The Hudson City Playlist

Charlon

Recently I've been on a kick for a more atmospheric roleplaying environment for my group. It has come to my attention that having things like appropriate music would do wonders and help keep attention to the game if applied correctly. Using the setting book Hudson City, I've come to wonder what songs would be appropriate. So far, however, I have a playlist that has 109 songs (as of 9/10/2010) in it. If anybody has suggestions as to what music would be appropriate for what I would call quintessential Dark Champions (like God intended) I'm all ears. I'll be regularly posting additions to the list as I deem necessary. Any help would be heavily appreciated.

Re: The Hudson City Playlist

In my Dark Champions game I tend to use a lot of Heavy Metal. This is probably from personal preference but I find that action movies do the same thing so it works pretty well. Some of the Bands that I find particularly effective for action sequences are...

Drowning Pool, Monster Magnet, Disturbed, White Zombie, Pantera, Seether, Sevendust, Corrosion of Conformity, Godsmack amongst a host of others. I try for the aggressive tracks that really get the blood flowing.

For buildup I try to stick with slower more Doom or Goth Metal and less agression using bands like...

Lacuna Coil, Pentagram, Cathedral, Candlemass, Theatre of Tragedy, Type O Negative and even some Evanescence. I choose the tracks that are slow and basically set a dour mood.

I actively stay away from really popular songs that my players will know since I have found that it can become distracting. Fortunately they are quite the Metal connoisseur that I have become over the years.

Just what works for me your mileage may vary.

• 2 years later...