DnD 3.5 to HERO 5e Conversion

BlueCloud2k2

Okay, so I'm doing prep work for a DnD 3.5 to HERO 5e. What I have planned is for characters to be built on 75 base points with up to 75 points in disadvantages. As I convert things over I will be posting them. And please bear in mind I do not have access to 5e Fantasy HERO or the 5e HERO system beastiary as of right now.

Right now I've "finished" the core races (that is I've built them as best as I can manage). I would like each race to be built on spending no more than 25 points (and I failed miserably with Dwarves) with roughly 10-25 points in disadvantages. I would also like each race to have something in the following categories:

Racial Characteristics, Racial Powers, Racial Heritage, Racial Disadvantages.

Characteristics, Powers and Disadvantages are self-explanatory. Racial Heritage would be the skills all members raised by their particular society would have.

This is what I have thus so far:

Standard Races

Elves

Elfin Characteristics

6 DEX +2

Elfin Racial Traits

5 Low-light Vision 3 Longevity (Lifespan 800 Years)

3 Does Not Sleep

3 Keen Senses

2 Mental Fortitude: Mental Defense +2

Elfin Heritage

2 Orienteering, 1 Skill Level in Orienteering; Only in Forest/Woodlands (-1/2)

1 Survival: Temperate Forests

1 WF: Bows

1 WF: Swords

Elfin Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: Elf (Concealable with Effort, Noticed and Recognized)

Total Cost: 17 Points

Dwarves

Dwarven Characteristics

4 CON+2

Dwarven Racial Traits

5 Darkvision 2 Longevity: 200 Years

-4 Short Legs: -2” Running

8 Stability: Clinging +6 STR; Only to resist being tripped/Knock-back*

5 Resistance to Poison: +10 CON; Does not affect figured Characteristics (-1/2); Only vs Poison (-1/2)

4 Innate Spell Resistance: +1 PD, +1 rPD, +1 ED, +1 rED, +1 Mental Defense, +1 Power Defense,

+1 Flash Defense (Sight, Sound and Smell Groups); Only applies to Magic (-1)

Dwarven Heritage

2 WF: Dwarven Weapons Group**

Dwarven Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: Dwarf (Concealable with effort, noticed and recognized) 10 Psych: Hatred of Orcs & Goblins (Common, Moderate)***

Total Cost: 11 Points

* Knock-back Resistance only applies to being forcibly moved by a combat manuver. Knock-back caused by a special attack (such as a Dragon's Tail Slap) still cause Knock-back.

** Dwarven Weapons are as follows: Dwarven War Axe, Dwarven Urgrosh, Battle Axe, Throwing Axe, Hand Axe, Warhammer, and Throwing Hammer.

*** This represents only a mild hatred of Orcs and Goblins. This Disadvantage could be made stronger to represent a greater degree of Hatred, to the point of killing members of these races on sight.

Gnomes

Gnomish Characteristics

4 CON +2

Gnomish Racial Traits

-4 Short Legs: -2” Running

5 Low-Light Vision

2 Keen Hearing: +1 PER Hearing

2 Keen Nose: +1 PER Smell

Gnome Spell-Like Abilities:

4 1/d - Speak with Animals: Universal Translator (Speech Only; +4 to INT Roll)

3 1/d - Dancing Lights: Images (Sight) 1” Space

3 1/d - Ghost Sound: Images (Sound) 1” Space

Gnomish Disadvantages

15 Physical: Character is 3' Tall (All of the Time, Slightly Impairing)

10 DF: Gnome (Concealable with effort, noticed and recognized)

Total Cost: -6 Points

Half-Elves

Half-Elfin Racial Traits

5 Low-light vision

1 Longevity: 200 year lifespan

3 Keen Senses: +1 all PER rolls

2 Mental Fortitude: +2 Mental DEF

Elfin Heritage (Optional, only if raised by Elfin family)

2 Orienteering, 1 Skill Level in Orienteering; Only in Forest/Woodlands (-1/2)

1 Survival: Temperate Forests

1 WF: Bows

1 WF: Swords

Half-elf Disadvantages:

10 DF: Half-elf (Concealable with effort, noticed and recognized)

Total Cost: 1 or 6 Points

Half-Orcs

Half-Orc Characteristics

Cost Ability

3 STR +3

4 CON +2

4 BODY +2

1 PD +1

Half-Orc Racial Traits

Cost Power

5 Darkvision

Half-Orc Disadvantages

Value Disadvantage

15 DF: Half-Orc (Concealable w/ Effort Always Noticed)

Total Cost: 2 Points

Halflings

Halfling Characteristics

6 DEX +2

Halfling Racial Traits

-4 Short Legs: -2” Running 5 Agile and Sure-footed: 1 Skill level w/ Agility Skills

6 Atheletic: Climbing Skill, 1 Level Climbing, +1” Leaping

5 Natural Thrower: +1 OCV w/ Thrown Weapons

3 Courageous Heart: +5 PRE (Defense Only -1/2)

3 Keen Senses: +1 to all PER Rolls

Halfling Disadvantages

15 Physical: Character is always 3 feet tall (All the time, slightly impairing) 10 DF: Halfling (Concealable with effort, noticed and recognized)

Total Cost: -3 Points

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: DnD 3.5 to HERO 5e Conversion

In 5E' date=' I like to model the Dwarven (and, I believe, Gnomish?) ability to defend against Large-sized folk in 3.5 as special Combat Skill Levels. They're relatively cheap that way. In 6E, you could do it as Limited DCV.[/quote']

Yes I kind of agree with that, but this is a race is half the size of everyone else and should get the bonuses one gets from the Shrinking power when half size. Just My Humble Opinion :D

the Dwarven clinging power must be overpriced for it's utility I would think.

Trip is resisted with an Acrobatics roll and at the GM's option Shove can be reduced with Knockback Resistance.

2 Stability: Knockback Resistance -1m plus Acrobatics (DEX Roll), Only To Resist Trip (-2)

Actually, I'm kyping KS's racial templates. The only one that annoys me thus so far is the Gnome.

I seem to recall a comprehensive list of DnD 3.5 Spells that were converted to HERO being posted here a while back... the only thing I've been able to find has been .HDC documents and I don't have HD. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

A few things I'd like to see converted from D&D 3.5 to 6e:

* The Hexblade character class (found in Complete Warrior). A very interesting class concept that nobody actually played because it was poorly designed and underpowered. Hero could do the concept properly as a Package Deal and make it playable (especially since it doesn't have the alignment constrictions D&D does).

* A general set of guidelines for converting D&D feats into Hero super-skills (not conversions of alll the feats -- there are too many of them from too many sources) . Admittedly this would make higher-level D&D characters very expensive to model, but it would give GMs access to some of the abilities if they chose to put them in their games.

Actually, I'm kyping KS's racial templates. The only one that annoys me thus so far is the Gnome.

I seem to recall a comprehensive list of DnD 3.5 Spells that were converted to HERO being posted here a while back... the only thing I've been able to find has been .HDC documents and I don't have HD. Thoughts?

What in particular annoys you?

* A general set of guidelines for converting D&D feats into Hero super-skills (not conversions of alll the feats -- there are too many of them from too many sources) . Admittedly this would make higher-level D&D characters very expensive to model, but it would give GMs access to some of the abilities if they chose to put them in their games.

3e Feat Conversion

What in particular annoys you?

It's no one single thing... I guess "annoy" is the wrong term of phrase... it's more that I'm not fond of Gnomes game wise. Sure they are cool personality-wise... but game-mechanics-wise I hate them with a passion.

The rest of your conversions are excellent. I'm going to be heavily basing my Fantasy HERO campaign (Champions of Greyhawk) off of your work. Once I finish pulling what I like of your conversions from your site, I will be adapting the expansion character classes and posting them here.

* The Hexblade character class (found in Complete Warrior). A very interesting class concept that nobody actually played because it was poorly designed and underpowered. Hero could do the concept properly as a Package Deal and make it playable (especially since it doesn't have the alignment constrictions D&D does).

That is the second expansion class I will be converting. Well, maybe third. The first would be the Warlock and the Hexblade is tied with the Artificer from Eberron.

When I finally get it done I'll post the 5e conversions on the forum.

But first I feel the need to convert Drizzt to HERO 5e using Killer Shrike's guidelines (will be redoing the Drow base Template a bit... from the books it would seem as if Drizzt was able to use his Globe of Darkness and Faerie Fire at will... though stacking Continuous with 0 END cost seems very munchkinish...

But first I feel the need to convert Drizzt to HERO 5e using Killer Shrike's guidelines (will be redoing the Drow base Template a bit... from the books it would seem as if Drizzt was able to use his Globe of Darkness and Faerie Fire at will... though stacking Continuous with 0 END cost seems very munchkinish...

I haven't read any Salvatore, but Drizzt has always struck me as a very munchkin character to begin with. (I haven't read much of the official D&D fiction at all -- I tried to read The Dragonlance Chronicles and gave up after the first volume. I may want to try again just to see what all the fuss was about, but in general I'm not happy with D&D's effects on the fantasy genre in fiction.)

I haven't read any Salvatore' date=' but Drizzt has always struck me as a very munchkin character to begin with. (I haven't read much of the official D&D fiction at all -- I tried to read [i']The Dragonlance Chronicles[/i] and gave up after the first volume. I may want to try again just to see what all the fuss was about, but in general I'm not happy with D&D's effects on the fantasy genre in fiction.)

Try the Paul Kidd Greyhawk novels. They're a hoot.

Actually its totally legal. You just have to declare a reasonably common thing to turn it off, which can also be an arbitrary (but reasonable) duration. Individual effects may or may not be unbalancing and the GM needs to use discretion on a case by case basis, but that's true of just about everything in the HERO System.

Actually' date=' I don't like Gnomes either. They're superfulous, really. I think the Gnome package is usable, all the same, even though I detest them and would never play one personally :eg:[/quote']

I think I'm going to alter the conversion so the Gnomish illusion is a 1/day thing.

Actually its totally legal. You just have to declare a reasonably common thing to turn it off' date=' which can also be an arbitrary (but reasonable) duration. Individual effects may or may not be unbalancing and the GM needs to use discretion on a case by case basis, but that's true of just about everything in the HERO System.[/quote']

So I could declare that the Globe of Darkness runs for one minute or until someone hits it with a light or daylight spell?

Excellent...