Hero System Books Have Way to many Typos

sevrick

Re: Hero System Books Have Way to many Typos

LOL' date=' where exactly is that in?[/quote']

Oh.... way, way back. Probably around 1st Edition AD&D. When (I think) Judges Guild did their D&D knock-off stuff, they included a "% Lair" for their monsters.

Also, there's been a few cases of global find and replace that've backfired. The Mongoose Conan RPG (1st edition) had one dealing with lb turning into pound, resulting in "spelpoundbook" or something like that. Also, there's a D&D book of magic items or something where someone did the same and ended up with some hilarious results.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I didn't know I was going to open Pandora's box with this thread. To those who commented on the title I just noticed it after I had posted it and could not change it. Any way I suppose I was spoiled by Dnd books that had no errors' date=' stat wise, that I found. I suppose in the long run it doesn't matter. It just seems like if they used Hero Designer to implement them first they would avoid a lot of errors.[/quote']Posting like that on the company board, yeah, you're going to have a little feedback.

Another global replace backfire was changing mage to wizard. So image became iwizard, damage became dawizard, etc.

But back to sevrick's post, there are hundreds of us fans that come here every day to talk about the HERO System, and we've only caught a few typos over the years. Are you sure you've got the rules correct?

The only "rules error" cited related to Resistant Defenses, which was not an error, but the correct application of "Resistant" as a naked advantage on PD and/or ED, as indicated upthread. Perhaps the OP would like to cite the errors perceived so they can be checked.

The only "rules error" cited related to Resistant Defenses' date=' which was not an error, but the correct application of "Resistant" as a naked advantage on PD and/or ED, as indicated upthread. Perhaps the OP would like to cite the errors perceived so they can be checked.[/quote']

And he'd love the way I do it. Using HD I often buy Resistant PD and ED as a power with the PD and ED listed in the powers column and all applicable Advantages added there. It does get a little tricky with Hardened Resistant PD and ED, though. You need to apply a Naked Advantage to the Advantage....

It does get a little tricky with Hardened Resistant PD and ED' date=' though. You need to apply a Naked Advantage to the Advantage....[/quote']

Why would you buy the Hardened advantage on the Resistant advantage and not directly on your defense? That's bizarre.

If I am understanding his main gripe (which is a bit of Hubis on my part), I would suspect that he might not be as familiar with naked advantages as he could be, and feels that it should be flaged more apparently.

Also it would seem that he mistakes the software with the rulebook. That is to say he uses the software to check to make sure it is book legal. While this probably works in 99.99% of cases, some oddities do occure.

Finnaly: The example he gives, that of the Resistance advantage being added to the defence characteristics, is something that HD does not handle well IMO...then again I do not agree with DR being removed from 6th, but that is just my opinion.

Why would you buy the Hardened advantage on the Resistant advantage and not directly on your defense? That's bizarre.

Okay, it works like this: You buy a super-tough PC with 20 PD/ED fully resistant. To do that in HD the easy way to buy it is to sell off the base 2 PD/ED and then buy 20 PD/ED and add Resistant to it. So far, so good. However, if you want to have Hardened (or Impenetrable) defenses, you need to buy Hardened for the non-resistant PD/ED, then but it for the Resistant PD/ED. So you end up applying Hardened to the core PD and ED. Then you apply Resistant to the core PD and ED. Then you need to apply Hardened again, to the Resistant Advantage, to harden it against armor piercing attacks. While this looks real simple in a book... it's a bit of work to plug it into Hero Designer.

Heh....you're not selling me on Hero Designer there Michael......

That does look like a lot of work, hence, I shall retreat to my luddite bunker made of discarded pencils and paper scraps.

*shrug*

That's an extreme case. HD is a very useful tool when it comes to creating new characters or adjusting ones you (or someone else) has already made. It's also wonderful when you're dealing with various sets of pre-made packages and templates, since all you need to do is load them up and then select the ones you want. If you have a good concept and know what you want, you can build your character in no time.

Yeah but what do you do when you show up at the Con and the other 45 Computer folks already have all the power outlets and no one can get to a table because of all the extension cords....heh.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the old HEROmaker stuff. Eventually I'll break down and get HD. It's just missing two things to really push me over the edge into getting it.

~Rex

Okay' date=' it works like this: You buy a super-tough PC with 20 PD/ED fully resistant. To do that in HD the easy way to buy it is to sell off the base 2 PD/ED and then buy 20 PD/ED and add Resistant to it. So far, so good. However, if you want to have Hardened (or Impenetrable) defenses, you need to buy Hardened for the non-resistant PD/ED, [i']then[/i] but it for the Resistant PD/ED. So you end up applying Hardened to the core PD and ED. Then you apply Resistant to the core PD and ED. Then you need to apply Hardened again, to the Resistant Advantage, to harden it against armor piercing attacks.

HD is broken then. It has never been the case in Hero that if you buy (for example) 10 PD Resistant +1/2 Hardened +1/4 (17.5 points) that it is not proof against Armor Piercing Killing Attacks unless you also "harden" the Resistant advantage itself. HD is erroneously treating Resistant as if it were still a Power and not an Advantage.

Okay' date=' it works like this: You buy a super-tough PC with 20 PD/ED fully resistant. To do that in HD the easy way to buy it is to sell off the base 2 PD/ED and then buy 20 PD/ED and add Resistant to it. So far, so good. However, if you want to have Hardened (or Impenetrable) defenses, you need to buy Hardened for the non-resistant PD/ED, [i']then[/i] but it for the Resistant PD/ED. So you end up applying Hardened to the core PD and ED. Then you apply Resistant to the core PD and ED. Then you need to apply Hardened again, to the Resistant Advantage, to harden it against armor piercing attacks. While this looks real simple in a book... it's a bit of work to plug it into Hero Designer.

Actually the easiest way to do it in HD is to just buy the extra PD and ED you want as powers, check the "Add modifiers to base characteristics" box and then add both resistant and hardened to them. Pretty straightforward.

Yeah but what do you do when you show up at the Con and the other 45 Computer folks already have all the power outlets and no one can get to a table because of all the extension cords....heh.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the old HEROmaker stuff. Eventually I'll break down and get HD. It's just missing two things to really push me over the edge into getting it.

~Rex

Okay, I'll bite. What is it missing?

A buildable Character Image generater, even as something as simple as the Frabrica Heroes thing way off in it's other thread......Other then that, not a fan of the interface (See the above how to do a few posts back) that forces workarounds like that. The Later I can eventual learn and get around, but having something that would let me build the look of the hero (think, a suped up version of the old silouhette character sheets).....Gimme the generator from the Champions MMO, and I'd buy the thing right now.

And no, I'm not interested in attaching other pictures etc etc etc in various formats. I want something I turn on, go to the generator, build the look, then open up the sheet, and start plugging in stats and powers without workarounds, then hit print, and I get a character sheet with stats AND a picture, without having to electronically paste it all together. That to me would be worth spending a good chunk of cash on.

~Rex

Okay' date=' it works like this: You buy a super-tough PC with 20 PD/ED fully resistant. To do that in HD the easy way to buy it is to sell off the base 2 PD/ED and then buy 20 PD/ED and add Resistant to it. So far, so good. However, if you want to have Hardened (or Impenetrable) defenses, you need to buy Hardened for the non-resistant PD/ED, [i']then[/i] but it for the Resistant PD/ED. So you end up applying Hardened to the core PD and ED. Then you apply Resistant to the core PD and ED. Then you need to apply Hardened again, to the Resistant Advantage, to harden it against armor piercing attacks. While this looks real simple in a book... it's a bit of work to plug it into Hero Designer.

Why the heck would you do that? Just buy the 20 PD/ED and apply two Advantages to it: Resistant and Hardened. Done. Normal Power with two Advantages. You're not seriously telling us HD can't handle a base Power with two Advantages on it, are you?

Actually the easiest way to do it in HD is to just buy the extra PD and ED you want as powers' date=' check the "Add modifiers to base characteristics" box and then add both resistant and hardened to them. Pretty straightforward.[/quote']

Yeah, that works up to a point. But as I said, after you do all that, you still need to add Hardened to just the resistant advantage. At least, based on how Steve did it in the character sheets I entered into Hero Designer for him.

Why the heck would you do that? Just buy the 20 PD/ED and apply two Advantages to it: Resistant and Hardened. Done. Normal Power with two Advantages. You're not seriously telling us HD can't handle a base Power with two Advantages on it' date=' are you?[/quote']

I didn't say that. But, based on what the 6E rules say and how Steve created certain characters for the upcoming villains book, if you want your PD/ED to be Hardened versus Normal and Killing Attacks, then you need to buy Hardened twice. Once for your normal, non-resistant PD/ED and then again, for your Resistant PD/ED, and the latter goes against just the Resistant Advantage, not the Resistant PD and ED as a whole.

A buildable Character Image generater, even as something as simple as the Frabrica Heroes thing way off in it's other thread......Other then that, not a fan of the interface (See the above how to do a few posts back) that forces workarounds like that. The Later I can eventual learn and get around, but having something that would let me build the look of the hero (think, a suped up version of the old silouhette character sheets).....Gimme the generator from the Champions MMO, and I'd buy the thing right now.

And no, I'm not interested in attaching other pictures etc etc etc in various formats. I want something I turn on, go to the generator, build the look, then open up the sheet, and start plugging in stats and powers without workarounds, then hit print, and I get a character sheet with stats AND a picture, without having to electronically paste it all together. That to me would be worth spending a good chunk of cash on.

~Rex

Except as I already noted in a different post a few back that workaround isn't actually needed. Buy the extra PD and ED, buy the advantages you want, check the box to add those advantages to the base characteristic, done.

As to adding an art program to HD, I doubt that'll ever happen. Two vastly different types of applications. Out of curiosity, how to you currently do the artwork for your characters? Do you draw them yourself? If not, you're already using different applications to each of them. So while HD dosn't take care of creating the artwork for you, I'm guessing your current solution isn't either so you aren't really losing anything.

I didn't say that. But' date=' based on what the 6E rules say and how Steve created certain characters for the upcoming villains book, if you want your PD/ED to be Hardened versus Normal [i']and[/i] Killing Attacks, then you need to buy Hardened twice. Once for your normal, non-resistant PD/ED and then again, for your Resistant PD/ED, and the latter goes against just the Resistant Advantage, not the Resistant PD and ED as a whole.

Wow. Thus is another house rule born in my games. I'd never require that kind of convoluted B.S. Put the two Advantages on the same Characteristic/Power, and that's that.

Yeah' date=' that works up to a point. But as I said, after you do all that, you still need to add Hardened to just the resistant advantage. At least, based on how Steve did it in the character sheets I entered into Hero Designer for him.[/quote']

That makes no sense. I can't help but think there is a misunderstanding somewhere. Resistant and Hardened are both advantages. To say that after buying them both on a defense I then have to buy one of them for the other separately would be like saying if I put Area of Effect and Armor Piercing both on a Blast attack, that I then have to buy AP specifically for the AoE as well.

Wow. Thus is another house rule born in my games. I'd never require that kind of convoluted B.S. Put the two Advantages on the same Characteristic/Power' date=' and that's that.[/quote']

Well, if I recall correctly, buying Hardened for your based PD/ED and then for your Resistant PD/ED goes back to... 4th Edition? Of course, for things like Resistant Protection, all you need is the one Advantage. And... I could be wrong. I'm simply going off how Steve Long did it and what I had to do to get what looked like the correct result for the HD packs for the Hero Store. As they say, YMMV, and you're free to rule otherwise to make it a simpler game.