Fallout Hero (6E)

NanoEther

Re: Fallout Hero (6E)

Survival Fallout: depending on when the bombs drop and when the show ends, it could be interesting. The contestants may have only been in the vault a month or two when the bombs hit, and they think it's part of the game, since the program was written out before hand, they just go one playing the game and voting people out, so there's a pile of bodies within 100 feet of the entrance. Or it's the end of the season, the winner's going to come out, but the bombs hit and the door seals tight, the computer having so many overrides, thinks that the vault is already ready to seal. Alternately, the doors open the bombs drop and everyone rushes into this too small vault. There are two sizes I can see, small, for the first show, it's large enough for 20 people to survive comfortably for a year (probably 40 to 60 additional people, production staff, camera men, executives, season survivors). And large, shows been running for 5 or 10 years, so the vaults can support 100 to 200, and the influx isn't as big a deal. If the vault was being prepped for the next season, supplies could already be on hand for the next year. So, think Probst will get voted off first?

• 2 months later...

Few more ideas:

the Lysol Vault (AKA Vaultboy in a Bubble): Once vault was completed, entire facility was cleansed and occupants spent a day decontaminating before getting into the vault proper (there was a area large enough for the occupants to wait, in very cramped conditions). Upon opening, most occupants died from exposure to germs and disease.

Germ Lab: Opposite of the above, not really dirty conditions, but the occupants were exposed to various germs and bacteria throughout their stay, resulted in very hardy wastelanders.

Trash Heap: Automated recyclers failed. Some items could be recycled by hand, but other items could not.

• 1 month later...

Skill books & magazines

I originally wanted to use skill books, but every +1 in Hero ~ +5 in Fallout it becomes really overpowering if you don't control availability of the books.

Then came New Vegas and skill magazines, a +2 temporary bonus is about the +10 you get in FO (+4 = +20). So, what if the skill books give you a temporary +1 and are reusable while magazines give you a temporary +2 but are Expeded? And with the comprehension perk you get a permanent +1from a book and it is unusable after that, while magazines give a temporary +4.

You still need to be carefull about placemen and number available, but not as much.

As a note, a bookstore is almost half fiction, half non-fiction. In the non-fiction titles less then 10% are going to satisfy a specific need. And once those beautiful plate glass windows break, and after the survivors pick out choice tinder for building fires, there's not going to be much left. A library is going to be similar, they do carry more non-fiction, but it tends to be more specialized, of course, more books means the odds are about the same. So you can expect to find a number of books that survive, but you can dictate what skill books are available.

Next, FO style perks

OK, I restricted almost all of the powers during character creation, and only the Ghoul template has a batch of powers (I don't allow Supermutants to start). So, I'm building the perks with 20points as my target, with a 10% price reduction after they're built (I may change this as I detail more of them). Originally, I was going to allow a character to pick one every 20xp, but I think every 40 would be better

Noting that the standard Fallout background(s) are set at least a century after the Big War, the zones you refer to would certainly have blurred considerably in the years since - if just from simple erosion. Topography at the time of detonation would have been a significant factor as well - hills or valleys might protect some areas from certain effects, or make them more vulnerable. In any case, this could make the zones more than a series of circles or ellipses.

Also, if there was more than one nuke affecting a given area, there would have been overlap of the various zones as well.

Books present an interesting challenge. What I decided, since the effect was permanent, was that Books allowed a character to increase a skill at 1/2 cost or, in the case of general/background skills, 1 xp = +2 skill.

Magazines are much easier. Regardless of conversion, a Magazine granting a 1 time +2 bonus seems about right. With the appropriate perk, you would take that to +3.

I do also like your idea of the books basically being a skill focus and granting the bonus as long as it is in your possession. In which case a +1 is about right.

Skill books & magazines

I originally wanted to use skill books, but every +1 in Hero ~ +5 in Fallout it becomes really overpowering if you don't control availability of the books.

Then came New Vegas and skill magazines, a +2 temporary bonus is about the +10 you get in FO (+4 = +20). So, what if the skill books give you a temporary +1 and are reusable while magazines give you a temporary +2 but are Expeded? And with the comprehension perk you get a permanent +1from a book and it is unusable after that, while magazines give a temporary +4.

You still need to be carefull about placemen and number available, but not as much.

As a note, a bookstore is almost half fiction, half non-fiction. In the non-fiction titles less then 10% are going to satisfy a specific need. And once those beautiful plate glass windows break, and after the survivors pick out choice tinder for building fires, there's not going to be much left. A library is going to be similar, they do carry more non-fiction, but it tends to be more specialized, of course, more books means the odds are about the same. So you can expect to find a number of books that survive, but you can dictate what skill books are available.

Nukes & Overlap

Yah, that is an issue, but since I'm use google earth to plot the points out I can adjust according to what I see. My primary concern is making sure initial damage to the area reflects what should have happened. In other words, I'd like to be able to lay a template over the detonation sites and be able to determine the rough area where things would have been vaporized, set on fire, or remain untouched, as well as where the pressure wave should have done damage and how much should be expected in an area.

I use a random table built for Inspiration Pad to determine nuke spread from target zone, basically a scatter generator. I use the target potential of the site, from none to primary, to determine number of nukes, direction from target, and distance from target. I do adjust from there, adding or subtracting nukes as desired, or adjusting where they fall.

I ignore radiation in most cases since most were air-burst and there are very few times where enough nukes detonated in close enough proximity to create a lasting rad zone. In FO3, most high radiation zones were the result of dumping or a crashed aircraft. There are only two cases where enough nukes hit close enough together to leave a lasting rad zone (the White House and Vault 87), in both cases, the nukes appear to be surface or sub-surface blasts.

Books

I rambled a little on the end of the books post, but I felt that FO3 didn't really make undamaged books available enough, I think New Vegas hit the mark pretty well. But you'll notice that even with all those books, there's only 52 skill books in that region (+13 for Sierra Madre). If you plan on making skill books easily available, I go with requiring 6 or more skill books to get the permanent bonus, all of them being expended (you've learned everything you can from them). Cut the number required in half or reduce by a set number of books (2 or 3) if they have the comprehension perk. If going with multiple books to get the permanent bonus, I wouldn't allow the effects to stack, i.e., if you have 3 books on medicine, you only get a +1 to medicine, not a +3.

Of course, with Hero, there's a lot more skills to work with. Some of these skills I'd only give familiarity with the skill until they had a chance to practice it (Transport Familiarity, Combat Driving, etc). I think I'll go through the list of skills and figure out what's what.

New Topics?

I am considering adding a a couple more topics to cover specific parts of the conversion, like a bestiary, and maybe a vault or equipment thread.

Edits

Edited the first post and copied the links in other posts into that one, and added a few other links I ran across.

Levels Clarification & Perks (Fallout style)

There are inherent differences between a level based systems and story based systems that preclude using the same processes when try to convert from one to the other. This primarily affects the availability of perks, but only if you want to restrict their availability. If I do end up using Perks, the interval between them will likely be 40 points which I figure is close enough to every 2 levels. After building a few, a lot of them are coming in under 10 points, so I plan on reducing the cost by 1 point to encourage taking a 'world element'.

Scratch that, I think I'll award some of the experience as 'usable on perks only,' so 1 point out of every 4 or 5; or 1 for each session. Can't decide if I should allow other points to be spent on these perks. If I do, then I still need the intervals, if I don't, then I don't, the number of points the character has will control when they can buy them.

Speaking of perks, New Vegas added challenge based perks, where if you do a certain thing a certain number of times you get a perk. Sometimes it was a one-time perk, others could be gained up to three times adding to the benefits each time. i.e., Camel of the Mojave was a one-time perk that made water heal you better, while there are a number of perks where if you kill a certain number of creatures (50, 100, and 150), you gained a bonus to damaging them (3%, 6%, & 10%). Of course, this raises the question: what is the equivalent in Hero? is a single raise in DC equal to a 3% bonus or is it closer to a 10% bonus?

Bestiary?

Speaking of a bestiary, would you go for tailored for Hero System (take the core idea and write it up with Hero system), or try to stay as close to the source as possible? I'm leaning towards Hero tailored, using damage dealt by attacks as a guide to building the attacks.

• 2 months later...

Skill books & magazines

Was thinking about this one. One possibility is to rule that skill books represent a portion of all XPs that Characters get, rather than being an extra. Not how it happens in Fallout, I know, but worth consideration.

Yeah, that's essentially an easier version of my "1/2 cost" idea. Simple and to the point. I like it.

You could combine the ideas... while the book is in your possession you get +1 to your skill if you can reference it during a skill test AND it grants you a 1 time XP bonus to learning the skill. In a group context however, I'm not sure that works well.

What if... having the book gives you +1 so that it is a useful focus/reference, and everyone can learn from the book by spending a week reading it and getting a 1 time +1 points spent bonus on the skill.

Sounds good, makes the book immediately useful, gives them a reason to carry it around for a week per person, and provides a way to get a benefit that doesn't require the book. Only other limit is the understood 'can only study one book at a time'

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, awesome thread, great work.

I have just started a pbp Fallout HERO game, here is a list of Traits that I converted.

Bruiser benefit: +2 d6 N, +2 HTH lvls

penalty: -5 DEX for initiative

Built to Destroy benefit: +3 OCV, only for causing Critical hit

penalty: +1 d6 Transform: Weapon into non functioning weapon

Fade: only PS Weponsmith

Chem Reliant benefit: Power Def. 7 pts v. chem side effects

penalty: -3 to EGO roll to resist Addiciton

Chem Resistant benefit: +3 to EGO roll to resist Addication

penalty: +1 d6 Heal/minute v chem side effects duration

Increased Metabolism benefit: +2 d6 Heal(Environmental effects)/5 hours

penalty: Radiation Resistance & Poison Resistance start at -5 Power Def.

Fast Shot benefit: May Autofire 2 shots, any ranged, single shot weapon

penalty: May not use Called shots (Hit locations)

Four Eyes benefit: +3 Sight perception with Glasses on

penalty: -1 Sight perception with Glasses off

Gifted benefit: +1 Overall lvl

penalty: 1 d6 Unluck

Good Natured benefit: +2 All PRE based skills

penalty: -1 OCV

Heavy Handed benefit: +3 d6 N, +10 STR for Combat Maneuvers

penalty: -3 OCV for HTH critical

Jinxed benefit: 50% Dam Red v Side Effects

penalty: +1.5 effect on Side effects damage/area

Kamikaze benefit: +5 DEX for initiative

penalty: -1 DCV

Loose Cannon benefit: Rapid Attack, only for Thrown weapons

penalty: Max Throw range -5 STR

Night Person benefit: +1 to all INT/PER rolls at Night

penalty: -1 to all INT/PER rolls during day

One Hander benefit: +1 OCV CSL with One handed weapns

penalty: -2 OCV CSL with Two handed weapns

One In a Million benefit: If you hit and the attack roll is a triple,

treat as Critical + 1 d6 K

penalty: If attack roll is an 18, critically hit yourself

treat as Critical + 1 d6 K

Red Scare benefit: +2 PSL for Range with Sight PER

penalty: -1 OCV

Sex Appeal benefit: +2 PRE based skills with opposite Sex

penalty: -1 PRE based skills with smae Sex

Skilled benefit: +6 points for skills at chargen, exclude CSL

penalty: -2 to oppose Conversation/Persuation/Interrogation

Small Frame benefit: +1 DCV

penalty: -5 STR for Carry capacity

Trigger Discipline benefit: +2 OCV with guns and energy weapons

penalty: -2 shots from Autofire

Wild Wasteland benefit: Scavenging results go to Special Table

penalty: Scavenging results ignore Common Table

Nukes & Overlap

Yah, that is an issue, but since I'm use google earth to plot the points out I can adjust according to what I see. My primary concern is making sure initial damage to the area reflects what should have happened. In other words, I'd like to be able to lay a template over the detonation sites and be able to determine the rough area where things would have been vaporized, set on fire, or remain untouched, as well as where the pressure wave should have done damage and how much should be expected in an area.

I use a random table built for Inspiration Pad to determine nuke spread from target zone, basically a scatter generator. I use the target potential of the site, from none to primary, to determine number of nukes, direction from target, and distance from target. I do adjust from there, adding or subtracting nukes as desired, or adjusting where they fall.

Not to undermine your work, but these might help

A Google map tool that give you radii

http://www.carloslabs.com/projects/200712B/GroundZero.html

Scroll down to images of three different size/location images for what different conditions do.

http://www.radshelters4u.com/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...