Tesunden Isles

Nolgroth

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tesunden Isles

Update 10/15/10: In an unusual stroke of luck, I got today off instead of yesterday. Never one to question Providence, I took today to go visit my mother and some of my other relations (siblings, nieces, nephews, etc). All in all it was a very beautiful trip and very bolstering. I got to catch up on old times and was subjected to the unabated envy of my family's extraordinary view from their backyard. Stupidly, I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures of the mountains to the east of Dayton, NV. Absolutely gorgeous weather though. Cool and dry.

What this means is that I do not need to take next week off like I planned. So unless you all have made other arrangements for next week, the game is on and we only lost one week instead of two. Let me know how to plan this one. I'm going to work on the assumption that you planned stuff so please let me know if you want to game next week. Thanks.

-James

I'm in pretty constant contact with Merovign so I am sure it will be pro-gaming for him. Cool. That will be enough to plan a game around. Would like to see the rest of y'all (ghost-angel and Solron) there too, but I would be willing to work with what I have if previous arrangements have been made. Thanks for the replies.

After the post-game discussion last night, the following new rules are implemented.

All characters have a speed of 2. Initiative is determined by DEX and Lightning Reflexes. Characters have a max DEX of 20 still, but may buy Lightning Reflexes up to 30. Characters automatically sell back any Speed in excess of 2 and may allocate those points within campaign limits as described above.

The Stunned rules are removed from play. It was agreed upon that too many of the characters spent too much time getting up, only to be knocked down again before they could act.

As we are using the Quick OCV and Quick Damage macros again, Stun Multiple is used instead of the Hit Location chart. For called shots, the following rules are implemented; for shots to vital area (Head or Vitals) Body and Stun Damage are doubled. Extremities (Hands, Arms, Legs, Feet) that are hit with a Called Shot are impaired if the Body damage is high enough to warrant it. Otherwise they take standard damage from the attack. There are only three types of attacks (general, called shot-vitals (-5), called shot-extremity (-3)). Those are kept pretty non-specific in terms of location on the body.

The first two rules were by common assent. The last I included just to make things interesting should somebody want to call a shot and have something dramatic happen.

I've changed the following macros and copied them over to all tokens;

• All characters have the latest Quick OCV macro. It contains the Autofire mechanism. It does not account for Multiple Attack, like Sweep.
  • The new Quick Damage macro now has the -1, +1, +1d3 thing fixed so that it rolls out the proper damage. All tokens now have this macro too.
  • The newest Apply Damage macro accounts for your defenses (so you don't have to). The only thing it does not account for (because it cannot) is Damage Negation. That has to be calculated manually before putting numbers into the Quick Damage macro.

And that's the current State of the Campaign address.

One thing that I did not mention last night ( I was very tired and fighting ye old migraine all through the session ) but really wanted to stress; thank you Starwolf for being the lone voice of dissent in our discussion. I value the fact that you saw potential foibles in the process and wanted to make sure that all angles were considered before we jumped off the varying Speed Chart wagon. In addition, you've got the sole right to say "I told you so" if it all falls apart. :)

More thoughts on the Speed Chart. If you really want to very Speeds, why not temporarily.

Examples:

Gift of the Quickling

+1 Speed (10 Active Points), Time Limit (Remainder of current Turn +1 Full Turn)*, Gestures, Incantations, Requires a Magic Skill Roll, Delayed Use: 5 Minutes. Real Cost: 2 End Cost: 1

Warrior's Surge of Speed

+1 Speed (10 Active Points), Time Limit (Remainder of current Turn +1 Full Turn)*, Requires a CON Roll, Side Effect (automatic): All STR END Costs Doubled During Surge, Delayed Use: 5 Minutes. Real Cost: 2 End Cost: 1

Those two examples allow for a short burst of Speed once per combat (Encounter powers if you will) that might give a particular character the edge. The amounts can be raised to +2 Speed with minimum cost. The extra speed for 1 - 1.5 turn(s) would not overtax our time too much I think. And they are cheap enough that most of the group could buy some variant of that power for their moment in the spotlight. We can also apply a Side Effect: All END Cost is doubled (or more) during the turn where Speed is boosted to make it truly a tactical decision to use that sort of extra ability.

Just tossing out options.

Another thought on "varied" Speed;

Defensive Warrior: +1 Speed Only To Abort Actions (no attacks, no movement)

Master Warrior: +1 Speed Only To Perform One Extra Attack (no movement, no actions with Abort element)

each is a -1 Lim so each ability costs 5 Points; and since everything is locked into a Speed 2, these two speeds can be used before, inbetween, or after the Standard Actions in a Turn. I would suggest that you can only take one, but not both, options.

As a way of showing those who base their schtick around being expertly quick fighters.

I like those varied speed options...

One question, if I bought the Gift of the Quickling Spell, can I add the usable on others advantage? I think it would be very cool to ba able to temporarily boost one of my team mates SPD.

Yes. You can even grant it to everybody with a Usable Nearby option.

EDIT: Changed the Warrior's Surge power in the post above. I figured that Gestures and Incantations would not be required and a CON roll was more appropriate than a generic 14- roll. Besides, CON needs something to do now that Stunned has been removed as a combat feature.

As a Campaign rule, any given character can only have one of these options active during a given turn. They don't stack. That way you don't have three magi cast the Gift of the Quickling while the warrior uses the Warrior's Surge of Speed for a total of +4 Speed. That would be a little on the abusive side. Even if it only lasted 1 turn.

Going back to the Usable On Others advantage, I think it would be a neat concept to build that with the Usable Nearby option, but have the END Cost Multiple based on how many people were gifted. If it were just one, then the END cost is x1. Two then x2 etc. I am not sure I want to dictate that as a requirement, but the idea seems really inline with how I envision powers and "power ups" working.

And in a weird sense of deja vu' date=' I remember having this conversation about two decades ago about the abusiveness of Wired Reflexes in Shadowrun. Talk about coming around full circle.[/quote']

It seems that you have taken everyone back to everyone having the same speed. I am wondering the reasoning for it.

I remember when I use to play SR, a certain kept on using a "grandfather" clause, so he could keep his insane init roll. I never played SR1, so I did not know what the rules stated with mixing the different types of +speed items. He played a physical adept, that had the magical speed boost, wired reflexes, and the bio-ware version. Anyways, they wanted me to run a couple SR games for them, and I suggested that they make new characters, as I felt their favorite characters were all in violations of one rule or another. They were totally against it, until I told them that if they insisted on playing those characters they would have to be made rules legal. I guess no one wanted a labotomy to their favorite character, because they all showed up with new ones...