Has anyone ever done the Tomorrow People in Hero rules?

Mathew

I used to watch the Tomorrow People as a kid, later watched the sequel TV series and listened to the audio dramas. Has anyone ever worked out rules for Tomorrow People in hero games? Seems like a natural fit for a low power The Ultimate Mentalist or Mutant File campaign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow_People

As I recall the "Telepath" from the shwo had vrious telepathy, telekinesis and teleportation powers. Some powerful character pulled off some stunts, like universal translator, or telling if people were lying using their powers. They also had access to alien devices that could enhance their power range (belts for teleporting across planets and interplanetary travel). The telepaths were prohibited from killing as a side effect from their telepathic powers (total Psych Lim?)

If making up a package for a telepath it would probably have an EC of telepathy, telekinesis and teleportation, and for disads it would have CVK, Hunted (anti-telepathic forces) and Dist Feat - Detects as a mutant.

Anyone remember anything else?

Re: Has anyone ever done the Tomorrow People in Hero rules?

Anyone remember anything else?

I loved that show when I was a kid! It's all a little vague now though. I remember that they originally could teleport without assistance, but the belts (later watches) gave them a range boost and allowed Tim to help with navigation - but later it seemed they couldn't teleport at all without gadgets. There were also some kind of crystals that boosted their telepathic range, but I think that idea was abandoned early on.

Some of them were adept at mental illusions.

Didn't they have some kind of stun guns?

Yes, all Tomorrow people has those three powers. To define how they were used in the show:

Telepathy - At a base level mostly used to communicate with other telepaths over long distances. They would think something, and the other telepath would hear it. Used like a private radio. In some cases if another telepath was nearby, they would hear it too. Perhaps more like Mind Link or Radio transmit and recieve vs. ECV in Champions rules. Some individuals could do things like tell is someone was lying by hearing it in their thoughts, and understand languages by hearing the thoughts behind the words. They could also translate for others this way by putting the words in their heads.

Telekinesis - At basic levels they could make simple object float. They would glow, it was visible. At higher levels, I recall someone reflecting bullets with it. This was the least used power.

Teleportation - They could "jaunt" from one place to another. Usually by standing and concentrating. If two worked together they could carry the weight of an additional person. They had "jaunting belts" and platforms that could boost range of a jaunt. In some cases interplanetary range!

They also seemed to be really smart, learned quickly, total recall, the like.

Most alien species were essentially human-like, most had similar telepaths and non-telepath members. Telepaths ran most of the universe, and they had a rule to leave "primitive" species alone, which is why most aliens avoid Earth. With the emergence of the first telepaths on Earth, contact is made (secretly) and the series starts there.

The "Tomorrow People" have advanced tech like stun guns, environmental suits, and AI computers.

I have the original series on que at Netflix, but I warn anyone who plans to watch it DO NOT judge it by the episode "A Man for Emily"! That was the worst episode of any TV series ever broadcast. With Platinum haired bimbos and cowboys from space looking to reproduce with earthlings you'd think it would be a good episode, and yet somehow they still failed to make anything worth watching!

I just started watching the series from episode #1.

So far I've rediscovered that the teleporting seems to be limited to a couple kilometers without belts to boost the power. (in one scene Carol doesn't have a working belt, and says it took her 5 seperate jaunts to get from her house to John's house.) Also the belts are controlled and powered by their computer Tim. He increases the power as needed, and can help in the navigation (his scanners confirm that a place has no people around to witness a jaunt for instance, and makes sure they don't jaunt into something dangerous). With a belt they can jaunt planetwide. As the belts are powered by Tim, if you shut Tim off, the belts don't work at all.

Telekinesis is limited. Lifting a kilogram or two is about the max in this early story (although I know they do more in the later audio books). Also, some people seem to have very little TK ability, as they haven't practiced it.

There talk in the second episode about using their powers on an artifact they find to learn it's history (which they think they should be able to do theoretically), but they loose the object before they can try. So potentially there is "object reading" in the powers they could develop.

They also seem to be able to "link" (join hands around a table) to boost their telepathic strength. Their telepathy is also directional, as they found someone who was transmitting by listening from different places around the city, the drawing on a map the direction where each person heard it coming from. The result was them learning where the person was when they broadcast.

Also, Tim the computer is partly organic in nature, so he can hear/send telepathy, and he also has the basic abilities of a Star Trek replicator (can make meals appear on a table, for instance).

The bad guys have large scanner devices that can detect if someone is a telepath, and they have headbands they can put on someone to nullify their powers. They also have traps that can be set to mess up teleporting in an area, making someone who teleports get caught in "hyperspace".

Found another power demonstrated in the episode "The Blue and the Green", where Stephen is leaving before finishing his dinner. He looks back at the table and teleports a piece of fruit to his hand. Must be a low power, line of sight, teleport useable against others. Also in this episode Stephen telekinetically unlocks a locked door.

At one point in the episode John throws a telekinetic hailstorm of objects in a room at his targets.

I've been watching more episodes from Netflix. In the end of the episode "The Blue and the Green" Steven is able to erase the memories of the police men of Chris' crimes. The police are unconscious already when he does it, so I don't know if they can only erase memories of people who are unconscious.

In the episode "A Rift in Time" we learn their environmental suits have a chameleon circuit that can make them appear to be any normal type of clothes you want. The circuit can only be activated by a telepath, but if a normal person is wearing one, a telepath nearby can activate this circuit. Also, in the episode Chris and Steven have to sleep on the ground in ancient times. Chris has an aching back, while Steven explains that he hovered 1 centimeter over the ground all night with his telekinesis to get a good night's sleep.

• 3 weeks later...

They seem to show in several instances that Tomorrow People can heal people, but it's difficult, and it works better if several of them help. It's implied to make be a form of Telekinesis (they telekinetically repainr damage done to someone).

In the episode The Revenge of Jedikai, Elizabeth projects a hologram around herself that she's a different woman. Not sure if that's a 3d projection, or maybe a mental illusion.

In one episode, a Tomorrow Person does an astral projection to go out of body unseen and observe things far away. He said he could do that even before he broke out, and it's said only SOME tomorrow people/telepaths can do that.

Mike demonstrates powerful telekinesis before he fully breaks out, then once trained learns jaunting, and lastly learns telepathy (seemingly the opposite of most TPs who learn telepathy FIRST.)

With the almost regular loss of powers of tomorrow people (another bad guy seems to be able to block their powers this week... maybe Tomorrow People are vulnerable to Drains, Suppresses and Transfers of their powers?

• 1 year later...

In the Big Finish audio books John has become so adept at telekinesis that he can missile deflect rounds from a machine gun. Also, one member of the Tomorrow People looses an arm. They give him with a cybernetic arm, while they grow a new clone arm to replace it (which takes several weeks to grow), so that's a new technology.

In one Big Finish book one of the Tomorrow People goes crazy and is able to kill people. Seems that their prohibition to killing can be overridden by insanity.

List of powers:

Telepathy

Mental Illusions or Images

Telekinesis

Teleportation

Danger Sense

Missile Deflection

Aid (healing)

Flight (just to hover over the ground)

Eidetic Memory

Mind Control

Mind Scan

Perks:

Contacts with higher ups in state

Money

Base with a science lab

Contacts with alien government

Disadvantages:

CVK - total

Watched by the alien government and the higher ups in state

Hunted - nasty aliens and government spooks

Dist features (psychic mutant)

Psych Lim - Arrogant

Equipment:

Life support suits that can look like anything

stun guns

AI computers with Star Trek replicators that make food

Cyborg limbs and cloned limbs

teleportation enhancing belts

matter transporting belts (for teleporting equipment and normal people)

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the '90s reboot of tomorrow people. I suspect this one (if it makes it to TV) will shift to more of a teen romance/drama than the other reboot.

I wonder if they could get Christopher Lee on this new reboot to play Ramses again...

• 2 weeks later...

Funny thing is I listened to the Big Finish audio books, which had many of the original cast returning to contunie the original series. IN it they mention the 90's Tomorrow People series. They mention that some kids had a breakout while the original Tomorrow People were "off planet", but they did fine. So officially both TV series and the audio books are in one continuity.