WWE Snark-Free Zone

Psybolt

If you'd told me five years or so ago that in 2019 I'd have dumped ROH for bad booking, while enthusiastically watching the former TNA I'd have said you were crazy, but that's precisely what's happened.  ROH has hired the Beautiful People and are pushing them over all the talented folks in their women's division while their heavyweight title is currently around the waist of the man who makes Randy Orton look charismatic, Matt Taven.  Combine that with the constant focus on Bully Ray and the Briscoes and I can't bear to sit through an episode of ROH TV to see the wrestlers I actually do like.  Meanwhile over on Impact they have the World Title on the awesome Brian Cage who has an actual interesting storyline going with Michael Elgin and Johnny Impact, LAX is having awesome title defenses against pretty much whomever they face, the Deaners have started a fun looking feud against the Desi Hit Squad and the roster is pretty much choc a bloc with wrestlers I like.  I'm hoping ROH can turn things around like Impact Wrestling has, because I really want to be a fan of both.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, death tribble said:

Brock Lesner  is Universal Champion again after the Extreme Rules pay per view

[deadpan] Yay. [/deadpan]  Time for the Big Red Belt to disappear for three months at a time 'til one of the Big Four PPVs rolls around.  Most of the reviews of Extreme Rules called it one of the best WWE PPVs in recent years, and an overall fantastic show ... until the very end.  Maybe the Rollins storyline wasn't that hot (honestly, some of the stuff with Becky was kinda cringy), but it was still better, to me, than putting it on Lesnar.

On the upside, I had written the Undertaker off, declared him an empty husk who had no hope of ever putting on a decent match again ... from the looks of things, I'm pleasantly wrong.  It just took putting him in a tag match with someone who *can* go a while.

• 3 weeks later...

He went to New Japan and Ring of Honor and was allowed to do more with a group and within a group of talented wrestlers The Bullet Club (especially Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks). The matches that they had got more traction and notice and this helped him flourish as well.

As to setting up the company I have no idea 

• 3 weeks later...

AEW appears to be drawing talent from all over and hand picking people. Lucha Brothers from Lucha Underground (though weren't a team there). People from NJPW and Ring of Honor. Also, with Young Bucks involved, they seem to be trying to actually feature the tag teams. They start on TNT in October, so may give them a chance as part of the talent running the show, they actually are trying to be better to the wrestlers and with Khan's money behind them, seem to be doing well so far.

I have been watching NJPW and Lucha Libre started recently (couldn't be more opposite - NJPW is all about the in ring stuff, Lucha Libre on El REy network does a LOT of "Aztec" mysticism. but in both cases the matches tend to be pretty amazing.

I am beyond surprised McMahon, who we all know takes himself WAY too seriously, is permitting this to air.  On the other hand, it reinforces his bad guy 'Mr. McMahon' character that went out of vogue 20 years ago, so it is in keeping with Vince's living-in-the-past philosophy.

If the XFL actually succeeds, anybody taking bets on if he tries to revive the World Bodybuilding Federation?

On 9/4/2019 at 6:23 PM, Twilight said:

Heard they got the title back.  Wouldn't be surprised if it turns into a storyline though.

Oh, if they don't make a worked shoot out of this, they are missing a golden (no pun intended) opportunity, no doubt.  They should just go "Okay, Jericho, this is your bit now.  Have fun with it."

• 4 weeks later...

Brock Lesnar has taken the Heavyweight title from Kofi Kingston. So WWE then pull something unexpected by having Cain Velasquez turn up and beat up Lesnar. The claim is that Velasquez beat Lesnar in UFC in 1 round.

Gargano Ciampa and Balor are all back in NXT which apparently is up against AEW.

Talking of which Riho is the inaugural women's champion. They have Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone on commentary.

• 3 weeks later...