White Dwarfs

Midas

Re: White Dwarfs

I was considering setting up the ecosphere on the outside - Either Tolkien's Age of Stars, or Drow-world depending on preferred Eldar*. :)

Because the gravity on the inside of a Dyson sphere is zero, everything on the inside would slowly or quickly head off toward the central star.

What would the gravity be on the outside of a Dyson shell at 0.35AU?

Is the submarine trench ecology rather than a standard solar radiation one viable?

Note: I've got another post perculating on the tonnage of the dyson shell. let's just assume it has the volume from Cancer's first post.

How about crystals something like giant FO cables channeling dwarflight from the interior? A place for all that neon floating around.

BTW, unobtanium is an exotic compound of hydrogen and nitrogen. Neon functions something like carbon in steel, giving the unobtanium greater strength. :sneaky:

On one of Tasha's links, I found the concept of Statites. Interesting idea. How about puting huge solar sails/photovoltaic collectors at the tips of those pylons (can't call them "Weapon Pylons see post #3 for obvious reasons) on the inside of the shell. I think that those could be manipulated to adjust shell drift.

Midas

*Though I prefer the Eli to anything Wallethammer has put out. The Eli et al were the Space Elf Vikings of the old Starguard universe.

What would the gravity be on the outside of a Dyson shell at 0.35AU?

g / g(earth) = M(interior to sphere's surface)/M(earth) / [R(sphere)/R(earth)]^2. The mass, I think, will be dominated by that of the central star.

Working fast, I think it'd be about a half of a percent of Earth's present gravity, but I could have slipped decimal places there. Check my work.

If you are going to live in habitat modules' date=' it's a silly waste of time and resources to build a complete shell around the star.[/quote']unless you have synthetic gravity, it will always be a waste of time and resources

(unless you are doing it to extract the solar energy)

unless you have synthetic gravity, it will always be a waste of time and resources

(unless you are doing it to extract the solar energy)

I think the idea with most of the Dyson Megastructures are to do both. To give a place for a huge population to live and to gather a large proportion of the Primary's energy output for the population's use. I guess a civilization could use such a structure to gather the energy for a huge distributed mega computer (a Matrioshka brain) and have the civilization live on as uploaded data in the Brain's huge simulation of reality.