Modular sci-fi weapons?

lendrick

Greets!

I'm putting together some gear for my sci-fi campaign and I was thinking it might be nifty for their phasor rifles to have a modular design. That is, a phasor rifle would be able to support one barrel (which determines the kind of shot that it fires), one sight (to give bonuses for various circumstances, allow you to see infra-red, etc), and one clip (which would be an endurance battery that would have a certain endurance total and possibly recharge at a certain rate). Switching out a module should be quick, but not instantaneous. The rifle should be functional without a barrel attachment or sight, but should require a clip.

At any rate, if I wanted these modules to be available for purchase separately from the gun itself, how might I go about building them?

Thanks!

Bart

Re: Modular sci-fi weapons?

Or since it's a heroic game hand wave writing up the pieces, and just say that those options exist. Bascially how weapons in Dark Champions get better scopes, larger magazines etc. It's bought with "money" so the points don't really matter.

One of the subtleties of GMing the Hero System is knowing what items need to be written up and how to do it.

I would start with the basic stripped down "rifle" (which sounds more like a pistol with stock). Then write up the weapon with each of the barrels attached. The sights are just enchances senses with either/both Combat Skill levels and/or Penalty Skill levels (to increase range mod). See below (I also included it as a Hero Designer Prefab so you could improve on it)

Cost Equipment (Equipment costs do not actually figure in Total Cost. They are included here for reference only.)

Modular Phaser Rifle options: Multipower, 60-point reserve, all slots 2 clips of 12 Charges (-0) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, Full phase to change Barrels (ie Slots); -1/2); all slots OAF (-1), Required Hands 2 hands (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), STR Minimum 8 (-1/4)

f 1) Base Rifle (Carbine): Blast 5d6 (25 Active Points); OAF (Rifle; -1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), Required Hands 2 hands (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), STR Minimum 8 (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), 2 clips of 12 Charges (-0)

f 2) Heavy Stun Barrel attached: Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); OAF (-1), Required Hands 2 hands (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), STR Minimum 8 (-1/4)

f 3) Heavy Kill Barrel attached: RKA 3d6 (45 Active Points); OAF (-1), Required Hands 2 hands (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4), STR Minimum 8 (-1/4)

Night Scope: (Total: 16 Active Cost, 9 Real Cost) IR Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); OIF Fragile (Scope; -3/4) (Real Cost: 3) plus +1 with a small group of attacks (3 Active Points); OIF Fragile (Scope; -3/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus +4 (8 Active Points); OIF Fragile (Scope; -3/4) (Real Cost: 4)

[ATTACH]37132[/ATTACH]

I agree with your point about not necessarily doing all of the calculations for every item. On the other hand, doing them gives you a nice estimate of how much a given thing should cost. My plan is to base item prices (with a certain amount of leeway) on the point costs, so that way when I give money out to players, I'll know roughly the amount of "points" I'm giving them in terms of the items they can buy.

My plan is to base item prices (with a certain amount of leeway) on the point costs' date=' so that way when I give money out to players, I'll know roughly the amount of "points" I'm giving them in terms of the items they can buy.[/quote']

Hmm. There was another thread about this a little while ago. It's may not turn out to be quite as simple as you'd think. Monetary costs are rarely determined purely on the basis of effectiveness, which IS what character points are based on.

Well, I wouldn't base the costs *purely* on the point values, but I think they ought to be taken into account. Obviously if there's an ability that you want to limit, you'd charge more for it, and if it's something that you want all the players to have, you'd charge less. Similarly, it would make sense that some things (like a throwing knige) might just cost way less than others (like a phasor rifle) despite possibly having point scores within the same order of magnitude.

My point is that while it shouldn't necessarily be the sole basis for determining costs, it's certainly a useful number to have in terms of game balance.