style to Hero, combat-wise (quick, dirty, lots of post-rationalisation)... but the additional detail of character creation (as compared to GW and D20 Dredds) is what appealed to my Hero-loyal players. And the setting drew in a new player, who should be taking his first foray into Hero some time before Christmas...

Yeah, I still have much love for Mongoose. Otherwise I wouldn't have run as many demo's for them as I did. The Dredd material, and the fact they finally saw the light with the Traveller material and started releaseing more LBB's (:D) was a great move. My only issue with Dredd was player wise I kept running into folks that wanted to break the Psi rules. Other then that, one of the best games on the market right now and if they are smart, they'll reverse engineer the Dredd additionals into the Traveller system stuff as well (Though I already did that anyway).....

Remains my fallback system for when I can't get people to play HERO.....Sometimes I miss the days when the d20 Spectre wasn't so prevelant.

~Rex

If it weren't for Traveller and Champions back in the day with a few FGU things tossed in, never would have stuck with the RPG hobby over the decades.

What is LBB stand for?

Little Black Book, like the original digest sized Traveller rulebooks.

The problem I have with the new Mongoose Mercenary LBB is that it's a different size than the Traveller Pocket Rulebook. I don't really care that the PR was a different size than the original LBBs, but they could at least pick one size and stick to it.

Re:MegaTraveller Books Have Way to many Typos

What is LBB stand for?

Little Black Book, a reference to the original release format of Classic Traveller books. They were typically a staple-bound book made by folding an 8 1/2 x 11 page in half. Mongoose has started to bring back LBB as a perfect-bound reprint of their larger books, but in a smaller size (which is not quite the same geometry as the old books--they're a little shorter and wider).

GDW started to abandon the format with The Traveller Book, and released the next version of the rules, MegaTraveller in a larger format that matched the dimensions of books by most other publishers.

JoeG

Ok I didn't know I was going to open Pandora's box with this thread. To those who commented on the title I just noticed it after I had posted it and could not change it. Any way I suppose I was spoiled by Dnd books that had no errors, stat wise, that I found. I suppose in the long run it doesn't matter. It just seems like if they used Hero Designer to implement them first they would avoid a lot of errors.