Defense Cost Clarified

Hugh Neilson

Question

Sorry to do this, Steve, but I'm confused by one aspecy of this answer. Please feel free to delete the post, or send it to a different forum, if you want.

Let's see:

+18 PD = 18 points

+18 ED = 18 points

Hardened (+1/4) for 20 PD/20 ED = 10 points

Resistant (+1/2) for 20 PD/20 ED, Hardened (+1/4) = 25 points

So, 18 + 18 + 10 + 25 = 71 points.

At least, that's how you'll see it on sheets in published HERO System books (such as, say, the 300-odd villains I'm now revising/creating... ). If your GM wants you to do the math some other way, no skin off my nose.

It seems like the Bolded section is treating Hardened as an advantage on the Resistant advantage. Is that correct?

As a corrollary, if I want my 60 STR to be both Armor Piercing and Penetrating, this seems to imply I buy:

Penetrating for 60 points of STR = 30 points

AP for 60 points of STR which is penetrating = 90 x 1/4 = 22

Total cost 52, where making a 12d6 Blast AP and Penetrating costs 45 points.

Unfortunately, I'm hard pressed to think the result of your example is unreasonable, as it would cost 75 points to buy +20/+20 Resistant Protection, Hardened, and save 4 to sell back base PD and ED, for a total cost of 71, so it seems reasonable that buying it some other way would generate the same cost.

Since this is the "question" section, I guess my question should be:

"Am I correct that this differs because the Naked Advantage of Resistant on Defenses must also be Hardened because it benefits separate from PD/ED by such hardening, where the Naked Advantage of Pentrating need not be made AP (or vice versa) because neither Advantage is changed by the application of the other advantage."

1 answer to this question