Firefly HERO RPG

Herolover

Well, it looks like I have been roped into doing a campaign based on the, now defunct, FOX tv show FIREFLY. I love science fiction and since HERO is my system I am of course going to doing Firefly HERO.

I know people have talked somewhat about it on this list and I have gone through the internet and found as much information as I feel I am going to reasonably find about the show.

However, I do have a couple of questions. How cinematic do you feel Firefly should be? Should Hit-locations be used? Wounding? What would you reccomend?

Shiny!

I would definitely run Firefly as a heroic game, with hit locations and heroic equipment rules. I'm not a big fan of the Wounding and Bleeding rules so I probably wouldn't use them, but they would certainly be appropriate.

The only place I would get really cinematic is in the travel times; it seems clear to me that there was a lot of hand-waving involved in that area.

Oh, and don't forget the DVD (with the three unaired episodes and other extras) coming out in December...

I'd agree with Talon's post, and add that Psionics and Cybernetics should be kept to an absolute minimum or outlawed altogether. Both exist in the firefly universe, but Psi looks to be passive only; River is a psionic powerful enough to warrent very serious central world interest, and never showed any powers beyond overall skill levels, some clairsentience and possibly some read-only telepathy. If you do allow Psi or cybernetics, I'd stick to a very limited list of allowable effects. You should probably write it up yourself.

That is pretty much what I am think as well.

I have one player that is playing an ex-Independent fighter pilot that is missing part of his leg. Basically I am ruling that he has a "cyber-limb" that is not much better than his normal limb would be, in fact a worse.

I really want to allow very low level psionics, but again feel as you do that I really can't.

Keep money/resources available to heroes at a minimum. Firefly heroes were in debt, on the run, criminals, or all of the above. Money was a motivation for many scenarios (but they never really spent much of it...must have happened off screen)

A lot could be done with reputations...certain characters had some on certain "worlds." Great way to do a backstory, make sure all characters come from somewhere, and make sure they go home sometime.

Obviously, some characters had secret identities, from other characters.

Nice thing about a firefly campaign, is the huge number of scenarios you could adapt to play. They ran the genre from Aliens, Hard Sci Fi, Western, to Cyberpunk.

If you put in anyone with "Heroic Powers", they should have major limitations in store for them. Maybe "Heroic Disadnvantages?".

I have one player that is playing an ex-Independent fighter pilot that is missing part of his leg. Basically I am ruling that he has a "cyber-limb" that is not much better than his normal limb would be, in fact a worse.

You could have it provide him with something...Have the cyber-limb provided by some former employer. Insert hidden explosive device within, then have former employer contact player, demand he do something for him. Sure, the character could just remove the limb...but finding a replacement will generate another scenario.

I really want to allow very low level psionics, but again feel as you do that I really can't.

Write them up as perks. Some of Riven's ""Skills", could have just been cramming and a smarty brain. Also, remember that she was in a confined environment (the ship). With so few minds around, her powers may have been increased (were very familiar, might just be a form of minlink and mind scan).

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Herolover

I was assuming a prostetic Limb about like what we see today. a detachable nicely carved, peice of plastic, with a lockable joint. (I'm to be the guy without a limb.)

Originally posted by Herolover

Well, the cool thing about Firefly getting cancelled so quickly was that there isn't much "canon" to violate. There may have been a few active psionics in the universe, they just weren't the focus of that show.

JG

A couple of things.

1) The leg thing.

The idea is that the character has an artificial leg. It isn't as good as a "real" leg, but it isn't bad either. Here is how I did it.

5 pt Physical Limitation -1 Dodge/Dive for Cover

-4" to normal running

I then bought +3" running IAF artifical leg.

2) No Firefly Cannon

I agree that it makes it somewhat easier. I wish they had run for one or two more season long enough to flesh out the universe without loosing some of the GM freedom I have now. I ham going to sit down with the group and go over some questions and see how they want the universe ran.